Thread: Zonealarm update freezes everything else

jitse Guest

Default Zonealarm update freezes everything else

Hi ho,

Lately I've been having some troubles with my Zonealarm (Zonealarm Pro 7.0.337.000) installation. Every time it updates it seems to block everything else on my pc. I can move my cursor, I can click things etc. but they mainly just don't react until the update of Zonealarm is done. This is especially annoying when it automatically updates at startup, because my startup time takes remarkably longer because of that. A good example is when I click Firefox, it opens up, but it loads eternally until Zonealarm is finished updating.

Very recently it even got worse, because, for no reason at all, Zonealarm sporadicly updates for a short time. It feels as if the update is sometimes triggered by certain actions I'm doing (having nothing to do with Zonealarm at all). A good example that happened twice now is when I'm busy with MS Visual Studio 2005, Zonealarm suddenly starts updating when I click the Debug&Run button (or F5) of Visual Studio. Then it blocks the compiling/booting until it's finished updating.

I also noticed that, at startup, when you look at the Zonealarm icon in the taskbar, it sometimes changes to the updating icon rapidly, and then changing back a few times (kind of flickering). This happens before he actually really starts updating.

I searched on this forum and the internet in general, but I didn't immediately find someone else having this problem, that's why I'm posting it here.

Thanks in advance,
    Jitse De Wandel

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: Zonealarm update freezes everything else

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Jitse wrote:
    Hi ho,

Lately I've been having some troubles with my Zonealarm (Zonealarm Pro 7.0.337.000) installation. Every time it updates it seems to block everything else on my pc. I can move my cursor, I can click things etc. but they mainly just don't react until the update of Zonealarm is done. This is especially annoying when it automatically updates at startup, because my startup time takes remarkably longer because of that. A good example is when I click Firefox, it opens up, but it loads eternally until Zonealarm is finished updating.

Very recently it even got worse, because, for no reason at all, Zonealarm sporadicly updates for a short time. It feels as if the update is sometimes triggered by certain actions I'm doing (having nothing to do with Zonealarm at all). A good example that happened twice now is when I'm busy with MS Visual Studio 2005, Zonealarm suddenly starts updating when I click the Debug&amp;Run button (or F5) of Visual Studio. Then it blocks the compiling/booting until it's finished updating.

I also noticed that, at startup, when you look at the Zonealarm icon in the taskbar, it sometimes changes to the updating icon rapidly, and then changing back a few times (kind of flickering). This happens before he actually really starts updating.

I searched on this forum and the internet in general, but I didn't immediately find someone else having this problem, that's why I'm posting it here.

Thanks in advance,
    Jitse De Wandel

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

There have been two New Updates to ZAPro 7.0.337.000,

The problems that you are experiencing with ZAPro 7.0.337.000 are known problems that have been fixed with ZAPro 7.0.408.000

Here is the Download link..

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...ml#7.0.408.000

One Precaution after you Download 7.0.408.000

Please go into ZAPro 7.0.337.000 Overview - Preferences and Un-Check "Load Zone Alarm Pro on Startup"

Then Reboot your computer before Installing the New Upgrade..

Please keep us Posted on your progress..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jitse Guest

Hmm, this seemed to change some things. At least it doesn't block everything else anymore, and it doesn't randomly update or flicker etc. Thanks for that.

But one thing still bothers me, my PC's booting time is remarkably longer when Zonealarm is booted as well. It doesn't really 'block' as I described in my first post (that's now repaired), but when I enter my username when I login on Windows (XP Home) the login screen loads for a long time, and when it disappears my desktop wallpaper shows up, but nothing else (no icons, no taskbar, ...); that again takes a very long time, and after a while it finally shows the real booting process with a taskbar and the icons appearing and so on. (At that moment - I think - it actually really starts booting, because after that it takes as long as when I don't have Zonealarm in my booting processes.)

I didn't have this in the past, neither my brother has at the moment (he also uses Zonealarm). I'm going to try a fresh clean Zonealarm install though, see if that changes anything.

Message Edited by Jitse on 11-08-2007 09:04 AM

jitse Guest

Alright, I tried a clean install but that didn't help. After that, I installed another firewall, and that one even gave me more problems at booting time. So I'm quite sure it's just my PC, so nevermind my complaints. I just formatted my harddisk (was planning to anyway) and reinstalled OS, programs, ...

I'm not going to test if ZA works now though, because I prefer another firewall at the moment. The main reason I changed is because ZA Professional/Security Suite hasn't got a Vista 64bit version yet (that's for my laptop though, but I like to use the same firewall on both computers), and secondly because there's a simple thing that makes ZA very annoying. The pop-up you get when it gets an incoming connection or whatever, and he asks your permission, also accepts keyboard input. That doesn't sound weird, but it's actually quite annoying. Every time I'm typing something (forum, chat, ...) and a ZA alert pops up, I of course accidentally pressed space or so, and automatically allow the connection. Then I have to go all the way to the log, to see what it was, and if it was a keylogger I would have been quite too late, hehehe. I'm just saying it because I noticed other ppl having the same problem with the pop-up thing, so maybe it's better if you find a way to bypass that, or just remove the keyboard input possibility.

Thanks for the replies though,
    Jitse De Wandel

Thread Information