Thread: ZAfree vs Outlook - high residual CPU usage 20%

rjfrederick Guest

Default ZAfree vs Outlook - high residual CPU usage 20%

I am running ZAfree 7.0.408 on Windows 2000 with GrisoftAVGfree 7.5.503 and with Outlook 2002 SP3.

When I open Outlook, residual CPU usage rises from 2% to 20% and remains at the higher figure.

I have tried turning off MailSafe in ZA, installing the ZA registry patch "mf_off.reg" to disable anti-spam filtering in ZA, and removing and re-installing both ZA and AVG. I can't eliminate the unacceptably high CPU usage when Outlook is running (ie, due to the ZA components vsmon.exe and zlclient.exe using so much CPU%).

I infer from the following FAQ posting:

"5) ZA (vsmon) is using all my resources! First make sure that you do not have MailSafe enabled and also have your antivirus scanning email attachments. They may be conflicting. Some other causes will be resolved in the next release of the product. Message Edited by Forum-Moderator on 02-07-2003 08:36 AM "

that:
    - there are residual resource issues in ZA with vsmon.exe
    - these issues are supposed to be resolved in a future issue of ZA (free?)
    - the latest and current issue of ZAfree is stuck at version 7.0.408 (although the current version in non-free ZA products is 7.0.462)

Does this mean ZAfree is no longer offered in a problem-free version?

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

rjfrederick Guest

Default Re: ZAfree vs Outlook - high residual CPU usage 20%

Update - Normal Operation Returns - CPU usage 1% with ZAfree AND Outlook

What a pleasant surpise this morning after booting up my PC! After implementing the fixes yesterday as reported in my original post on 24-Nov-07 (which were themselves followed by numerous reboots), I find today that Outlook and ZoneAlarmfree are happily co-existing with a residual CPU usage of only 2-3%! I can't attribute this improvement to anything further I have done, but hopefully the situation will continue.

Default Re: ZAfree vs Outlook - high residual CPU usage 20%

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>RJFrederick wrote:
    Update - Normal Operation Returns - CPU usage 1% with ZAfree AND Outlook

What a pleasant surpise this morning after booting up my PC! After implementing the fixes yesterday as reported in my original post on 24-Nov-07 (which were themselves followed by numerous reboots), I find today that Outlook and ZoneAlarmfree are happily co-existing with a residual CPU usage of only 2-3%! I can't attribute this improvement to anything further I have done, but hopefully the situation will continue.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> to the Zone Alarm User Forum..Thank you for your Feedback..
    ---------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:930591577
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.187.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200711.2895
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV