Thread: Update to complaint about Windows Vista and Zone Alarm...

danretiredman Guest

Default Update to complaint about Windows Vista and Zone Alarm...

Previous message follows:
    I just installed Zone Alarm Suite on my Windows Vista system and rebooted.
    After the system comes back up it runs so slowly that it took me over 2 hours to get to the point where I could send this e-mail, and that only happened because I totally shut down Zone Alarm!
    I don't know what is going on at this point, but with Zone Alarm running my system is completely unusable - and this is not
    at all a case where I am overly hyping the situation.
    The really strange thing is the Task Manager (it took me over 45 minutes to bring it up!) shows that
    the CPU utiliization is rather low (less than
    30%)
    and the disk-drive light just flashes intermittently.
    Help!!!
    System information:
    Medion MD 96340 notebook computer running an AMD Athlon
    64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-53 running at 1.7 GHz. with 1919 MB of memory.
    Help!!!

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:
    7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Update:

Turned on my computer this morning, and the system was rebooting so slowly (i.e. getting to the point where I could even see the contents of the Start Menu) that I went away for about 3 hours to do some errands and visit some people.
    When I got back, the boot process still had not completed!
    So, as an experiment, I hit ctrl-alt-delete to try to start the task manager to see what was running so I hopefully could see what was taking so long.
    At this point I
    got a dialog box on a totally black screen with something about the "logon process was unable to
    create the security dialog".
    I hit the "OK" button, and after some waiting I was taken back to the Vista Desktop.
    Repeating the above, I got the same result (no Task Manager or other options!)
    Finally, I just turned off the system.
    When I restarted, I was queried as to whether I wanted to go into "Safe Mode", and I selected "Safe Mode with Networking".
    The system came up fine with no complaints, so I shutdown and rebooted into non-"Safe Mode" windows, at which time I got the same results as before (although I waited for only a half an hour this time)!
    This time around I when I was in Safe Mode and selected "System Restore" to restore the system to the point before I installed Zone Alarm.
    (I also lost a "Windows Update" session...)
    The system restore took a very long time (over an hour!), but when it finished and I logged into non-"Safe Mode" Windows everything came up quite quicly (I didn't actually time it...) and the system has been running find (although with no Zone Alarm!) and I have not had a problem since!
    What is going on here???
    I have been a long-time user (since Windows NT and possibly before, although I started with the "free" version), and I have been very happy with it up to now!
    But I am not happy with it any longer...

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

prof_fate Guest

Default Re: Update to complaint about Windows Vista and Zone Alarm...

Here is a Forum link that may explain some of the problem you were having.. ?
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=162

Thread Information