Thread: ZoneAlarm causes Internet Explorer to freeze when you try to use menu items

johnrausch Guest

Default ZoneAlarm causes Internet Explorer to freeze when you try to use menu items

I first experienced this when using IE a few days ago. Normally, I use Firefox, so I don't know how long it's been going on. Here's what happens:

1. You try to use a menu item, say Tools>Options. IE is then completely locked up.

2. Now, you cannot get IE to work even if you kill it from task manager and restart it.

3. Furthermore, other Windows "things" like Computer Management also freeze when you try to use one of their menu items like properties of the system. It shows the labels, but not the system information, and it freezes Computer Management.

No CPU time is being used by any process as far as I can tell. Looks like someone is waiting for something that will never happen.

If I shut down ZoneAlarm after a freeze, it doesn't help. If I shut it down before, everything works as expected.

I am running the latest update from ZoneAlarm and Windows XP Professional with all Windows updates installed on a dual Opteron system.

System is very lean with very few, very legitimate processes running.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

zaswing Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm causes Internet Explorer to freeze when you try to use menu items

One possibility is an alert that must be answered, and perhaps you don't see it?

Whenever you want to run IE, ZA throws an alert telling you about IE wants to monitor your keystrokes and mouse movements, and you need to allow it. If you suppressed the alerts, that might then explain it, because if you can't see it, you can't react to it.

Just a guess

watcher Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm causes Internet Explorer to freeze when you try to use menu items

Dear JohnRausch:

I have ZAPRO and IE works fine. Check your program permissions for IE and post them. Go to Program Control panel, Programs tab, and scroll down to Internet Explorer. List the program permissions starting from SmartDefense column to Send Mail.

As for Computer Management, did you make changes to services.msc recently. Click Start, Run, type services.msc and click OK. Find the DCOM Server Process Launcher and list the values under Status and Startup Type columns. Ditto for Logical Disk Manager.

WATCHER

johnrausch Guest

This is a possibility, but if I suppressed it once and now cannot see it, how do I change the settings ? Delete the IE enters in the Programs list?

zaswing Guest

It all depends on the cause. If you answer WATCHER's questions, that might help.
    One way you can check some alerting messages (similar to 'confirm to contact ZA') theory is close or minimize all windows. Now start IE.
    If IE comes in currently maximized, I can't help you.
    But if the window is resizeable (as I feel all windows should be ) then move it all around, and see if perhaps there's some message to be answered in the center of the screen.
    If it's the suppressed ZA alerts (but probably not), from the Help file:
    To enable system tray alerts:
    1. Select Alerts & Logs|Main.
    2. Click Advanced, then click the System Tray Alert tab.
    3. Select the Enable system tray alert icon check box.

johnrausch Guest

Default Thanks for suggestions - I uninstalled/reinstalled last update and problem went away

I could not find anything that would work in the suggestions given. I don't know why IE menu items that open a dialog (is that the right term for things like the options in IE?) are tied ONLY to other Windows things like and Computer Management window, My Computer properties, etc. But ZA must be waiting for a process that handles these for all of the above. However, only IE would start the lock up.

For any ZA folks that read this:

How can you expect the typical computer user to figure out what to do when ZA locks up like this? It has caused me other problems in the past with installs, etc., but this one gave no hint that ZA might be causing the problem. Because has itself into everything running, you should have a "monitor" process that makes sure ZA is not waiting for stuff beyond a certain time limit and take some appropriate action. I saw no alert that I had to allow and there was no indication of what was locking up IE.

I can imagine that with all of the alerts (from the settings of previous versions of ZA before "auto learn", that I COULD have selected DENY for IE when the update for ZA that monitors keystroke and mouse clicks arrived because I only use IE when absolutely necessary. If DENY creates a situation where ZA locks up IE, or and program, without warning that is not a good thing. I should see a message saying that ZA has blocked something like this.

Default Re: Thanks for suggestions - I uninstalled/reinstalled last update and problem went away

Hi!most of the time, the ZAlogs (ZA Alerts&Log --> Log Viewer) are revealing and an essential tool for troubleshooting blocks and problems.Everything should be recorded there....ZA does not know that you have blocked a program by mistake and once set to block a program it will record the block but not warn you.To get alerts due to ZA blocks just go to ZA Alerts&Logs main tab --> Advanced--> Alerts Events Tab -->Tick on 'Alert' for 'Block programs' and 'OSfirewall'. This should cover most of the blocks due to incorrect ZA Program Control settings.For an overview of ZA functions and options you can have a look at the manual it contains a lot of useful information and troubleshooting steps.http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/me...ser_manual.pdfHope this helps.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

johnrausch Guest

Default Re: Thanks for suggestions - I uninstalled/reinstalled last update and problem went away

Thanks. I have made that setting on the reinstalled ZA. I restored the log files from all of the days I was having this problem and there are no entries for iexplorer.exe.

Hi!restoring the settings does not restore the logs...Or you mean that now that you have restored the settings you get slowdowns?If yes, then thesettings are simply corrupted and the original problemwas not caused bya wrongselection.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 01-18-2008 11:33 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information