Thread: Advantage of installing ZA on more than one computer?

douglasmurray Guest

Default Advantage of installing ZA on more than one computer?

If I install ZoneAlarm Pro or Security Suite on the computer connected to the internet only, what gains are there in installing on the other computer on my network?
    Is not the whole network protected from the single installation.
    Thanks,Doug

ianhobson Guest

Default Re: Advantage of installing ZA on more than one computer?

Hi Doug,

The biggie - you know when something that shouldn't is trying to get out. So you know quite quickly if you have picked up some problem.

Other reasons - If you have port forwarding on the firewall, and IPs change, as can happen with DHCP, there is no risk of an unprotected machine being exposed to the internet.

If your firewall is compromised, there some protection to the rest of the network.

Finally, there is some protection against human error. I run the network firewall on this machine under VMWare. This means that the host O/S should not know about the external LAN card. To achieve this, I have removed all the drivers except the VMWare bridging driver from the host. It looks wrong, because it means that internet packets apparently have nowhere to go! In fact they are bridged into the firewall, that returns the acceptable packets on a logical network connected to the other LAN card and the rest of the network. It would be very easy for someone who did not understand the set-up to open the whole network up to internet traffic by reinstalling the drivers, not to mention what would happen if the cables were swapped.

Regards

Ian

bigdawg_daddy Guest

Default Re: Advantage of installing ZA on more than one computer?

<blockquote><hr>douglasmurray wrote:
    If I install ZoneAlarm Pro or Security Suite on the computer connected to the internet only, what gains are there in installing on the other computer on my network?
    Is not the whole network protected from the single installation.
    Thanks,Doug
    <hr></blockquote>Here is my two cents worth..
    IMHO, either of your two computers are ONLY as Safe as the User that is using them..
    1.)
    If your using a Router like D-Link or Linksys to connect both Computers to the internet, the Router is providing some measure of protection, however, the Computer that has ZA installed in more protected than the 2nd Computer..
    2.) the Second Computer

may be protected from incoming Treats while Not Surfing the internet.., But one you Access the internet from the 2nd Computer, the ZA on the first computer if Configured to allow the 2nd Computer to have Access to the internet, Then the 2nd Computer is On it's on.. and If the User Download an Infected Program or Clicks on the Wrong Pop-up on a Web site that installs a Virus or Keyloger on the 2nd Computer, IMHO, ZA on the First Computer may not protect you because you are allowed to By-pass the protection..
    3.) I would recommend using a ZAFree or even Windows Firewall on the 2nd computer..

douglasmurray Guest

Default Here is my network setup. Does this change your answers?

Computer A has Internet security Suite and is connected to the internet via a network card and modem.
    Computer B has ZA Free Edition installed and is networked to Computer A via a crossover cable.
    So Computer A is acting as the Internet Gateway for Computer B.

Thanks to everyone for your time!

Regards,

Doug

Thread Information