Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: VSMON hugs 100% CPU and blocks computer

silvana Guest

Default VSMON hugs 100% CPU and blocks computer

we have two almost identical computers, both running WIN98se and ZA basic.on one of them, VSMON takes 100% CPU load every 8 seconds, for 3 seconds,almost blocking everything else on the computer.this is with no internet connection going, no browser opened, but ZA just sittingwith a basically idle computer.checked extremely thouroughly for virus/trojan/etc, or even simple TSR progsthat could do that, nothing.baffled! mainly because we cannot see a difference between the two machines,but this behavior of ZA. and also, because it ran fine for several months, andshowed this strange behaviour only since last week. no reason we could think of.greetings - silvana -

Message Edited by silvana on 02-18-2005 06:47 AM

Operating System:Windows 98-SE (Second Edition)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (free)
    Software Version:5.5

billc Guest

Default Re: VSMON hugs 100% CPU and blocks computer

You say you have no internet connection going...... Does this mean your computer is not online or that you are not currently using any online applications but you are still connected. Do you use in p2p or file sharing type programs? Have you granted 'server' rights to any application?

silvana Guest

no to all, bill. not internet, no other connection. line physically removed just in case.no browser running. no P2P or server rights given.and as mentioned, 2 computers, 99.9% same, sitting side by side, only one doing that.only thing running is a task monitor to show which prog hugs/blocks the CPU, and upcomes VSMON every few minutes, on the dot, going into 110%.greetings - silvana -

billc Guest

Have you done a virus or Trojan scan on that computer? If not, you might consider that. There could be a defect in Zone Alarm or you could have some nefarious application trying to 'call home' or opening ports to listen for commands. Do you have an antivirus program? Generally the reason True Vector (aka vsmon.exe ) uses so much CPU is that it is very busy watching many ports at the same time.

oscarpc Guest

You can take a look at what ZA is hanging on to & see your port activity.

I believe Guru Bill usually suggests the free Active Ports. It's good, but personally I suggest the free TCPview is better. You can even try both without conflict.

You can see more detailed data & troubleshoot more thoroughly with the free MS Port Reporter. Unlike the above, it's more complex & very time consuming to analyze the logs.

silvana Guest

bill, sorry if initial mssg was not clear enough, thought i mentioned it: very thouroughvirus scan done, several engines, for viruses and trojans and everything. the 'call home'came to my mind too, but there is nothing running (as per task monitor) that could do that.for testing (and out of frustration) i have removed the computer to the bare neccesseties.there is that strange regularity: the CPU load rises e x a c t l y every30 seconds, fore x a c t l y20 seconds. you could set a clock on this.and even if something is trying to accces the internet, and ZA trying to block it, would itraise CPU load above 100% totally blocking (incl mouse) the computer?how do i check port use? can my TaskInfo do this?can TCPview suggested above do checks while i am NOT connected to the internet at all?greetings - silvana -

Message Edited by silvana on 02-19-2005 03:27 AM

silvana Guest

well, i tried TCPview just now.while the CPU is near idle, and VSMON does (hopefully) nothing or is just watching, it shows:TCPgeri:137 GERI:0 LISTENING
    TCPgeri:138 GERI:0 LISTENING
    TCPgeri:nbsession GERI:0 LISTENING
    TCPGERI:1089 GERI:0 LISTENING
    UDPgeri:nbname *:*
    UDPgeri:nbdatagram *:*
    UDPGERI:1089 *:*
    then while the CPU is overloaded by VSMON it removes the two :1089 lines:TCPgeri:137 GERI:0 LISTENING
    TCPgeri:138 GERI:0 LISTENING
    TCPgeri:nbsession GERI:0 LISTENING
    UDPgeri:nbname *:*
    UDPgeri:nbdatagram *:*
    i cannot really interpret this as indicating any reason for the CPUoverload caused by VSMON.can you?greetings - silvana -
    PS: GERI obviously is the name of the computer

Message Edited by silvana on 02-19-2005 04:26 AM

billc Guest

Sorry Silva, you did say you scanned everything; I just forgot. Usually when a port is not in use, vsmon.exe usage should go down, not up.I expected you to say several ports where opened, not one closed.

I've never used the TCP View tool, but does it also tell you what application is using the port?

My inclination would be to suggest you uninstall your firewall the put a fresh copy in. If that does not fix it, then we know it is not the firewall causing the problem and can look elsewhere. If you will, go into the start menu and the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin.

Now download and install anew ZA Free 5.5.062.011 and let us know how it goes.

oscarpc Guest

Bill, TCPView shows the app or process & lists many less as unknown process (compared to Active Ports).

silvana Guest

well, what i had put in my mssg above was pretty much allt that TCPview told me.oscar, where else could i look to get more info?have done one thing: removed ZA from the autostart together with any TSRs thatwere possible to remove.then i have a computer that just sits there idling along, with CPU load in the 2%range, no spikes, no movement but 1/2 of a % up/down.then i start ZA, and the problem is back, immediately, same as before.so, next will be removing and reinstalling with the sytem bill outlined above. justgive me an hour (i have to eat too) ... and i sure will be back.greetings - silvana -

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information