Thread: Recently update my ZA Pro with the latest update version...

gareme Guest

Default Recently update my ZA Pro with the latest update version...

Recently update my ZA Pro with the latest update version that downloaded as zapSetup 70_462_000_en and found that
    gif files on the internet would no longer display as gif files but were just static pictures. This happened on both my desktop and my laptop after upgrading to the newer version. Checked
    just about every setting I could think of but nothing helped. I then disabled
    ZA (something I was very reluctant to do) but this did not help either.

I have since uninstalled za and then reinstalled the previous version, that I had luckly
    burnt to
    CD, and gif files on the internet again display as animated files.

I thought that I would contact Check Point and inform them of this issue only to discover that they apparantly don't want to hear for their customers unless you pay them for the privlige of ringing them on the phone.

watcher Guest

Default Re: Recently update my ZA Pro with the latest update version...

Dear gareme:

I have a previous version of ZAPRO, v.7.0.337.000, and animated gifs work fine. These files, though, have no custom icon and a check of Folder Options, File Types tab, shows there is no file association for it. Still, it opens and runs using the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. Just right click the .gif file and click Preview. If you click Edit on the same context menu, the file opens, but does not run, with Paint. Your web browser can be configured to display these types of files also.

Please see if you can configure your browser to open this type of file using its configuration dialog box. Or, create a file association using Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

gareme Guest

Animation gif files worked fine on both the laptop and the desk top, but they were not displaying on either IE or Firefox as animated files and when downloaded would not display as animated files even though they registed as gif files. I know that gif files won't open as animations with Paint but they are set to open using Viewfinder by default. My daughter informs me that the upgrade also prevented her viewing videos on youtube.I went through both the IE and ZA settings and disabled everything I think of that could be blocking the animations including all add and popup blocking and still couldn't get them to work.
    I am quiet happy with my ZA but am just a little peeved about being unable notify Check Point about the problem.

watcher Guest

Dear gareme:

Even if you cannot create a file association for the .gif extension using Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, or your web browser, they are still capable of being displayed and run by them. Open IE, click File then Open. From the Open dialog box, click Browse which opens the Microsoft Internet Explorer dialog box. Click the down arrow by Files of type, click GIF Files, then navigate to the .gif file, click on it, then click Open. Click OK in the Open dialog box. It should open Viewfinder, the default program you stated opens this type of file. Mine opened Windows Picture and Fax Viewer as I don't have a file association set for this type of file. It should both display and run.

For Firefox, click File then Open File..., and from the Open File dialog box, click the down arrow by File of type, and either click All Files or Image Files. Navigate to the .gif file, click on it and then click Open.

In summary, this has nothing to do with ZA. You can set either of the browsers to open a .gif file by creating a file association if it does not have one or by editing the file association if it already has one and changing the program that opens it. While you can only set one program to open a file by double-clicking on it, you can open a .gif file using the above methods for IE and Firefox by using their File menus.

The Opera web browser simplifies this by allowing you to configure it to open .gif files by double clicking on them. Click Tools, Preferences, Advanced tab, and click the Details button. Click the checkbox next to GIF Images and click OK, then OK again. It creates a file association in Folder Options so you don't have to do this manually. I didn't see this in the GUI for IE or Firefox.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

gareme Guest

Dear Watcher
    Thanks for the help. I can understand what you are saying but I still can't understand why 1 version of ZA is OK but the next update causes a problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>gareme wrote:
    I thought that I would contact Check Point and inform them of this issue only to discover that they apparantly don't want to hear for their customers unless you pay them for the privlige of ringing them on the phone. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You can contact free of charge (for register user) the ZA technical support at: www.zonealarm.com/tsform The only thing in ZA I am aware that can block animations is Privacy control (ad blocking)Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

watcher Guest

Dear gareme:

If the file association was changed or removed during the installation of the new version, that might cause the problem but I had no file association for a .gif file and animated .gif files worked fine. Had I gone through the steps outlined in your first post, I would conclude the same thing you did. However, I know from experience that file associations determine what program, by default, will open a file. That doesn't stop you from opening it with a different program, so long as that program was designed to open that type of file. A good example are the media players such as Windows Media Player, QuickTime Player, and Real Player. You can only set one of these to open a specific file type, like one with a .wav extension, but the other 2 are capable of playing these as well.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

Thread Information