Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why am I (lalittle) suddenly banned from these forums?

splittle Guest

Default Why am I (lalittle) suddenly banned from these forums?

I just came back to check up on ZASS updates, and when I try to sign into the forum
    (my username is lalittle) I get a page that says I'm banned from using
    these forums
    (which is why we had to create another username
    for my wife,
    who also has ZASS installed.)
    The last time I posted to these forums was on 12/20/07, and I don't even think I've read the forums in the last several days.
    The posts I made on 12/20 were simply asking another user about how they solved a conflict, and to ask about the recent "iexplore.exe" popups that ZASS was giving me.
    These questions were both answered.
    I searched for all the posts under my username going back to the end of November, and they have all been
    relatively basic questions about various aspects of ZASS.
    There weren't even any complaints or negative comments -- they were all just questions about functionality and features in the most recent version of ZASS.
    The only conclusion I can come to is that there must have been some mistake -- perhaps somebody got banned with a name similar to mine, or ???
    The fact that there were never any warnings or other indications that this could happen also seems to indicate that this was some sort of mistake, as well as the fact that this happened such a long time after the last time I posted or even visited the site.
    ZASS has actually been working
    quite
    well for me for a while now, so I
    haven't had any problems or complaints, and even in the past when I did have problems, I have always been careful to stay within the forum guidelines.

The only "offence" that I can think of
    is that I have sometimes asked a "tangent" question in some threads, but lately I've
    been making
    a sincere effort to instead start my own threads when a question is not directly related to the original topic, and
    I certainly don't think that I did this enough to get
    banned.
    Since these forums are the main form of support for ZA, I really need to be able to use them, but
    I can't even
    access them from my main system anymore -- i.e. not even as a guest.
    Could a moderator please help me out with this?
    I honestly think that
    the ban
    was a mistake of some sort, but I'm not sure how to find out what happened, or how to proceed at this point.
    Thanks for any help with this,
    Larry

Message Edited by splittle on 01-08-2008 02:33 AM

splittle Guest

Default Re: Why am I (lalittle) suddenly banned from these forums?

One other detail that may be important.
    The page that tells me I'm banned says that I have "2147483647 minutes remaining on the ban."
    The interesting thing is that this number does not change -- i.e. it isn't counting down.
    I realize that this is moot as far as the remaining time goes, but it seems like it might be significant that the number, as large as it is, is not changing.
    Does this possibly point to a glitch in the system somewhere?
    Also, once again, I cannot even get to the sight as a guest.
    Once I try to log in as lalittle, the site completely blocks that computer from accessing the site at ALL, so I have to borrow my wife's computer just to check the status of this thread.
    I even tried
    my wife's
    laptop, and now THAT system can't access the forum.
    Thanks again for any help with this,
    Larry

Message Edited by splittle on 01-08-2008 02:33 AM

I will refer this to the Moderator. If your messages were replies to an existing message and the original message was banned, it takes the replies with it. Maybe this is what happened.

splittle Guest

<blockquote><hr>FrereOP wrote:
    I will refer this to the Moderator. If your messages were replies to an existing message and the original message was banned, it takes the replies with it. Maybe this is what happened.
    <hr></blockquote>Ah -- that could explain it.
    So you're saying that a user can actually be banned if they post to a thread
    that gets banned?
    I didn't know that was possible.
    I can't remember all the threads I responded to lately, but as I mentioned,
    I have personally not had any complaints about ZA
    in quite a while (ZASS build 462 is working well for me), so if I did post to such a thread,
    I'm
    confident that
    my contribution to the topic was most likely just asking for clarification.
    I was also
    wondering if perhaps somebody else posted to the forum using my username/account.
    Is this possible?
    I honestly haven't had any negative comments about ZA in a while, so it's really a mystery to me what it could have been that led to this.
    Please take a look at all my recent posts if you need verification on this.
    I've asked several questions since starting to use ZASS a couple months ago, but they were just general feature/function questions, and I've actually been quite happy with the product, so getting banned just doesn't make sense.
    Thanks for looking into this -- I really appreciate it.
    Larry

Message Edited by splittle on 01-08-2008 04:19 AM

<blockquote><hr>splittle wrote:

<hr></blockquote>Ah -- that could explain it. So you're saying that a user can actually be banned if they post to a thread that gets banned? I didn't know that was possible...
    <hr></blockquote>
    No, banning messages and banning users are separate unrelated actions.

splittle Guest

No, banning messages and banning users are separate unrelated actions.
    <hr></blockquote>In that case I'm back to being completely confused about what happened.
    What's the status on this?
    Did the Moderator get back to you yet?
    My other sytsem still says I'm banned.
    Thanks,
    Larry

splittle Guest

Any updates on this?
    It's been two days since I sent the emails to the administrator.
    Can any of the gurus confirm whether or not the administrator is looking into this?
    Thanks again for any help with this,
    Larry

I am still following this up. Please don't expect to see anything posted here in the forum though.

splittle Guest

I am still following this up. Please don't expect to see anything posted here in the forum though.
    <hr></blockquote>Thanks FrereOP -- I appreciate your help with this.
    If
    you need me to send you my email address, please let me know.
    Larry

Please don't ever post your e-mail address in a message because that is against forum guidelines (http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...&message.id=18) and will surely get your posts deleted. Some members allow their personal contact details (messenger handles and e-mail addresses) to be displayed in their profiles so check there first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information