Thread: Two potentially disastrous errors in Zone Alarm for Vista?

theycallmedok Guest

Default Two potentially disastrous errors in Zone Alarm for Vista?

I'm new to the forum (posting at least, I've been reading posts occasionally for years) and don't mean to cause any undue alarm or controversy
    (hopefully there's a good explanation for this), but I need to report this somewhere and get feedback. I've been using Zone Alarm for several years and have installed and maintained the free and full versions for many friends and family, but what I've seen on Ultimate so far looks like a disaster in the making. First of all, after using Vista Ultimate for a few weeks, it's clear that the green and red indicators that are supposed to light up in proportion to incoming and outgoing Internet traffic don't work properly at all. Both will activate when any program establishes a new Internet connection, but after the first few packets are sent, it goes silent. After that, the connection doesn't register either in the tray or inside the full Zone Alarm GUI. I've downloaded hundreds of MBs
    using AOL, Windows Update, Internet Explorer and a dozen other programs and the behavior's the same: Zone Alarm's Internet meter doesn't report that the packets are being sent. There's no doubt about it.
    I can live with that, but it's clear to me now that Zone Alarm either isn't logging blocked inbound connections, or worse yet,
    isn't blocking anything whatsoever.

After about 3 weeks of constant Internet use on
    AOL dialup,
    I haven't had a single packet blocked on Zone Alarm Vista, whereas the Zone Alarm on my XP system
    is still
    getting scores of blocked packets a day. I've seen questions posted here and on other forums over the years about Zone Alarm having 0 blocked intrusions since install and the standard answer has always been to tell the user that they're probably safe behind a NAT or whatever. Maybe that was true in the case of those users, but not in my case; I'm not behind a NAT, and Zone Alarm running on XP on the same Internet account catches scores of errors. Here's the kicker: I have a competitor's free firewall protecting my Vista computer as I post this and it's catch packets like crazy (including many from such familiar hacker addresses as ShawCable, etc.). Zone Alarm either caught nothing or logged nothing.
    Again, hopefully I'm overreacting and there's a good explanation for this. If there's not a good explanation, it makes me wonder about the safety of the millions of other Zone Alarm users who think their computers are protected when they may actually be wide open, and
    about how to warn people.
    In the mean time, I will have to advise all of the friends and family I help with firewall protection not to use
    ZA on Vista until this is straightened out; I can't in good conscience recommend them a product that might be horribly broken. I hope I am
    wrong. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.
    -- Dok

Operating System:Windows Vista Ultimate
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

loveyouforever Guest

Default Re: Two potentially disastrous errors in Zone Alarm for Vista?

Hi,

Do you know if there is/are additional software/driver(s) installed which may block the network socket and prevent ZoneAlarm from scanning internet traffic correctly? How about the other firewall, is it removed from your system?

Best regards,

loveyouforever

theycallmedok Guest

Thanks for your reply.
    No, nothing out of the ordinary. I have the same software running on this disk as on the XP disk, which doesn't include anything that might interfere with network connectivity. In fact,
    I made sure Zone Alarm was one of the first applications I installed after Vista because I wanted to make sure that I had firewall protection while downloading weeks worth of updates. The behavior has been the same from Day 1 however.
    The other Zone Alarm firewall (for XP) is on a different disk, which only boots up when I switch the hard drive priority in the BIOS so that it boots that one instead, so there's really no way it could interfere. I have also tried running Zone Alarm on the Vista machine with the Vista firewall both on and off, so that's not the culprit either. I put off posting in the forum for a few weeks while I tried to eliminate variables like that (including spyware, viruses, etc.), but have run out of ideas for things to check. I hope it's something else, because I'd hate to think that the new Zone Alarm simply doesn't work at all, but I'm not sure what it could be.
    Thanks,
    Dok

miss Guest

Has anyone else had a similar problem like this? What is the difference between Vista and regular windows?

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>TheyCallMeDok wrote:
    Thanks for your reply. No, nothing out of the ordinary. I have the same software running on this disk as on the XP disk, which doesn't include anything that might interfere with network connectivity. In fact,I made sure Zone Alarm was one of the first applications I installed after Vista because I wanted to make sure that I had firewall protection while downloading weeks worth of updates. The behavior has been the same from Day 1 however.The other Zone Alarm firewall (for XP) is on a different disk, which only boots up when I switch the hard drive priority in the BIOS so that it boots that one instead, so there's really no way it could interfere. I have also tried running Zone Alarm on the Vista machine with the Vista firewall both on and off, so that's not the culprit either. I put off posting in the forum for a few weeks while I tried to eliminate variables like that (including spyware, viruses, etc.), but have run out of ideas for things to check. I hope it's something else, because I'd hate to think that the new Zone Alarm simply doesn't work at all, but I'm not sure what it could be.Thanks,Dok
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> to the Zone Alarm User Forum..It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..
    If you would Describe your Computer Setup/OS and Version of Zone Alarm that you are having a problem with
    and what difficulty you are having, and what Previous Version of ZA and Norton, McAfee or other Security programs that you have installed,
    there are several very knowledgeable Volunteer Participants willing to help you try solving your problem with Zone Alarm..Please provide as much detail and error messages etc. that you see on your ComputerMonitor.
    1.) How are you Accessing the Internet? a.) Broadband Cable, DSL, ADSL, b.) Dial Up, c.) Satelite Dish, d.) Other2.) is Your computer On a LAN Network? a.) Router/Hardware Firewall , b.) Switch with NAT or firewall, or Modem with NAT Firewall?3.) any other security Software installed on Vista or XP?---------------------------------------
    My Vista Configuration:

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.1.248.000
    TrueVector version:7.1.248.000
    Driver version:7.1.248.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:945058605
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200802.3345
    AntiSpam version:5.0.0.8843
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Second Computer
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:7.1.248.000
    TrueVector version:7.1.248.000
    Driver version:7.1.248.000
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200802.3345------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:945058605
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200802.3345
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Miss wrote:
    Has anyone else had a similar problem like this? What is the difference between Vista and regular windows?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>to User Miss:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=48482
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information