Thread: Weird conflict between Windows Firewall and ZAP

ambush Guest

Default Weird conflict between Windows Firewall and ZAP

I temporarily disabled ZAP a couple of hours ago for ten minutes, and now Windows Firewall and ZAP are feuding. ZAP says everything's fine and everything seems to be working, but Windows XP Security is certain that ZAP's not running and that there's no firewall protection. So it keeps bugging me about there being no firewall, and that I should "click here" to re-enable ZAP.

So I finally give in and do what it says, but then it ACTUALLY puts Windows Firewall in charge instead, and it's for real: All further messages and permission requests come from Windows Firewall!

I try changing it back, but then we're back to the first dance.

How can I force it to understand that ZAP's running things?

A note: Something else strange happened about that time, too. All of a sudden, my main start->Programs menu (old style) is seriously shorter. It's almost as if it thinks another user is logged in, but there ARE no other users, and everything else looks like the normal user is logged in (i.e., if you try to log out, it gives the right username in the request).

Any ideas?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: Weird conflict between Windows Firewall and ZAP

Open the Windows Firewall in the Control Panel and shut off the windows firewall. Then open the Services and disable the Windows Firewall. This will stop the windows firewall.
    If the Security Center still shows the windows firewall as being active, there is a fix for this too.

Then start the PC in the safe mode and delete backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files found in the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    Clean the recycle bin and reboot back into the normal mode. This will reset the ZA database and the ZA will be as when it was first installed.
    Set the new network found as trusted, and then make sure the DNS and DHCP server IP(s) are entered as Trusted in the Zones.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 12-31-2007 12:25 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

ambush Guest

Thanks so much for your excellent reply. Frankly, although a few have tried to help me here in the past, no one on these fora have *EVER* actually been able to help me over all these years. You, sir, are the first!

Your response was swift, accurate, completely on point, and just as incisive as any I've seen.

Well done, sir. Thank you.

You are welcome, ambush. And thank you!

Best regards, Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information