Thread: Vista ZA BSOD

acrus Guest

Default Vista ZA BSOD

Hey guys,
    I downloaded ZoneAlarm FREE from downloads.com and I've been getting BSODs ever since.
    I'm running on safemode right now and I looked to uninstall it but it's not on the program list for uninstalls.
    Does anyone know how I can locate the problem?
    The problem has to do with the
    fwpkclnt.sys file.
    Do I need to go into the registry to fix the issue?
    Delete that file?
    any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Default Re: Vista ZA BSOD

Hi!remove all files/foders and registry entry detailed here (in SAFE MODE):http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=103Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

prof_fate Guest

<blockquote><hr>acrus wrote:
    Hey guys,
    I downloaded ZoneAlarm FREE from downloads.com and I've been getting BSODs ever since.
    I'm running on safemode right now and I looked to uninstall it but it's not on the program list for uninstalls.
    Does anyone know how I can locate the problem?
    The problem has to do with the
    fwpkclnt.sys file.
    Do I need to go into the registry to fix the issue?
    Delete that file?
    any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    <hr></blockquote>I had no problems installing or running ZAFree for Vista on my Vista Ultimate Computerr..The Main diference was That..
    1.) I downloaded ZAFree for Vista From http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...US&amp;lang=en
    2.) I uninstalled any third party Security Programs fron Norton and McAfee.. They can be Reinstalled after ZAFree for Vista in installed and running normally..
    3.) here is the web-link to ZA BSOD Help..
    http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...bsodcrash.html

johnjakob Guest

I did all this and tried to contact Zone Labs, but since I downloaded the free version they will not provide me with any support. It **bleep**s that I wanted to use better software on Vista than the built in firewall and now I have created a machine that is incredibly unstable.
    I don't know what to do at this point, as nothing mentioned here or anywhere else on the internet has resolved the problem.
    Please help!!!
    ***UPDATE***
    When it BSOD's on me it references the fwpkclnt.sys file. Zone Alarm never installed, so I cannot uninstall it from the Windows Program removal application. What can be done at this point? I even tried replacing the file (fwpkclnt.sys) with one from my girlfriend's laptop (same model, same version of Vista, etc.), but Windows will not let me rename, replace, etc. this file.

Message Edited by johnjakob on 10-24-2007 03:21 AM

prof_fate Guest

<blockquote><hr>johnjakob wrote:
    I did all this and tried to contact Zone Labs, but since I downloaded the free version they will not provide me with any support. It **bleep**s that I wanted to use better software on Vista than the built in firewall and now I have created a machine that is incredibly unstable.
    I don't know what to do at this point, as nothing mentioned here or anywhere else on the internet has resolved the problem.
    Please help!!!
    ***UPDATE***
    When it BSOD's on me it references the fwpkclnt.sys file. Zone Alarm never installed, so I cannot uninstall it from the Windows Program removal application. What can be done at this point? I even tried replacing the file (fwpkclnt.sys) with one from my girlfriend's laptop (same model, same version of Vista, etc.), but Windows will not let me rename, replace, etc. this file.

Message Edited by johnjakob on 10-24-2007 03:21 AM
    <hr></blockquote>I Sorry tyou having problems..
    Have you tried Windows System Restore option, that will let you Boot up Windows to a Point before you installed ZAFree for Vista..
    Of course you may be SOL, if you did not create a Restore point,At this point Restoring from an Image Backup would be the simple way to Fix the BSOD problem..
    If you don't have that option available..I would recoment the Suggestion above by Guru Fax.. to remove ZAFree for Vista
    If that fails, then your last option if you have the Option on Bootup to Click F10 or F11 to Restore the Computer to Factory Install ConditionHP, Compaq and Dell computers have this feature..
    Good Luck..

johnjakob Guest

Unfortunately, I only had one restore point. I don't know why my system restore is only saing one or two restore points (and only from a few days back). This is a Dell laptop (Inspiron E1705) and I upgraded it from XP Media Center to Vista Home Premium when Vista was released. I think this was my first mistake...shoot!!!
    I do have an image backup too. It was created with DriveImage XML, but when I try to do a restore with this utility it will not let me restore it. It says &quot;Target partition must not be the system drive&quot;. I don't know how this utility is useful if I can't do a restore to my primary drive. I do understand the technical reasons for it, but I don't know how to get aroudn this issue. And, I do not expect that anyone knows how to help me with this particular issue, as this is not the forum for such an issue.
    I have tried all of the options for resolution (including the one from Guru Fax) and none of them has been successful. I just can't believe that my perfectly &quot;good&quot; laptop has been completely botched by Zone Alarm. I am pretty **bleep**ed at Zone Labs...to say the very least. It was recommended by Maximum PC (my favorite PC magazine) and I am pretty **bleep**ed at them as well...that they recommended Zone Alarm and did not warn me about this potential issue with Vista.
    I definitely don't want to restore my laptop to factory install condition, as I imagine it will take me back to XP Media Center edition...and this is my business laptop, so it would take me a very long time to get everything reinstalled. I do web design, graphic design, computer networking, computer repair, etc. &amp; I have Adobe Photoshop, Swish Max, Illustrator, and about 100+ other applications that will be hard to install, setup, reconfigure, etc.
    Anyway, thanks so much for your suggestions. I truly appreciate your time.
    Does anyone have any other recommendations about how to resolve this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am at a total loss as to what I can do at this point.
    Regards,Jake

prof_fate Guest

Thank you for your feedback..I'm sorry things have not worked out for you yet..
    For future Reference.. I have had Great success Restoring Image Backups including Boot Sectors on XP and Vista using Acronis True Image Backup

nickw Guest

Hi Jake
    Sorry to hear about your woes
    I've had a similar experience with ZA Security Suite and Vista Ultimate on an Inspiron 640m,
    described below in an email to ZA tech support from their Instant Support.

I've now deinstalled the offending software apparently without
    lasting after effects (touch wood).

&quot;Attempting to install (with an Admin account) caused my laptop to run excruciatingly slowly (with virtually constant HDD access) so in the end I resorted to installing using the same account in Safe Mode, when it installed quickly and apparently successfully.
    But on rebooting into normal mode, the system consistently crashes (just before the desktop icons would start to appear) with a blue screen which stays for a couple of seconds giving me only enough time to note mention of FWPKCLNT.[sys?] involved.
    I thought it might be a contention between ZA's and Windows firewalls being on simultaneously, but on checking (via Safe Mode) I'd turned Windows firewall off already.
    Finally had to uninstall ZA since when I can boot up as normal.
    A quick Google of the above filename returned hits from your own users' forum regarding ZA Free BSODs &amp; FWPKCLNT.SYS, all seemingly unresolved, but I feel you should resolve this issue, not only for the sake of your own reputation but because my version was paid for.
    RSVP {my email address}&quot;
    As you can see I'm hoping that an instance of this issue on a non-free version will give their support some added impetus for a fix/workaround.
    Will post again as/when.

johnjakob Guest

Well, it looks like I may have resolved the issue. Yesterday I turned off the User Account Control on Vista, disabled the Firewall service, and I disabled the Defender service as well.
    I downloaded the Vista compatible version of Zone Alarm and saved it to my desktop. Then I booted into Safe Mode and ran the Zone Alarm installer. It completed the installation, but crashed again while it was configuring the firewall service. Even though it crashed, I was able to boot Vista normally and then run the Zone Alarm uninstaller (which was successful). When I rebooted once again into Vista (normally), Zone Alam
    had been successfully uninstalled and I have been running my laptop without a single BSOD since then.
    I am just hoping that this has resolved the issue and that I don't experience any more blue screens. I will post an update soon to let everyone know if these steps were successful in resolving the issue once and for all.
    Thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate it very much.
    ** As an FYI for everyone, while I was on Dell's tech support Chat service yesterday (I also let them take control of my system with their Dell Connect tool so they could try to resolve it), they were unable to resolve the issue and the only recommendation their tech support person could give me was to suggest that I perform a clean install of Windows Vista. This would have been a nightmare for me, since I have about 100+ applications which also would have had to be reinstalled as well. I'm sure I would have been down for about 2 days while I tried to get it back to where it was (with apps, email, tools, drives, etc.). I thought this was ridiculous...I coudl have figured this out for myself...not the best tech support I've ever received. **
    Thanks again to everyone!!!

skyking Guest

Folks,

OK, I finally got this figured out. Here is the correct analysis and solution, involving the key words: Vista BSOD &quot;Blue Screen Of Death&quot; AVG &quot;fwpkclnt.sys&quot; and the culprit is - Windows Vista and Zone Alarm not playing well together. The issue is this: fwpkclnt.sys is &quot;Windows Firewall Platform kernel-mode client&quot; (http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com...pkclntsys.html).

The fix is to reboot into Safe Mode, go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, and disable &quot;Windows Firewall&quot;. Once that is done the problem will be solved. I have booted numerous times, downloaded a number of updates, run registry cleaners/checkers, and defragged. All is good now.

Best of luck to all that Google the solution to the key words Vista BSOD &quot;Blue Screen Of Death&quot; AVG &quot;fwpkclnt.sys&quot;. Checkpoint needs to put more effort into testing their Zone Alarm product (which I have used for years) and posting of answers to questions like this, and less into marketing of their various products.

Regards,

Phillip Beall

Thread Information