Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High CPU usage causing Smart Fan to run at high RPM constantly

xxmrsoulxx Guest

Default High CPU usage causing Smart Fan to run at high RPM constantly

I have been using ZoneLabs Internet Security Suite (ZL ISS)Version 7.0.337.000 for about a year. One of the things that I liked most was that it was easier on the "resources" than the McAfee program I had used in the past. Now, suddenly, I find my CPU usage at 50% (when computer is idle) and this is causing the CPU cooling fan (SMART Fan) to run constantly at high rpm due to elevated CPU temp. I shut down ZL ISS, immediately the fan slowed, CPU usage dropped to 0-5%, and the processor temperature dropped 6-7 degrees. As noted in other threads, I also noticed the "ScanProcesses" listed under Processes in the Task Manager (which I had not noticed before) gobbling up considerable resources. What is the solution here? Why all of the sudden is this happening? I would surmise that some update to the program has caused this. It is unacceptable to be "working" my computer that hard just sitting idle. If this continues I will have to look elsewhere for a security program.

Any input would be helpful.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: High CPU usage causing Smart Fan to run at high RPM constantly

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>xxMrSoulxx wrote:
    I have been using ZoneLabs Internet Security Suite (ZL ISS)Version 7.0.337.000 for about a year. One of the things that I liked most was that it was easier on the "resources" than the McAfee program I had used in the past. Now, suddenly, I find my CPU usage at 50% (when computer is idle) and this is causing the CPU cooling fan (SMART Fan) to run constantly at high rpm due to elevated CPU temp. I shut down ZL ISS, immediately the fan slowed, CPU usage dropped to 0-5%, and the processor temperature dropped 6-7 degrees. As noted in other threads, I also noticed the "ScanProcesses" listed under Processes in the Task Manager (which I had not noticed before) gobbling up considerable resources. What is the solution here? Why all of the sudden is this happening? I would surmise that some update to the program has caused this. It is unacceptable to be "working" my computer that hard just sitting idle. If this continues I will have to look elsewhere for a security program.

Any input would be helpful.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Update ZASS 7.0.337.000 to the New ZASS 7.0.462.000<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=155 bgColor=#a6a6a6></TD><TD vAlign=top width=1></TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff><DIV style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px"><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=810 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=body width=802><P class=headredbig>ZoneAlarm
    Internet Security Suite Release History<P class=headblack2>The latest ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite release is 7.0.462.000.<P class=body><B class=headblack2>[/B] <P class=headblack2>Release History:<UL><LI><B class=headblack2>7.0 Branch[/B]

7.0.462.000 was released to the public on November 20, 2007. For changes in this version, click here. To download this version, click here.

7.0.408.000 was released to the public on September 12, 2007. For changes in this version, click here. To download this version, click here.

7.0.362.000 was released to the public on July 3, 2007. For changes in this version, click here. To download this version, click here.

7.0.337.000 was released to the public on March 15, 2007. For changes in this version, click here. To download this version, click here.

7.0.302.000 was released to the public on January 15, 2007. For changes in this version, click here.

<LI><B class=headblack2>6.5 Branch[/B]

6.5.737.000 was released to the public on August 31, 2006. To download this version, click here.

6.5.714.000 was released to the public on June 15, 2006. For changes in this version, click here.

6.5.700.000 was released to the public on June 5, 2006. For changes in this version, click here.

<LI><B class=headblack2>6.1 Branch[/B]

6.1.744.001 was released to the public on March 27, 2006. For changes in this version, click here. To download this version, click here.

6.1.744.000 was released to the public on March 1, 2006. For changes in this version, click here.

6.1.737.000 was released to the public on November 22, 2005. For changes in this version, click here. </LI>[/list]<UL class=body><LI><B class=headblack2>6.0 Branch[/B]

6.0.667.000 was released to the public on September 6, 2005. For changes in this version, click here. To download this version, click here.

6.0.631.003 was released to the public on July 27, 2005. For changes in this version, click here.

6.0.631.002 was released to the public on July 21, 2005. For changes in this version, click here.

<LI><B class=headblack2>5.5 Branch[/B]

5.5.094.000 was released to the public on April 26, 2005. For changes in this version, click here. To download this version, click here.

5.5.062.011 was released to the public on February 10, 2005. For changes in this version, click here.

5.5.062.004 was released to the public on December 2, 2004. For changes in this version, click here.

5.5.062.000 was released to the public on November 8, 2004. For changes in this version, click here.

<LI><B class=headblack2>5.1 Branch[/B]

5.1.033.000 was released to the public on September 30, 2004. For changes in this version, click here. To download this version, click here.

5.1.011 was released to the public on July 29, 2004. For changes in this version, click here.

<LI><B class=headblack2>5.0 Branch[/B]

5.0.590.043 was released to the public on June 21, 2004. For changes in this version, click here.

5.0.590.015 was released to the public on May 24, 2004. For changes in this version, click here. </LI>[/list]<P class=headblack2><A id=7.0.462.000 name=7.0.462.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 7.0.462.000<UL class=body><LI>Performance improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Improved system boot time <LI>Included a new anti-spyware engine <LI>Fixed problems with AV on dual-core and hyper-threaded machines. </LI>[/list]<LI>Stability improvements in anti-virus: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed occasional hangs in advanced dialog window <LI>Fixed occasional hangs during scan <LI>Fixed occasional hangs in after repair of archive (or similar) on CD. </LI>[/list]<LI>Additional Stability improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed occasional crashes in vsmon <LI>Fixed occasional hangs during shutdown <LI>Fixed occasional hangs in UpdClient. <LI>Fixed various install and upgrade issues <LI>Fixed window activation issue associated with automatic updates <LI>Compatibility: Fixed compatibility issue with Intuit Software </LI>[/list]<LI>Anti-virus improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed anti-virus signature versions not showing, <LI>Don't reschedule AV updates after initial update completes </LI>[/list]<LI>Anti-spyware improvements: <UL class=body><LI>New anti-spyware engine <LI>Fixed issue where AS updates reported the client up to date when the client had no internet access </LI>[/list]<LI>Ease-of-use improvements: <UL class=body><LI>New: Added Automatic Network Configuration to Wizard (will automatically add Domain Controller, DNS, DHCP, Network Printers and, mapped network drives to trusted zone) <LI>Changed update frequency default to every 3 hours </LI>[/list]<LI>Customization improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Made AV/AS update frequency configurable <LI>Added Global Reset-to-Default feature (invoked via Ctrl+Shift+right click on ZA icon in system tray). <LI>Various other fixes and improvements </LI>[/list]</LI>[/list]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>at this Download Address..http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

sluse Guest

Default Re: Vsmon & ScanProcess dominate i/o

I'm having a similar problem with different symptoms My system slowed to a crawl: it took minutes to load small executables. Task manager showed only 1-6% CPU usage, but also showed that vsmon and two ScanProcesses were performing a tremendous number of i/o reads/writes, on the order of gigabytes (only minutes after a reboot). These processes appear to dominate the disk i/o and do not relinquish in any way.

I attempted to alleviate the problem by performing a clean (un)install with directions found elsewhere on this forum (uninstall with /clean /rmlicense, removing &quot;Internet Logs&quot; directory and two &quot;ZoneLabs&quot; directories). Prior to the uninstall, I saved all of my settings for later import. I then reinstalled with the latest version of ZoneAlarm and imported my old settings. Things worked great for the first hour or two, but the problem is again back.

At this point, I&quot;m wondering if something in my old settings is causing this, and I'd appreciate any input from any guru's on how test/proceed. I've been using ZoneAlarm for over 2 years and may have to give it up if I can't resolve this. The system is unusable as is.

Hi!
    you actually made a lot of efforts in cleaning well the system but then you should have tested it without importing the old settings...

I am not saying that the old settings may be the cause but this way you really don't know if they could have been.

Cheers,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

sluse Guest

You're right fax: I did not test before reloading my settings; I did not suspect my settings as being the problem at that time, and had hoped that the reinstall would have corrected the problem.

My current plan is the following:
    (1) Clear the ZA databases, then test. If this doesn't solve the problem, I will then (2) re-perform the clean (un)install WITHOUT reimporting my stored settings, and then test. Hopefully the first will take care of it, and if not, then the second should.

Hi!yes, it should. Unless there is a real conflict between ZA and some software on your PC.You can always follow-up with ZA technical support if things are not going well (www.zonelabs.com/tsform)Cheers,Fax

sluse Guest

Ok: I reset the DBs, but that did not help. So I did another clean (un)install, this time without importing my previously saved settings. Vsmon and the two ScanProcesses are now performing as they should with reasonable i/o rates; the system is back to a functioning and usable state.

It appears that something in my personal ZoneAlarm settings has been causing vmon and the ScanProcesses to run amok. I'd be happy to forward my exported settings to someone at ZoneAlarm if they are interested in possibly analyzing the cause.

Thanks for the support Fax. I've now learned more about keeping my system safe and tuned.

You're welcome!

I guess it will be difficult to have an analyst to look at your configuration file. It may take a long time and finally it could even be something only reproducible locally (in your machine).

Cheers,
    Fax

thirtyninewinks Guest

It's reproducible on my machine. I have been having trouble locating the problem with my computer for months. I even re-installed the operating system. That made the problem go away for a while, but it's back. It was hard to see for a while, because I didn't have the &quot;Disk Read Bytes&quot; column visible in task manager. Once I turned that on, it was pretty clear. Vsmon can chew through 20 GB in an hour. I only have 32 GB stored on the disk. It isn't even (reportedly) doing any scan. I have turned off on-access scanning. I have turned off any checking of email.

This is worse than any virus that it has blocked from my computer. It is making my computer almost useless.

Where's the option, &quot;make my computer a useless blob&quot;, so I can un-check the box?

Hi!if it was working before and now not... then something has happen meanwhileIs it due to ZA or something else related to ZA? I don't know... When you ask for support... you better open your own thread since your issue is different from the OP original post and please also try to detail as much as possible the issue including the ZA version you use... First try to reset the ZA settings and do not restore any previous one....This way:1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after rebootHow does it work? Still problems?if this fails and you still have problems then try to remove completely ZA following this procedure:http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...n_install.htmlInstall latest version, see here:http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...structZAP.htmlIf you followed all these steps above and you still have problems than try to boot your PC only with ZA and standard MS software/services to exclude conlficts with other applications. This way:1.) Click Start -&gt; Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor, and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computerHow does it work?
    NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.
    If you still have problems please contact ZA technical support and report about it: www.zonelabs.com/tsformCheers,Fax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information