Thread: Any recommendations on secondary antispyware protection?

riceorony Guest

Default Any recommendations on secondary antispyware protection?

Hello Again,

I was wondering what everyone thinks about other paid antispyware protections to be used in conjunction with ZA internet security suite.

My current set up is:
    ZyXel P1 External Firewall
    ZA Internet security suite 7.1 for vista
    Webroot spysweeper
    Windows defender

However, Spysweeper subscription will expire soon and doesn't seem to be nearly as good at detection as ZA's spyware engine.

Cheers!

Default Re: Any recommendations on secondary antispyware protection?

Hi!always IMO, for sure you do not need another paid antispyware on top of ZASS 7. ZASS 7 has already two engines for antispyware, the KAV engine (antivirus, antispyware, adware and riskware) and ZA own spyware scan.The fact that you are with VISTA means that you have got also windows defender free... so right now 4 spyware engine running on your system If you really want a second opinion (fifth opinion?)I would go with the free superantispyware. You can run it from time to time.It is regarded as an excellent spyware scanner especially for resistant/persistent malware.You find it here:http://www.superantispyware.com/down...NTISPYWAREFREEFor sure, I would not renew the subscription to SS (IMO).Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 01-10-2008 08:48 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Agreed I doubt you need Spy Sweeper adding SuperAntispyware should be more then enough but if you still want to use Spy Sweeper don't renew your subscription take a look at Guru Slyfox post here

<a href="http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=Off-Topic&message.id=17578" target=_blank>http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=Off-Topic&message.id=17578<a/>

riceorony Guest

Thanks a lot to the both of you!

watcher Guest

Dear riceorony:

I would keep the Spy Sweeper but dump Windows Defender. It is a poor antispyware utility per a recent PC Magazine review. Whatever you decide, only have one operating its real-time scanner. Use the others for on-demand scanning only. What one misses, another may catch.

The antispyware utilities that you use are all signature-based. There are also behavior-based antispyware scanners. One I can recommend is the free PC Tools ThreatFire. It only detects active threats, uses little RAM, and with no compatibility problems using other antispyware programs. PC Magazine tested it and stated it was effective in the detection and removal of active spyware. Right now I have it operating its real-time scanner along with a commercial signature-based antispyware utility and I have 3 other signature-based antispyware utilities that I use only for on-demand scanning.

If you prefer a commercial behavior-based antispyware utility, check out Prevx2.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

riceorony Guest

Thanks Watcher, I'll take everyones advice into consideration :-)

These forums rock.

Thread Information