Thread: ZA pro 7.0.462 - Update attempt displays message "A serious Error has occured"

peeg_man Guest

Default ZA pro 7.0.462 - Update attempt displays message "A serious Error has occured"

Any attempt to update ZA 7.0.462 (either manual or automatic) and I get a message titled "Update Progress", text - "A Serious error has occurred. Please restart your computer. Before restarting be sure to save your work and close any open programs."

This has only started since the last installation of 7.462. Also changing setting to Manual for updates, doesn't stop ZA from periodically checking for updates from the internet. ZA still seems to be functioning as a firewall correctly however.

XP Home Sp 2 - fully patched.
    ZA pro 7.462
    Steganous anti-virus
    Spy bot Search and Destroy, PC Doctor - neither on all the time though.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

findley Guest

Default Re: ZA pro 7.0.462 - Update attempt displays message "A serious Error has occured"

<blockquote><hr>Peeg_Man wrote:
    Any attempt to update ZA 7.0.462 (either manual or automatic) and I get a message titled &quot;Update Progress&quot;, text - &quot;A Serious error has occurred. Please restart your computer. Before restarting be sure to save your work and close any open programs.&quot;

This has only started since the last installation of 7.462. Also changing setting to Manual for updates, doesn't stop ZA from periodically checking for updates from the internet. ZA still seems to be functioning as a firewall correctly however.

XP Home Sp 2 - fully patched.
    ZA pro 7.462
    Steganous anti-virus
    Spy bot Search and Destroy, PC Doctor - neither on all the time though.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro

<hr></blockquote>Welcome to the forum!
    Since this has only started since you installed 7.0.462.000 you may have a corrupted database or an incomplete download.
    To fix a corrupted database do this:
    Be aware, you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode.2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.4. Empty the recycle bin5. Reboot into the normal mode.
    For an incomplete download you will need to uninstall and reinstall.See this thread http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...hread.id=73859
    Regards,Findley

roseybear Guest

Default Re: ZA pro 7.0.462 - Update attempt displays message "A serious Error has occured"

how did you fix this?This is also happening to my computer and I tried to uninstall and it won't let me.
    Says close all Vector usages.
    I am going nuts.I would like to have this stopped.
    Could you tell me how you fixed this problem?

findley Guest

<blockquote><hr>roseybear wrote:
    how did you fix this?This is also happening to my computer and I tried to uninstall and it won't let me.
    Says close all Vector usages.
    I am going nuts.I would like to have this stopped.
    Could you tell me how you fixed this problem?
    <hr></blockquote>Welcome to the forum.
    Please start a new thread dedicated to your issue.
    In order to get help from someone here more information is needed.In that new post provide details:
    what is your operating system?
    If XP? is it SP2? (required for latest 7.0462.000 versions)What product and version are you using?Other AV software? what?Other AS spyware? what?Ever had Norton or McAfee firewall installed on this computer?
    If yes, was it removed with Norton Removal tool or McAfee removal tool?What error(s) are you getting?

Post back
    error message(s)
    Regards,Findley

peeg_man Guest

Thanks - I did a complete uninstall, (edit the registry etc) then re-installed a new download of 7.0.462 and the problem is fixed. Thanks again.

Interesting point though - the method is supposed to be a complete uninstall, but when I re-installed the software I didn't have to enter my license code again - it was already there, so somewhere there was still some zonealarm 'code' sitting on my machine.

However the problem I had was fixed, that's most important to me.

findley Guest

You are very welcome!
    thanks for the feedback and glad to hear your problem is fixed.
    On the
    issue of the license key in order to remove it during uninstall
    you add
    / rmlicense switch
    Regards,Findley

Thread Information