Thread: How do I prevent klif.sys from loading?

fjordaan Guest

Default How do I prevent klif.sys from loading?

Background: I'm trying to use an HFS+ formatted external drive with WinXP, and am using MacDrive by Mediafour which is made for this purpose. But when trying to access the drive, I sometimes get a BSOD with "multiple_irp_complete_requests", otherwise Explorer simply becomes unresponsive. I contacted Mediafour's support and they told me it's a known issue with klif.sys.

So I want to disable klif.sys to test if it makes a difference. Setting Zonealarm not to load on startup does not do the trick: I still see klif.sys under System Drivers in System Information. I can't move or delete the actual file as it's in use. I don't want to uninstall Zonealarm as I spent a long time configuring it.

Here are related posts that I have read:

http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...ssage.id=46207
    Oldsod states I can use either Method A or B. I'd prefer A. But please be more specific than "what ever else is related to Zone Alarm"! I don't see any of the drivers he mentions, after showing hidden devices. Where should I look for them? Which exactly should I disable?

http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...ssage.id=46180
    Despite what Frustratedmore says, TrueVector Internet Monitor Service does go to "Manual" in Services if unchecked from starting at startup, i.e. is not loaded. But klif.sys (and who knows what else) still is.

At the moment, the only thing I can think of doing is saving a System Restore point, uninstalling ZoneAlarm, and rolling back to the restore point if it doesn't work. But I'd prefer something less drastic.

I'm also confused as to why klif.sys is loaded in the first place. I use the free version of ZoneAlarm, and therefore do not have (or want) an anti-virus component in ZoneAlarm.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: How do I prevent klif.sys from loading?

ZA free does not need the kasperky drivers to work, as far as I know.

But if the ZA free still works properly after removing the kaspersky files, I have no idea. You will be on your own with the following advice and I can not be responsible for the outcome.

Open the XP in the safe mode.
    Delete these files:

kl1.sys, klick.sys, klif.sys, klin.sys, klop.sys in the windows\system32\zonelabs folder
    (check the windows\system32\drivers folder too).

delete their respective registry keys in here:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentSet001\Enum\Root\ LEGACY_
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHIME\SYSTEMy\CurrentSet002\Enum\Root LEGACY_
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHIME\SYSTEMy\CurrentSet003\Enum\Root LEGACY_
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\R oot\LEGACY_
    Actually just do the Find for the above files and you may find more.
    Clean the Recycle Bin.

Other than that I would recommend to use the ZA free 6.5. This installer has no bloat from the ZAISS and is very close to be being a "clean and lean" installer.

BTW the klif.sys or some related driver should be appearing under the plug and play devices (whenthe show hidden drivers is enabled). Check the properties and often a clsid or guid or some value can be seen and then used in the find. But be very careful! Often a value can be directly related to the item and safe to delete in the registry, but often the value is more generic and can cover a lot of items.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

fjordaan Guest

Thanks very much for the helpful response! I'll try it out after work.

I still have the ZA 6.5 installer (and was somewhat worried by its ballooning from 13MB to 39MB in 7.0). Can I "downgrade" (by running the 6.5 installer) and still retain my current settings? Will downgrading remove the extra ZAISS components? Or, can I somehow export/save my ZA settings, so as to import them after uninstalling ZA and reinstalling it?

Your setting are saved in the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files found in the WINDOWS\Internet Logs folder. Just start in the safe mode (not the normal mode) and copy these two files and save these else where.

Then do the " /clean" uninstall method while still in the safe mode. Please do not start the ZA in the safe mode. Just ignore it.

- Click on Start -> Programs -> Zone Labs
    - RIGHT-click on Uninstall ZoneAlarm, then select Properties
    - Under Target you will see the following line (the actual drive may
    be different on your system):

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe"

Change it to:

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean /rmlicense

(please add a space and then the /clean /rmlicense)

-Return to or open the Uninstall ZoneAlarm in the Zone Labs of the All Programs
    - Click OK to run the uninstaller, and OK any security alerts that
    pop up.
    - say "Yes when being prompted for the removal of all files.
    - Reboot
    - maually remove these folders:

WINDOWS\ Internet Logs

Program Files\Zone Labs

WINDOWS\system32\ Zonelabs

Now install the older ZA 6.5. After the install and obligatory reboot do some alerts and then restart in the safe mode. Now replace the newly created backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files with the saved backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb. Only in the safe mode can the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb be copied or deleted or moved. After the reboot back to the normal mode, the ZA should be more or less showing all of your previous settings and it should be as though nothing has changed. Just make sure this is done as well:

Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Extra help is found at Guru Hoov site for the DNS/DHCP.

And make sure the sliders are at the correct levels as before.

Cheers, Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 11-13-2007 06:54 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information