Thread: Virus detected in current Standalone ZoneAlarm Update

yontevlipman Guest

Default Virus detected in current Standalone ZoneAlarm Update

I downloaded the latest version of the Free Zonealarm update. It came in two files. I scanned both of them; and one of them came up with a virus. Please advise...how can I get a clean update? (See scan results below)

Scan performed at: 12/31/2007 21:34:32 PM
    Scanning Log
    NOD32 version 2758 (20071231) NT
    Command line: C:\Documents and Settings\Roger\Desktop\zlsSetup_70_462_000_en.exe. part
    Operating memory - is OK

Date: 31.12.2007 Time: 21:34:35
    Anti-Stealth technology is enabled.
    Scanned disks, folders and files: C:\Documents and Settings\Roger\Desktop\zlsSetup_70_462_000_en.exe. part
    C:\Documents and Settings\Roger\Desktop\zlsSetup_70_462_000_en.exe. part
    WISE
    ASKTOOLBARINSTALLER - a variant of Win32/AdInstaller application - was a part of the deleted object
    Number of scanned files: 1132
    Number of threats found: 1
    Number of files cleaned: 1
    Time of completion: 21:34:56 Total scanning time: 21 sec (00:00:21)

Time Module Object Name Threat Action User Information
    12/31/2007 21:29:03 PM IMON self-extracting archive http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...462_000_en.exe a variant of Win32/AdInstaller application Connection terminated ROGIE2\Roger

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

naivemelody Guest

Default Re:(SpyBlocker/ Ask.Toolbar) detected in current ZA Free 7.0.462

There is an issue with the new antispyware SpyBlocker/ Ask.com
    Toolbar
    in ZA Free 7.0.0462 XP/2000 - only.The "Ask.com search

Toolbar"
    is recognised by
    some anti-spyware/anti-virus tools as "adware"/ ad installer. It is not really 'bad malware' per se, it is
    an ordinary 'search engine' that will show ads (within the search results page)
    - just like Google, Microsoft Live search, Yahoo, AOL/google search engines, etc.<hr>So the question will be: during the install of ZA Free 7.0.462 - you will have the option to install with this new SpyBlocker/ Ask.com search Toolbar or you can install without. If you choose to install, you would have to press &quot;always ignore&quot; or &quot;whitelist/ safe list&quot; for detections by your anti-spy/anti-virus software. Again, this is not really &quot;bad malware.&quot;<hr>If you do install the toolbar it will add a space in the top menu area with a small search box - by Ask.com - that's in addition to your regular default search engine choice. For instance: for my IE 7 web browser I have 'google' as my default search engine at the top right; the Ask.com search engine will be 'an additional' search box in the row below - separate and unaffected by either search engines. You do do NOT have to use the 'ask.com' search engine to benefit from the new 'SpyBlocker' feature. It is always an option.
    You may show it or you may remove &quot;from view&quot; = removed from view but still exists = not deleted, yet. You can also decide to remove/delete it altogether, with the Add/ Remove of Windows &gt;
    http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...d=55694#M74566

. Your choice.<hr>http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=74709
    ZoneAlarm Free 7.0.462 XP/ 2000 - only: comes with &quot;an otptional install&quot; ZoneAlarm SpyBlocker which includes the ASK TOOLBAR. If you do not wish to have a toolbar installed un-check the box upon installation

<hr>Related subject matter &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...d=55672#M74498<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 12-31-07 - Celebration - Kool &amp; The Gang

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 01-02-2008 11:31 PM

Thread Information