Thread: Zone Alarm(free) control center is blank

fnshman Guest

Default Zone Alarm(free) control center is blank

I recently did a repair install of WinXP Pro, and have noticed Zone Alarms control center is totally blank. The program seems to function properly, I just can't access any settings. I tried reinstalling the latest upgrade but it didn't help. Here is a screen shot of Zone Alarm.

I didn't check the control panel after the repair, everything seems to work. I noticed it when one of the computers on the network was not accessible and I tried to add the IP address. Yeah--not so much.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

WinXP Pro SP2 (fully updated)
    D-Link Wireless router (internet access OK)
    Windows Firewall Off
    Mcafee security settings for using Zone Alarm

Thanks in advance
    Fnshman

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

fnshman Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm(free) control center is blank

OK, I did an uninstall, then reinstalled ver. 6.5. Control Panel worked fine. I then updated to 7.0.462 and my problem reappeared. Program seems to be working. I get allerts for all the programs asking for internet or network access. (lots now that I did a new install). I am going to try just installing 7.0.462 to see if I still get the problem.
    Fnshman

There may be a conflict with the resident antivirus and the antivirus files/drivers of the ZA Free version 7. The installer for the ZA free version has the kaspersky antivirus components included. The McAfee antivirus could have some firewalling features included, causing issues with the firewalling of the ZA.

You could stay with the ZA 6.5 version. There really is no difference between the 6.5 and the 7.x free versions other than an different GUI.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

fnshman Guest

I suppose that's possible, but it all worked before I did a repair install of winXP. Microshaft, I mean Microsoft knows there is a problem with the repair install program and requires you to download new windows update files to force windows update to work after the repair. There could be other issues with it as well.
    If 6.5's only difference is the GUI, I'll revert back to 6.5.
    V7.0.408 also gives me the same results. Maybe an update from Mcafee is causing the conflict your suggesting.
    Anyway thanks for the info.

fnshman

Try this and se if this works for you:

Boot your computer into the Safe Mode

Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder

Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder

Clean the Recycle Bin

Reboot into the normal mode

The Zone Alarm will be cleaned of all previous settings and data and it will appear as when it was first installed.
    But the ZA should have the panels backs.

Cheers, Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

fnshman Guest

After working for almost two weeks getting rid of the vundo virus on my computer, I have discovered that the virus was the cause of the blank control center. The virus attacked zlclient.exe, along with many other start up programs. Using version 6.5 wasn't affected for some reason, but 7.x is. Because I had to remove and reinstall all the affected programs I thought I would try 7.0.462 again, and it works fine now. If your interested, I can send the log files of the five programs I used to remove the virus if will help in diagnosing someone else's problems with ZA. There's a lot of info on where this thing hides out. Just let me know and I can post them or whatever.
    Thank you
    fnshman

Thread Information