Thread: Cannot network 2 computers and connect to internet with both.

douglasmurray Guest

Default Cannot network 2 computers and connect to internet with both.

Cannot network 2 computers and connect to internet with both.

Windows XP Pro SP2.

ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite v7

I have 2 computers linked by a crossover cable and the onboard network controller.
    This connection is successful as I can ping both computers from the other, map network drives, print etc.

Computer A is successfully set up as the Default Gateway to connect to the internet via a network card and Cable Modem by running the network setup wizard in Windows
    XP SP2.

Computer B is setup as the client computer by running the network setup wizard in Windows
    XP SP2.

When ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite v7 is not installed on either computer, I can access the internet on both computers.

When ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite v7 is installed on both computers, I can access the internet from Computer A, but not from Computer B.

These are the steps I took to set up ZA on both computers:

Disconnect Computer A to Computer B network cable.

Disconnect Computer A to Cable Modem B network cable.

Install ZA on Computer A

Install ZA on Computer B

Connect Computer A to Cable Modem

Network configuration wizard pops up on Computer A.
    Assign this to the Internet Zone and call it Internet connection .
    This actually happened twice at this stage.
    Why twice???

Connect Computer A to Computer A with the cross-over network cable.

Network configuration wizard pops up on Computer A.
    Assign this to the Trusted Zone and call it LAN connection .

Network configuration wizard pops up on Computer B.
    Assign this to the Trusted Zone and call it LAN connection .

Obtain the IP address for Default Gateway = 192.168.0.1.
    This is from the Computer A > Control Panel > Network connections > Right click on LAN network > Status > Support Tab, OR from IPconfig /all on Computer A.

Enter IP address = 192.168.0.1 in Trusted Zone on Computer B and call it Default Gateway .

Obtain the IP address for Computer B = 192.168.0.248.
    This is from the Computer B > Control Panel > Network connections > Right click on LAN network > Status > Support Tab, OR from IPconfig /all on Computer B.

Enter IP address = 192.168.0.248 in Trusted Zone on Computer A and call it Connection to Computer B .

Ping 192.168.0.248 from Computer A is successful.

Ping 192.168.0.1 from Computer B is successful.

Mapping Computer B drive on Computer A, printing from Computer B is successful.

Access internet from Computer A is successful.

Access internet from Computer B is NOT successful.

I have read the User Guide for ZoneAlarm security software version 7.0
    and cannot see where I have gone wrong.

Please help me by providing me with step-by-step instructions.

Thank-you very much.

Regards,

Douglas G A
    Murray

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

zaswing Guest

Default Re: Cannot network 2 computers and connect to internet with both.

Hi Douglas,Having never done the crossover cable it's unlikely I can help. But this smells of internet connection sharing. Can you look up in HELP how to handle ICS.
    Actually help index for ICS takes me nowhere, but "Internet Connection Sharing" does.
    BTW, is there a typo here
    "7.

Connect Computer A to Computer A with the cross-over network cable."In step 6, why are you assigning to the Internet zone? A is connected to cable modem. At this point, I'd think it should be in the trusted zone in ZA. Which looks like you've done in steps 8 and 9. I'm getting somewhat (or very!) lost inspite of your nice list of steps
    Did you also match DNS servers from ipconfig /all into the ZA trusted list?
    Doesn't this "Ping 192.168.0.1 from Computer B is successful." ping the router or that cable modem? Not sure what it is supposed to do.
    I hope GURU person helps you.

douglasmurray Guest

Default Re: Cannot network 2 computers and connect to internet with both.

Thanks for your help.
    <<<BTW, is there a typo here
    "7.

Connect Computer A to Computer A with the cross-over network cable."
    >>>Yes, this is a typo - should read:"7.

Connect Computer A to Computer B with the cross-over network cable."
    <<<In step 6, why are you assigning to the Internet zone? A is connected to cable modem. At this point, I'd think it should be in the trusted zone in ZA. Which looks like you've done in steps 8 and 9. I'm getting somewhat (or very!) lost inspite of your nice list of steps >>>Step 6.
    I thought that you are meant to have connections to the internet set in ZA > Firewall > Zones
    as "Internet Zone" ???
    Steps 8 and 9 pertain to setting the LAN network in Trusted Zone.

<<<Did you also match DNS servers from ipconfig /all into the ZA trusted list?>>>??? I don't think I have DNS server in a simple peer to peer ome network using a workgroup, do I?
    I do not have a domain or a domain server.??? Not sure.
    <<<
    Doesn't this "Ping 192.168.0.1 from Computer B is successful." ping the router or that cable modem? Not sure what it is supposed to do.>>>I do not have a router.

I just have a cross-over cable between the 2 computers and a cable connecting Computer A to the modem.
    I thought that Ping 192.168.0.1 from Computer B was pinging the Default Gateway (Computer A).
    See Step 10.
    Still confused.
    Regards,
    Doug

zaswing Guest

Default Re: Cannot network 2 computers and connect to internet NEED GURU help

Computer A is connected to the cable modem. that's the gateway. If B is connected to A (sharing the connection through A) then I'd think B needs to be told to take whatever it needs from A, and I'd think that would be A's IP address.

Before I get anymore into this trouble (not qualified to do it really), please post ipconfig /all results from both computers here. Don't worry about revealing your 192. x.x.x IP addresses, as they are totally private and meaningless to anyone else. You can delete MAC values, seen in ipconfig as the Physical address entry.

Edited: OK, We may have an answer here
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=32948

and dated but might be valuable
    http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...ms&ctry=US =en

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 11-18-2007 11:37 PM

douglasmurray Guest

I will post ipconfig /all results from both computers later today as I am not at home at the moment.

Thanks!

Doug

zaswing Guest

ok
    I added two links and we may have been typing at the same time, so dont miss them.

douglasmurray Guest

I shall apply the content of the 1st link and report back.
    (The 2nd link doesn t work).

Regards,

Doug

Thread Information