Thread: what to buy?

mhuser Guest

Default what to buy?

Could anyone help me with the following?

I want to use NOD32 as virusscanner, and ZoneAlarm Pro as firewall, it is for my company (small business from home).
    What is best to buy?

1. ZA Internet Security (home office version is cheaper than ZoneAlarm Pro):
    > questions: is home office version also for commercial use/companies?
    > Does Kaspersky antivirus that is used in ZA Internet Security, work with NOD32? can they both be used?
    2. ZoneAlarm Pro as firewall (combined with my NOD32 antivirus)

Many thanks in advance!

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

watcher Guest

Default Re: what to buy?

Dear mhuser:

I will give you my opinion and my reasons for it. One, I am against security suites, such as ZAISS, because they create a single point of failure if they crash or if they are attacked. These suites use common files, just like Windows operating systems, to run their various tools and reduce the size of the program. These files can be targeted to create a DoS situation or create trojan versions of the real ones. Also, their various tools sometimes have integration problems where they don't work well together plus they are usually resource hogs.

Two, by using one brand of firewall, a different brand antivirus, a different brand antispyware, etc., you create a defense in depth strategy whereby if something gets by your firewall, you still have 2 or more other defenses to protect you from any breach of security. By not revealing what brands you use, you have STO, security through obscurity, which can make it harder for a hacker to attack you. Hackers usually employ reconnaissance on a target system before attacking it. During this phase, they find out what operating system and services are running on the target system before they decide how to attack it.

So, given your choices, I'd take the NOD32/ZAPRO combo. Don't forget an antispyware utility and disk sanitizer utility as well.

Note that you cannot use 2 antivirus programs on the same computer or 2 firewalls. Unpredictable events can occur.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

mhuser Guest

Dear Watcher,
    Many thanks for your useful advice!
    Best regards,
    Maaike

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>mhuser wrote:
    Dear Watcher,
    Many thanks for your useful advice!
    Best regards,
    Maaike
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree with WATCHER Senior Contributor,
    I've used ZAPro with Kaspersky Anti-Virus for years with very good results..and If you want to use NOD32 as virusscanner, ZAPro would be a good choice,with the precaution the Watcher gave you, about NOT running Two Firewall or Two Anti-Virus programs on the same Computer..Because Multiple Firewall or AV programs will Conflict with each other and cause problems..Please post back with your Results..Thank You..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information