Thread: vsmon.exe 100% cpu usage on youtube video upload

danwatdanwat Guest

Default vsmon.exe 100% cpu usage on youtube video upload

Whenever I am uploading a file onto www.youtube.com via their flash based uploader, every time, vsmon.exe slowly begins to use more and more CPU resources, until it finally reaches 100%, or as much as it can grab from all the other processes running on the machine. Once the video is done uploading, vsmon's CPU usage drops back down to 0% or close to it.

If I want to have a responsive computer while I upload the youtube video, I have to shut down the Zone alarm security suite (version 7.0.462.000)This is very annoying, and a security risk!

I believe this happens on 7.0.337.00 as well.

Is this a software bug?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

levanhai Guest

Default Re: vsmon.exe 100% cpu usage on youtube video upload

I just purchased a ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite license for 3 users.I have same problems even I do not use YouTube...Sometimes the vsmon.exe eats up >90% of my laptop CPU usage and causes the other programs hang!!! It is really frustrated.As a paid customer I expect there is a gate to report a bug like this but I can not find any email address for receiving bug reports!
    I'll appreciate any advice on this.Thanks,
    My Infos:

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 7.0.462.000

danwatdanwat Guest

If you have the mailsafe protection enabled, it may be the culprit, trying shutting it off and note any changes... I believe it alleviated my random problems with zonealarm, now I just have the you-tube uploading issue.

findley Guest

<blockquote><hr>Levanhai wrote:
    I just purchased a ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite license for 3 users.I have same problems even I do not use YouTube...Sometimes the vsmon.exe eats up &gt;90% of my laptop CPU usage and causes the other programs hang!!! It is really frustrated.As a paid customer I expect there is a gate to report a bug like this but I can not find any email address for receiving bug reports!I'll appreciate any advice on this.Thanks,My Infos:

Operating System: Windows XP Pro SP2
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 7.0.462.000

<hr></blockquote>

Levanhai,

Here is the link to technical support you asked for in your post:
    http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...ch_support.jsp

Regards,
    Findley

bluephoenix Guest

I have the same problem.

I have to disable Zonealarm in order to upload files in a timely manner (hours vs minutes).

I hope the Zonealarm team monitors this forum. Not being able to upload to youtube is a problem.

bluephoenix Guest

I have the same problem (even after a fresh install of my system)

I have to disable Zonealarm in order to upload anything to YouTube/Filefront in a timely manner (hours vs. minutes).

I hope the Zonealarm team monitors these forums...this uploading issue is a huge problem.

ulillillia Guest

I'm having the exact same problem and I found many clues. MailSafe has nothing to do with it. I disabled it and I watch the page fault delta value in Windows Task Manager, only while uploading constantly increase. I explained everything in a thread that's going unanswered:

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=35053

Here's in-depth details on exactly what is going on (and it's not YouTube uploading, it's any uploading):

1. I use Windows XP Pro SP2, with all Windows updates installed (including the 951748 update that caused problems earlier, but that's otherwise unrelated).
    2. With Zonealarm Pro, I had no troubles at all with uploading videos to YouTube. I've uploaded numerous files to YouTube, some over 130 MB, all AVIs.
    3. I got ZA Security Suite since my subscription expired with ZA Pro and uninstalled Norton Internet Security beforehand (since I've been wanting to get rid of it).
    4. I finished processing a video and began uploading it to YouTube. Being 38 MB, I expected at least 10 minutes for it be uploaded (on my 512 Kbps upload speed; 4 Mbps down) so while that waited, I began doing side tasks.
    5. During this time, I noticed that Windows Explorer was taking unusually long to display the list of subfolders after clicking on a + symbol next to one. I switched to Windows Task Manager (WTM; of which I've added to startup), and saw that vsmon.exe was using 100% of the CPU with 100,000+ page faults being caused per second, unusually high. By then, things were slower than a snail's pace.
    6. It took 2 minutes to attempt to close vsmon.exe, terminating the process, but I got access denied and the problem wouldn't go away. I was forced to use the reset button. This was about a minute into the process.
    7. After the reboot, I did some investigating. I accessed YouTube again, copied off my backed up text from Wordpad for the description, then repeatedly switched to WTM to see what the page fault count was along with the page fault delta (delta is change). My WTM is configured to update every half second.
    8. When I finally clicked the &quot;upload&quot; button, as I normally do, I then saw that at that moment, the page fault delta kept on increasing. It was first increasing at a rate of about 800 page faults or so per second. The CPU usage increased as the page fault delta increased. I grabbed a screenshot of it 10 minutes in. I also grabbed a screenshot of the upload. Then, just as the CPU usage reached 99% with over 100,000 page faults being caused per second, I grabbed one final screenshot (without saving), and just clicked the &quot;stop&quot; button. This blocks all internet traffic, but also cancels the upload and stops the high CPU usage.
    9. I saved the screenshots then saved each as PNG using GIMP. I took out my FTP program and uploaded those screenshots and posted links. While uploading those screenshots to my webhost, I, again, noticed that the number of page faults increased as before, but it reset after each upload was finished. Thus, while the upload is going on, the number of page faults continuously increases. The longer the upload, the higher it gets and in turn, the more CPU is being used. I could upload up to about 3 to 5 MB before my computer slows to a near-stop.
    10. I downloaded a fairly big file and the page faults were left unchanged. This means that it's only uploads that causes this problem.

Hopefully this'll help diagnose the effect. I've got a 17-segment video ready for upload, of which is just over 2 hours, but short of disabling ZA entirely, I have no way to upload it. It happened the very moment I switched to Security Suite. On my 0 to 8 bug severity scale, this ranks as a 7, very severe. Since the computer slows to a dead crawl and the process cannot be shut down, it's essentially a crash, a severe crash.

Thread Information