Thread: Removal from Quarantine Does...???

jimclark Guest

Default Removal from Quarantine Does...???

Hello everyone.
    I have two trojan downloaders isolated in quarantine.
    This is Trojan-Downloader.JS.Iframe.u which ZA says may be repairable in a future upgrade.
    If I DELETE these files using the DELETE button, does that mean, I have deleted these files from my computer or does it mean I have deleted these files from quarantine?
    In other words, is deleting just removing the files from quarantine or is it actually getting rid of {destroying} those files off my computer?
    Secondly, if I just delete these files from my computer, will that necessarily get rid of them permanently, or can they re-establish themselves?
    Thanks - Jimmy

watcher Guest

Default Re: Removal from Quarantine Does...???

Dear jimclark:

If you click Delete, they are deleted off your hard drive. Whether or not the malware returns depends upon the malware and what it all installed when your PC was initially infected. Some malware install in multiple locations and use the Registry to recreate copies that are deleted. However, if you run an antivirus and antispyware scan at least weekly, you would notice this behavior as the same malware would keep showing up. Also, if you are visiting the same sites where you picked the malware up originally, you risk reinfecting your computer again. In fact, safe surfing is as important as any security software in protecting your computer.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

jimclark Guest

Thank you for the reply.
    That is exactly what I wanted to know.
    May I suggest that Zone Alarm clarifywhat delete means?
    Such as saying "Delete infections from hard disk" or something else along thatline?
    To me, the simplest way to get rid of the infections is to delete these files from the computer.However, just saying "delete" might mean, just deleting them from quarantine and not from the computer.Oh well, thank you...at least I know I can delete these files and get them off my computer.
    I will keepwatch and see if ZA picks up another instance.

watcher Guest

Dear jimclark:

CheckPoint, publisher of ZoneAlarm, does not monitor this forum but you could go to their website to give them feedback on it.

Yes, the simplest way to get rid of infections is to delete them off your hard drive. However, quarantine does serve a purpose. Just suppose, an antivirus or antispyware utility flagged an ordinary file as malicious and quarantined it. It happens all the time, the frequency dependent upon how good the utility is in detecting malware. If you have your utility configured to just delete the flagged file, you may have a problem, especially if the flagged file was a system file. When set to quarantine, the file is prevented from functioning and you have the opportunity to look closely at the file and information about it to determine if it is in fact malware. You then have a choice of whether to delete it, if actual malware, or restore it, if not malware. I once plugged in a USB flash memory key to a school computer, whose enterprise antivirus program instantly scanned, and it deleted a number of programs I had been using for research. I had to go back on the Internet to download them again, wasting precious time.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

Message Edited by WATCHER on 01-14-2008 05:36 PM

Thread Information