Thread: Zone Alarm Instability

bellandbottle Guest

Default Zone Alarm Instability

A couple of weeks ago I reported that I was getting constant Suspicious Alarms, and SlyFox advised me to do a reset, which I did and all was fine......till today.

When I booted this morning, I had to have a discussion with ZA as to whether it would turn on or not. Finished the conversation and thought no more, until I got exactly the same symptoms as before (ie)constant Suspicious Alarms. A bit wiser now, I checked the tray icon to discover it was in the middle of a scan. I then checked my scan schedule to discover that it had reset itself to Friday 12.30 (normally Wed 12.10).

I have just done SlyFox's reset again, and all is stable again, but it is clear that something is causing ZA to become unstable, and I would appreciate some advice.

I am on 7.0.0.462

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

prof_fate Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm Instability

<blockquote><hr>bellandbottle wrote:
    A couple of weeks ago I reported that I was getting constant Suspicious Alarms, and SlyFox advised me to do a reset, which I did and all was fine......till today.

When I booted this morning, I had to have a discussion with ZA as to whether it would turn on or not. Finished the conversation and thought no more, until I got exactly the same symptoms as before (ie)constant Suspicious Alarms. A bit wiser now, I checked the tray icon to discover it was in the middle of a scan. I then checked my scan schedule to discover that it had reset itself to Friday 12.30 (normally Wed 12.10).

I have just done SlyFox's reset again, and all is stable again, but it is clear that something is causing ZA to become unstable, and I would appreciate some advice.

I am on 7.0.0.462

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>Check ZA Program Control &quot;Main&quot; tab..the first Weeks or so after install the SMartDefense is in Automatic mode and will change setting for you..With is Setting, even if you change some setting, SmartDefense can Chage it back..
    Until to Change SmartDefense to Manual or OFF after about 10 days to two weeks after Upgrade.
    the Program Control Setting should be moved to Maximum withing 3 weeks..
    To find out what Version of ZA you have, Right Click that ZA Tray Icon and Click &quot;About&quot; then Click &quot;Copy to Clipboard&quot; and then you can Press &quot;Ctrl - V&quot; to paste that information here in this Forum..
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:932992838
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200712.3065
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

bellandbottle Guest

I have Program Control set to Auto, and Smart Defence set to Auto - I guess all this following the reset.

My understanding is that Program Control will set itself to Maximum in 21 days. You are advising me to turn Smart Defence to Manual in about ten days -would that be correct?

Will that stop the constant Suspicious Behaviour alarms?

Thanks for the heads up on putting in my version number etc!

--------

prof_fate Guest

I have Program Control set to Auto, and Smart Defence set to Auto - I guess all this following the reset.

My understanding is that Program Control will set itself to Maximum in 21 days. You are advising me to turn Smart Defence to Manual in about ten days -would that be correct?

Will that stop the constant Suspicious Behaviour alarms?

Thanks for the heads up on putting in my version number etc!

--------
    <hr></blockquote>Thanks..
    If this was an Upgrade install and not a Clean install.. the Previous instruction whould be OK..If you chose Clean Install, then I would wait the 21 days.. and Program control should turn off the Learn mode and reset SmartDefense..

bellandbottle Guest

Maybe there is a misunderstanding, I did not do any upgrade, ZA suddenly started misbehaving all by itself. Unless there was an auto-upgrade that I did not notice, of course!

prof_fate Guest

Maybe there is a misunderstanding, I did not do any upgrade, ZA suddenly started misbehaving all by itself. Unless there was an auto-upgrade that I did not notice, of course!
    <hr></blockquote>
    Maybe I mis understood your first message..
    If this is the First
    version of Zone Alarm that
    you have ever used..Then Leave it alone for the first 21 days..
    and let Smart defense do its thing..

Thread Information