Thread: system installation of update package failed:'0-UpdatingDll-70 1.3.11.0'

aabbcc Guest

Default system installation of update package failed:'0-UpdatingDll-70 1.3.11.0'

Every day an error box opens with this message:

system installation of update package failed:'0-UpdatingDll-70 1.3.11.0'
    When this box pops up my screen saver is turned off.
    What is causing thie error and how do I fix it?
    I have reinstalled, reinstalled
    with a
    cleaned the registry and tried everything that I can think of.
    This error is not part of the antivirus updater...that works fine.
    version 7.0.408.000
    thanks

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: system installation of update package failed:'0-UpdatingDll-70 1.3.11.0'

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum!

I am very sorry that you are having issues with ZA and hopefully I will be able to help you find a solution.

PLEASE go to the following thread, THANKS.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=25154

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

3. Default Re: system installation of update package failed:'0-UpdatingDll-70 1.3.11.0'

Well, I followed these directions:
    {
    Start/Run
    Enter 'gpedit.msc'
    In the tree pane, open Computer Configuration
    Open Windows Settings
    Open Security Settings
    Click on Software Restriction Policies
    Under 'Object Type' double click Trusted Publishers
    Under 'Allow the following users to select trusted publishers' select 'End Users'
    Click 'OK'
    I then rebooted, tried again and VIOLA. It updated like a charm.}
    But when I got to the "Software Restriction Policies" there was nothing inside, no objects to modify.
    So, I added an object and followed the rest of the instuctions.
    After rebooting the same error message popped up almost immediatly.
    This does not seem to be the fix for my computer After rebooting I also followed the directions one more time, and
    this time everything was done as described in the directions...the "End Users' button was already checked.
    Any more suggestions?
    I am about to uninstall this $30 program.
    I have used zone alarm for years and have never had any problem.
    This version is just killing me!
    Thanks for your help

dsga Guest

Default Re: system installation of update package failed:'0-UpdatingDll-70 1.3.11.0'

Hello aabbcc --

I too had exact same problem you describe. I too followed the suggestion on this thread with update to security policy. I too did NOT have a "Software Restriction Policies" object to click/select/modify.

After repeatedly farting around with this problem (posted a message on this months+ ago), with all ZoneLabs 7.0.x releases to date, I've been running latest available 6.7.x release to avoid.

I think the UpdatingDll-70xxx package relates to update to AV scanner. If the update package finds existing files from other AV install (ie. previous installation of Kaspersky, eTrust, etc -- unsure exactly which ZA7x using), it barfs.

Thus, you need to follow steps for complete ZA7 un-installation -- posted at following thread:
    http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...message.id=103

When I ran the "search step" using provided terms, I found a couple additional ZA/AV files in /windows/system32.

After completion of all steps, reboots, and re-install -- the UpdatingDLLxxx step should work. After initial install and subsequent reboot, immediately kick of software update via -- //overview tab/preferences/check_for_update.

-GA

dsga Guest

My apologies -- my proposed steps below do NOT resolve the issue. After following steps below, I'm still receiving same error upon ZA update.

I stick by my assumption that problem relates to presense of previous software package (or orphaned files). I've had Kaspersky v5 AV and FW on this machine in past ... maybe the source of problem?

-Ga

<blockquote><hr>dsga wrote:
    Hello aabbcc --

I too had exact same problem you describe. I too followed the suggestion on this thread with update to security policy. I too did NOT have a &quot;Software Restriction Policies&quot; object to click/select/modify.

After repeatedly farting around with this problem (posted a message on this months+ ago), with all ZoneLabs 7.0.x releases to date, I've been running latest available 6.7.x release to avoid.

I think the UpdatingDll-70xxx package relates to update to AV scanner. If the update package finds existing files from other AV install (ie. previous installation of Kaspersky, eTrust, etc -- unsure exactly which ZA7x using), it barfs.

Thus, you need to follow steps for complete ZA7 un-installation -- posted at following thread:
    http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...message.id=103

When I ran the &quot;search step&quot; using provided terms, I found a couple additional ZA/AV files in /windows/system32.

After completion of all steps, reboots, and re-install -- the UpdatingDLLxxx step should work. After initial install and subsequent reboot, immediately kick of software update via -- //overview tab/preferences/check_for_update.

-GA
    <hr></blockquote>

Thread Information