Thread: Zone Alarm has been doing a scan for 18 hours and 12 minutes

Hybrid View

rodeman Guest

Default Zone Alarm has been doing a scan for 18 hours and 12 minutes

I know it's hard to believe and I have that same feeling.
    My zone alarm has been scanning my system for 18 hours.
    It was set to do a virus/spyware scan last night begining at 11pm.
    It's now 6:30 pm the following day and still running.
    I'm using Zone Alarm version 7.0.462.000 and have never seen anything like this before.
    in my task bar is the yellow box with the red magnifying glass.
    And it just keeps running and running.
    My computer does not have that much stuff on it.
    The hard drive is only 230 gig.
    So I don't know why it's taking so long.

Does anyone have any ideas why it's taking so long and what I can do?
    Do I need to unistall and is there a newer version to install?
    I still
    have 99 days on my subscription so I don't want to loose that.
    But I could use some help because I think this will run for another three days the way it's going.
    And I'm worried that each week when it runs this scan, it will take more than a day to do it each time, and there is no reason for that to happen.
    I do have a NAS drive on my network but I don't believe it's scanning that.
    it doesn't even know the drive exists.
    Any help on this idea would be great.

Thanks,John

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Zone Alarm has been doing a scan for 18 hours and 12 minutes

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>rodeman wrote:
    I know it's hard to believe and I have that same feeling. My zone alarm has been scanning my system for 18 hours. It was set to do a virus/spyware scan last night begining at 11pm. It's now 6:30 pm the following day and still running.I'm using Zone Alarm version 7.0.462.000 and have never seen anything like this before. in my task bar is the yellow box with the red magnifying glass. And it just keeps running and running. My computer does not have that much stuff on it. The hard drive is only 230 gig. So I don't know why it's taking so long.Does anyone have any ideas why it's taking so long and what I can do? Do I need to unistall and is there a newer version to install? I stillhave 99 days on my subscription so I don't want to loose that. But I could use some help because I think this will run for another three days the way it's going. And I'm worried that each week when it runs this scan, it will take more than a day to do it each time, and there is no reason for that to happen.I do have a NAS drive on my network but I don't believe it's scanning that. it doesn't even know the drive exists.Any help on this idea would be great.Thanks,John

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> to the Zone Alarm User Forum..about scanning... did you set the engine priority to HIGH? Ordo you havethe scan to MEDIUM?
    That settings can make quite a difference in speed of scan.
    OK just tested Full Scan on High setting..147,000 Files in 31 Minutes.. on High Setting CPU for Scanprocess was 5% to 12 %147,000 Files in 67 Minutes on Medium Setting

-----------------------------------------------------------

I think you right.. I would go into ZA Overview/Preferences and Un-Check "Load Zone Alarm on Startup"

Disconnect from the internet and Reboot computer..

Try a clean unistall of the program then reinstall the program.....

Click on Start -&gt; Programs -&gt; Zone Labs
    RIGHT-click on Uninstall Zone Labs Security, then select Properties.
    Under Target you will see the following line (the actual drive may be different on your system):
    "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninstexe"
    Change it to:
    "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean (add a space and then the /clean)
    Click OK to save the new command line.
    Click on Start -&gt; Programs -&gt; Zone Labs -&gt; Uninstall Zone Labs Security
    Click OK to run the uninstaller, and OK any security alerts that pop up.
    say "Yes when being prompted for the removal of all files and allow TrueVector to shut down.
    Reboot
    Now reinstall the ZA program again
    Go into Overview/Preferences and Re-Check "Load Zone Alarm on Startup"Please post back with your progress..
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:942708770
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.187.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200801.3165
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

hhcalderon Guest

Most likely it is &quot;stuck&quot; while scanning HXS files. Try avoiding scanning the directories containing them (e.g. C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\1033). If you search for &quot;HXS&quot; in these forums you'll realize it is a known bug.

myhrddin Guest

At 3 hours, with the Anti-Spyware scan pending, it'd scanned roughly 71,500 files.
    I'd installed from CD earlier in the day and was doing a scan after updating it's various signatures ..which was going slowly, when it notified me of a newer version of the software so, after installing and making sure it was up to date I began the scan.. still running now.. mentioned above.

This'll never work. I have all my clients running complete scans on their systems daily. Usually after they've finished for the day or scheduled at times when they've finished for sure.

The last software suite I liked was the '06 version of PC-Cillin .. beta tested the '07.. wouldn't recommend and tried the '08 after it was released .. might as well call the 07-08 Symantec with they lead weights they put on system performance. Anyway, I'm only looking for a replacement because someone at Trend told me they would be dropping support sometime in 08 on the 06 version.

Aside from the painfully slow scanning with the new ZA Suite, it looks like you cannot schedule a complete scan .. how in the world can you figure out when to run the spyware and virus scans when there's no idea how long they're gonna take. I saw mention of scans getting stuck in some ms office files.. I use Open Office so, those can't be part of the issue here.

Also, I have Trend set to check for updates every hour that its got access to the net, its obvious they work round the clock because updates come out at all hours of the day and night.. I couldn't find any frequency of update settings in ZA Suite.. Hopefully I've just overlooked this due to my newness with it.

Please, I need an honest answer here .. I'm responsible for roughly 50 individuals' system security and need to have workable solutions without sacrificing a&gt;System Performance b&gt;System Resources (beyond reasonable limits) c&gt;User-usable system time (total minus scan time requirements).

Thanks for reading through this ZA-Newbie's worries.n.concerns.
    ~Myhr
    .end.trans.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Myhrddin wrote:
    At 3 hours, with the Anti-Spyware scan pending, it'd scanned roughly 71,500 files.
    I'd installed from CD earlier in the day and was doing a scan after updating it's various signatures ..which was going slowly, when it notified me of a newer version of the software so, after installing and making sure it was up to date I began the scan.. still running now.. mentioned above.

This'll never work. I have all my clients running complete scans on their systems daily. Usually after they've finished for the day or scheduled at times when they've finished for sure.

The last software suite I liked was the '06 version of PC-Cillin .. beta tested the '07.. wouldn't recommend and tried the '08 after it was released .. might as well call the 07-08 Symantec with they lead weights they put on system performance. Anyway, I'm only looking for a replacement because someone at Trend told me they would be dropping support sometime in 08 on the 06 version.

Aside from the painfully slow scanning with the new ZA Suite, it looks like you cannot schedule a complete scan .. how in the world can you figure out when to run the spyware and virus scans when there's no idea how long they're gonna take. I saw mention of scans getting stuck in some ms office files.. I use Open Office so, those can't be part of the issue here.

Also, I have Trend set to check for updates every hour that its got access to the net, its obvious they work round the clock because updates come out at all hours of the day and night.. I couldn't find any frequency of update settings in ZA Suite.. Hopefully I've just overlooked this due to my newness with it.

Please, I need an honest answer here .. I'm responsible for roughly 50 individuals' system security and need to have workable solutions without sacrificing a&gt;System Performance b&gt;System Resources (beyond reasonable limits) c&gt;User-usable system time (total minus scan time requirements).

Thanks for reading through this ZA-Newbie's worries.n.concerns.
    ~Myhr
    .end.trans.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> to the Zone Alarm User Forum..What Version and Flavor of ZA? You say from a CD? is this a Store Bought Box version?was it Security Suite 2007 or 2008? and what OS? XP, XP Pro, Win2000? or Vista?It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..
    If you would Describe your Computer Setup/OS and Version of Zone Alarm that you are having a problem with
    and what difficulty you are having, and what Previous Version of ZA and Norton, McAfee or other Security programs that you have installed,
    there are several very knowledgeable Volunteer Participants willing to help you try solving your problem with Zone Alarm..Please provide as much detail and error messages etc. that you see on your ComputerMonitor. If you have a question or a problem Please start your own thread. And start only 1 thread for each problem.</COLOR>

Please Right Click on the ZA Tray icon on the Lower Right and Click the "About" Option this will pop up a windows with all the Info about your Version Of ZA including the complete Version Number.. Click the "Copy to Clipboard" and Paste that information Here in the Forum by pressing the "CTRL-V" key..---------------------------------------
    My Vista Configuration:

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.1.247.000
    TrueVector version:7.1.247.000
    Driver version:7.1.247.000
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:942823528
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200801.3175
    AntiSpam version:5.0.0.8843
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Second Computer
    Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version: 7.1.247.000 (Vista)
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Pro Beta
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200801.3175--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:942823528
    GeorgeV

myhrddin Guest

Hi George.
    Yeah, you're right.. here's the info;

---2nd dataset, a reboot update arrived after 1st set---

Anti-virus signature DAT file version:942872101
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0

---
    This pc is running xp home sp2 with latest patches
    It has 1gb ram and a 2ghz intel p4 cpu, 64mb nVidia agp video.
    It makes a good average system to do tests on.

as of roughly 3h.45m it'd gotten to 'round 90k files scanned.
    To its credit, when I skipped the rest of the scan, it completed the spyware scan in a normal amount of time.

Thanks for your quick response.
    In the future I will start a new topic per issue.

~Myhr

Message Edited by Myhrddin on 01-18-2008 10:14 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Myhrddin wrote:
    Hi George.
    Yeah, you're right.. here's the info;
    ---
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:942872101
    ---
    This pc is running xp home sp2 with latest patches
    It has 1gb ram and a 2ghz intel p4 cpu, 64mb nVidia agp video.
    It makes a good average system to do tests on.

as of roughly 3h.45m it'd gotten to 'round 90k files scanned.
    To its credit, when I skipped the rest of the scan, it completed the spyware scan in a normal amount of time.

Thanks for your quick response.
    In the future I will start a new topic per issue.

~Myhr
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for your Feedback.. That is informative.. ON my Older XP Box with 2 GB Ram and Intel Pentium IV 3.0 GHZ ZASS 7.0.462 AV Scan takes about 95 Minutes to Scan 200,000 files with Scan Speed set on Highand 2 Hours 30 Minutes with AV Speed set to the default Medium setting.. I have not observed any problems with 7.0.462.000 on my XP computer..However, There has been a reportedAV Scan problem Fixed in the Current ZASS XP BETA 7.0.464.000<P class=headred1><B class=headred1><A id=version name=version target=_blank></A>[/B]Version currently in testing:

ZoneAlarm Security Suite 7.0.464.000 <B class=headred2>(Beta Version for Windows 2000/XP only)[/B]

<B class=headred1><A id=known name=known target=_blank></A>[/B]

<B class=headred1><A id=fixed name=fixed target=_blank></A>Fixed Issues[/B]<UL><LI>Antivirus: Fixed high scanning process and vsmon CPU usage after AV updates</LI>[/list]

<B class=headred1>

Testing Details[/B]

<B class=headblack2>Who is eligible to test?[/B]

This is an open Beta and anybody is welcome to participate.

We do NOT suggest using Beta software unless you are familiar with editing the registry, manually removing the product, and so on. Remember that there is NO technical support for the Beta versions.

IMPORTANT: We do not support upgrades from Beta to any shipping version. Once a beta expires (every Beta build hard expires after 60 days) users will need to eitherupgrade toa newer beta build or uninstall the beta and re-install a shipping client version. If you had a valid license key before you installed the beta build, it will still be on the system and a shipping build will recognize it.

There is No ETA of When this BETA will Become a Fixed distributed Release.. but it has been in testing for a while

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Here is a List of Bug Fixes in the ZASS XP 7.0.462.000 Version..<P class=headblack2><A id=7.0.462.000 name=7.0.462.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 7.0.462.000<UL class=body><LI>Performance improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Improved system boot time <LI>Included a new anti-spyware engine <LI>Fixed problems with AV on dual-core and hyper-threaded machines. </LI>[/list]<LI>Stability improvements in anti-virus: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed occasional hangs in advanced dialog window <LI>Fixed occasional hangs during scan <LI>Fixed occasional hangs in after repair of archive (or similar) on CD. </LI>[/list]<LI>Additional Stability improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed occasional crashes in vsmon <LI>Fixed occasional hangs during shutdown <LI>Fixed occasional hangs in UpdClient. <LI>Fixed various install and upgrade issues <LI>Fixed window activation issue associated with automatic updates <LI>Compatibility: Fixed compatibility issue with Intuit Software </LI>[/list]<LI>Anti-virus improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed anti-virus signature versions not showing, <LI>Don't reschedule AV updates after initial update completes </LI>[/list]<LI>Anti-spyware improvements: <UL class=body><LI>New anti-spyware engine <LI>Fixed issue where AS updates reported the client up to date when the client had no internet access </LI>[/list]<LI>Ease-of-use improvements: <UL class=body><LI>New: Added Automatic Network Configuration to Wizard (will automatically add Domain Controller, DNS, DHCP, Network Printers and, mapped network drives to trusted zone) <LI>Changed update frequency default to every 3 hours </LI>[/list]<LI>Customization improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Made AV/AS update frequency configurable <LI>Added Global Reset-to-Default feature (invoked via Ctrl+Shift+right click on ZA icon in system tray). <LI>Various other fixes and improvements </LI>[/list]</LI>[/list]
    GeorgeV

myhrddin Guest

Thanks again GeorgeV.

I'm going to go through and adjust the Scan speed to high and see how it goes.
    Will probably also try the beta and see how it does too.

Thanks much.!

~Myhr
    .end.trans.

Thread Information