Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does ZAAS have RealTime antispyware detection?

wordward Guest

Default Does ZAAS have RealTime antispyware detection?

I read a review from zdnets and they said they tested ZAAS and it's active shields blocked almost all the spyware samples they used. I thought ZAAS only offered On Demand Spyware Detection. So does ZAAS have RealTime active shields?

Default Re: Does ZAAS have RealTime antispyware detection?

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>wordward wrote:
    I read a review from zdnets and they said they tested ZAAS and it's active shields blocked almost all the spyware samples they used. I thought ZAAS only offered On Demand Spyware Detection. So does ZAAS have RealTime active shields?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <P class=headblack2><A id=7.0.462.000 name=7.0.462.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 7.0.462.000<UL class=body><LI>Performance improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Improved system boot time <LI>Included a new anti-spyware engine <LI>Fixed problems with AV on dual-core and hyper-threaded machines. </LI>[/list]<LI>Stability improvements in anti-virus: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed occasional hangs in advanced dialog window <LI>Fixed occasional hangs during scan <LI>Fixed occasional hangs in after repair of archive (or similar) on CD. </LI>[/list]<LI>Additional Stability improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed occasional crashes in vsmon <LI>Fixed occasional hangs during shutdown <LI>Fixed occasional hangs in UpdClient. <LI>Fixed various install and upgrade issues <LI>Fixed window activation issue associated with automatic updates <LI>Compatibility: Fixed compatibility issue with Intuit Software </LI>[/list]<LI>Anti-virus improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed anti-virus signature versions not showing, <LI>Don't reschedule AV updates after initial update completes </LI>[/list]<LI>Anti-spyware improvements: <UL class=body><LI>New anti-spyware engine <LI>Fixed issue where AS updates reported the client up to date when the client had no internet access </LI>[/list]<LI>Ease-of-use improvements: <UL class=body><LI>New: Added Automatic Network Configuration to Wizard (will automatically add Domain Controller, DNS, DHCP, Network Printers and, mapped network drives to trusted zone) <LI>Changed update frequency default to every 3 hours </LI>[/list]<LI>Customization improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Made AV/AS update frequency configurable <LI>Added Global Reset-to-Default feature (invoked via Ctrl+Shift+right click on ZA icon in system tray). <LI>Various other fixes and improvements </LI>[/list]</LI><LI>http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html</LI><LI></LI>[/list]
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

wordward Guest

Hello GeorgeV. Is this a yes? LOL. I did read on the ZA website that ZAAS's OS Firewall blocks attempts made by spyware and other malware (keyloggers, rootkits, ect...) to infiltrate your PC. However I couldn't find this in the current ZAAS updated program release history, or in the Internet Security Suite updated program release history you posted.

Message Edited by wordward on 11-25-2007 02:40 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>wordward wrote:
    Hello GeorgeV. Is this a yes? LOL. I did read on the ZA website that ZAAS's OS Firewall blocks attempts made by spyware and other malware (keyloggers, rootkits, ect...) to infiltrate your PC. However I couldn't find this in the current ZAAS updated program release history, or in the Internet Security Suite updated program release history you posted.

Message Edited by wordward on 11-25-2007 02:40 PM
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Right Click on the ZA Tray icon and Click help.. That will bring up the ZA Manual.. There might be something in there..Or you could pose your Question to ZA Tech Support.. www.zonealarm.com/tsformLet me know what you find out?---------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:930591577
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.187.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200711.2895
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

wordward Guest

Here is the great recent review by ZDNET on Zone Alarm Anti-spyware. Down at the bottom under Performance is where it mentions the &quot;active shields&quot; that blocked the spyware installed by the reviewer. I guess you have to Copy and then Paste it in your browser to take you to it.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/reviews/soft...9274487,00.htm

Message Edited by wordward on 11-25-2007 04:59 PM

Message Edited by wordward on 11-25-2007 05:02 PM

Hi wordward

The article at zdnet.com.au is misleading. It stresses the antispy scanner and not the ZA firewall. It is the firewall of the ZA that provides the "shields" not the scanner. Of course there is the spy site blocking, but that is still more or less a function of the firewall (it is the firewall blocking the sites, not the scanner).

The spy scanner is developed by ZA and so are the definitions. It concentratesd more on spyware that attempts to infect the PC and attempt outbound access. It will miss various toolbars or browser helpers (for the Internet Explorer), CWS and various adware, and certain esoteric spyware such as spysheriff or smitfraud. But it does find and remove various troyans and malware. Possiblely not the greatest scanner, but far from the worst.

The main consideration is the Triple Defense Firewall of the ZA. It can be best described as the Inbound firewall and the Outbound firewall and the Windows firewall. Three firewalls as defined by ZA.
    OK Inbound and Outbound is self evident- outbound is control applications for the port/protocol and actual outbound access per the zones.
    Naturally if malware attempts to phone home or call some server and reveal personal information or get more malware installed, the Outbound firewall is doing the job to stop these actions. Even if some malicious dll or file attempts to gain access of a normally approved application, the ZA will see the application violation happening and will stop this immediately.
    The Inbound firewall - control ports and allows in and provides true stealth at the same time keeping ports closed. ZA uses a true stately packet firewall, so internet connections are well taken care of.

The Windows firewall can be seen in the ZA in the OS firewall tab and in the Program Control. In the OS firewall can be easily seen the controls for start up programs and activeX installs and changes to the host file and so forth. These are considered to be "shields" and many antispy scanners with full time guards have this feature.
    But the Windows firewall goes even further than the OS firewall tab. The new applications (not in the ZA normal listing), new installs, certain changes to the services, certain changes to the registry, application interaction (.dll or .exe using other applications) are recognized by the Windows Firewall and can be blocked. Also unapproved .dll can be stopped from continuing. This makes a form of HIPS or antispy/antimalware protection or shield and in many ways it is a very easy to use HIPS.

In many ways, the strength of the ZA AS firewall/spyware scanner is not the detection and removal of spyware, but prevention and deterence of infections. An example would be keyloggers- it will do a lousy job to detect pre-installed keyloggers if the ZA AS is installed fresh on an infected machine. But install the ZA AS on a clean machine and almost every later attempts to install the keyloggers can be prevented or stopped. So many users will post in the forum asking why the ZA alerts them that a browser or media player or certain applications is attempting to "monitor the keyboard or mouse" or hooking into the keyboard or mouse and they do not understand why or what is happening. Well the answer is simple- the ZA was alerting about a keylogger attempt. In these cases such as browsers it is all very innocent, but a malicious keylogger would do the very same. The ZA is watching and preventing.

Does this help?

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 11-25-2007 10:26 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

wordward Guest

As you always seem to do Oldsod, this has indeed helped. This was a compliment to you as you have helped me in the past when I couldn't decide if ZA free was for me, and it's good to hear from you. I will add that this was the most precise explanation of how the ZA Triple Defense Firewall works and protects, and has made me feel even better about installing it. Thank you, but stay tuned as I will undoubtedly have a few more questions over the next couple of days. LOL. Thanks again old friend, and I hope all is well with you. I also hope to hear from SlyFox again and wonder if Greb49 or is it Greb49er is still here?

Thank you, woodward!
    Greb49er does drop by from time time.
    Please about ask any of your questions.

Best regards, Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

wordward Guest

Hey Oldsod. Two quick questions. I use Avast Home as my AV and it runs fine with ZAAS, but I was thinking of also using ThreatFire which is a Behavior Blocker with it. I did have TF installed before and it ran well with ZAAS and Avast, but I uninstalled it thinking I may not need it. Now finally for my two quick questions. LOL. Do you think I need TF with ZAAS since it does have some form of HIPS? And. What version of ZA do you use and what else do you use with it? Okay, I know that was was actuall three questions, but they were all quick. LOL. Take care.

Hi woodward

I suppose you could use ThreatFire. If the applications play nice together on the PC and you like it, then why not. There is some overlap, but then one does cover areas that the other one misses.

I am using the latest ZA AS. But what I use together with it covers my needs. It is difficult for me to say what any user should use with the regular AV and FW. There are certain factors that come into play. Such as:

experience and knowledge of the user

number of users or sharing users on the PC

gateway and hardware firewall before the PC, even the type of connection.

number of PCs on the LAN

use of software and applications; home use or business use, ie video or audio work or animating, and browsers themselves (IE or Firefox) or add on to the browsers, and mail clients (outlook or other). and type of media players (WMP or winamp or quicktime or others, even the hardware players) and so forth.

risk assessment; P2P or file sharing, and VPN, and risky mail, and risky browsing/risky internet, laptops going to unsecured LANs, desktops which are physically unsecured, server on the desktop, and so forth.

final goal of the security setup as deemed by the user; a safe machine, a useable machine, a fast machine, a normal security setup or reasonable security, extreme security and such.

It all depends. Some users need to have twelve scanners with a lot of other security and still feel they need even more, while some users just get by with an AV and a router.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 11-26-2007 10:19 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information