Thread: ZoneAlarm and speedtest.net

amethyst Guest

Cool ZoneAlarm and speedtest.net

Does anyone else use the speedtest.net site to check their broadband download and upload speed?

I used to use this site and the numbers were about as I expected. I hadn't used this site for a few months until recently, and this has been since I've had ZoneAlarm. Now my download and upload numbers are really, really weird. I mean, whereas my normal and expected download numbers would be anywhere between 200 and high 400's kpbs and upload 80 to 100 kbps, now my download shows up as somewhere between 10 and 20 kbps (lower than when I was on dial-up)and the upload (and this is the REALLY surprising part) in the 90's to 100's kbps. Other speedtest sites used within minutes of trying this one show the numbers as I would expect, 200 to high 400's kbps down and 80 to 100 kbps up. One of those sites, testmy.net, actually says that ZoneAlarm may cause issues with the upload readings, but I didn't find that to be the case for me.

Other people on my ISP use the speedtest.net site and their numbers are quite as expected, it's just mine that are weird. Would ZoneAlarm be doing this, do you think? I'm not getting any alerts showing up. The software is the only thing that has changed in this equation, I have the same router as I always have.

Amethyst

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:6.5
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ZoneAlarm and speedtest.net

I have ZASS 7.0.462.000 installed and just tried "Speedtest.net" with ZASS running..Download 6753 kb/sUpload489kb/s
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

amethyst Guest

Thanks George!

Well, I'm baffled. I don't see why my version of the firewall would be so different from yours that it would affect this test this way.

I went to my router's user forum to see if someone there will give that website a go, although I've had this router all along. The only thing that has changed since I used this test a few months ago is my security software.

Next move would be attaching the modem directly to the pc and trying that (a bit of a nuisance, have to reboot everything a couple of times) and then next asking my ISP what might be going on.

There's no way the results I am getting at the speedtest.net website are correct or I would barely be able to even load a web page. The speeds they are showing me are slower--MUCH slower--than I was getting when I had dial-up.

Thanks again for giving that a try, George. :-)

Amethyst

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>amethyst wrote:
    Thanks George!

Well, I'm baffled. I don't see why my version of the firewall would be so different from yours that it would affect this test this way.

I went to my router's user forum to see if someone there will give that website a go, although I've had this router all along. The only thing that has changed since I used this test a few months ago is my security software.

Next move would be attaching the modem directly to the pc and trying that (a bit of a nuisance, have to reboot everything a couple of times) and then next asking my ISP what might be going on.

There's no way the results I am getting at the speedtest.net website are correct or I would barely be able to even load a web page. The speeds they are showing me are slower--MUCH slower--than I was getting when I had dial-up.

Amethyst
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks for your Feedback..There are Lots of variable involved in the Results you may get.. I like Speedtest.net as it gives you the option to test your Speed thru dozens of different Sties..and depending on the Time of day an Location tour results my vary by over 100%.. I have found the speed result to the East coast are slower that to the west cost.. Los Angelas is usually a good site..As far as drastic changes from you ISP over the last few months?Maybe 1.) there are a significant more users using the same bandwidth in your area of town? Depending on the time of day..Or more likely, the ISP may be throttling back the Bandwidth in your area? or possible ISP equipment failure or inadequate for the load placed on them?Who knows.. it could be a combination of all of theses factors..I'm here in Central Texas on TimeWarner Broadband..They allow Hi-Speed download speeds but throttle back the Upload capability severely..
    ---------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:930787412
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.187.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200711.2905
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV

Using Rogers Cable (.ca) el cheapo home internet service (cable), motorola surfboard, one alphashield hardware firewall, two routers (each one is doing NAT), protowall (extra driver), nod32 AV webscanner, software firewall, privoxy, webwasher classic all before the browser. Results from speedtest.net are download 955 kb/sec and upload 117 kb/sec (rogers frown upon file sharing and they do throttle bandwidth).

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic...raffic_Shaping

Other factors are how many PC's are actively using the modem/router as the test is performed or in my case how many users are online in the apartment building. I suppose if the QoS is disabled and the Printer file sharing is unchecked and the remote assistance is off and a few others, the speed may improve on the PC.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 11-28-2007 07:17 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thanks George!

Amethyst
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Here is This Mornings Speedtest.net results..http://www.speedtest.net/result/206724935.png
    GeorgeV

Tried resetting the TCP/IP in Windows and see if the speed improves?
    Check the winsock .dll and make sure there are no left over from other installs. Often other applications skip the window's winsock and insert their own designed winsock.
    Got any site blockers or web content blockers or web scanners active during the test?These could effect the outcome.
    Also check the LSP stack for possible remanent .dll causing interferences or even from possible troyans.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

amethyst Guest

Hi George, Oldsod,

Yes, I know my download and upload numbers are super-low compared to yours (especially you, George!). I am on a 512 kbps down/128kbps up with a satellite ISP. My results are roughly between 23% and 87% of that, depending on the time of day. (Yes, many complaints being logged to my ISP and about my ISP by many of its customers over that because that is about what their customers seem to be getting consistently...but that's another story, and on a couple of other forums!) I have tested it at 2 other sites and my numbers are what I would expect for the internet service I do have. It was just at the speedtest.net site that the test results I got were so strange, and completely different from the results of the other 2 sites, both of which are reputable. This is why I wondered if Zonealarm might be affecting the results I was getting at speedtest.net. However, it doesn't look like that is the case. Thanks for the input. :-)

Thanks!

Amethyst

Hi George, Oldsod,

Yes, I know my download and upload numbers are super-low compared to yours (especially you, George!). I am on a 512 kbps down/128kbps up with a satellite ISP. My results are roughly between 23% and 87% of that, depending on the time of day. (Yes, many complaints being logged to my ISP and about my ISP by many of its customers over that because that is about what their customers seem to be getting consistently...but that's another story, and on a couple of other forums!) I have tested it at 2 other sites and my numbers are what I would expect for the internet service I do have. It was just at the speedtest.net site that the test results I got were so strange, and completely different from the results of the other 2 sites, both of which are reputable. This is why I wondered if Zonealarm might be affecting the results I was getting at speedtest.net. However, it doesn't look like that is the case. Thanks for the input. :-)

Thanks!

Amethyst
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for your feedback.. Here is this Mornings Test Results..http://www.speedtest.net/result/207092586.pngHowever, before I had access to Cable Broadband Internet access IOnly had access to several different Dialup ISP.'s.The First ISP I ever used I got similar Speeds to whatyou do satellite satellite..I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to go visit that ISP and checkout his Setup.. He operated the entire ISP out of his 2 bedroom apartment, He paid the Phone company for a T-1 connection to the internet, and had 50 Free single incoming Land-lines into his second bedroomall incoming Only Lines (No out-going calls possible on those 50 lines) all sharing one Phone number, with an Auto Relay switch that transferred any call to that phone number to any of the available lines that were not busy..That Bedroom was a Mass of spaghetti Phone lines with External modems all stacked up against the wall and all over the Floor..
    So you never know just how reliable your Connection may be if the ISP is not one of the Big 4 or 5 National ISP's..I think I was using ZoneAlarm Free Basic firewall version 1.8 or 2.0 way back then..
    GeorgeV

Thread Information