Thread: Password not recognized

efhii Guest

Default Password not recognized

On a XP machine, the password has decided not to work (not changed by me). I tried removing the file extensions, empty the recyle bin and reboot and now it is worse, it won't allow access to the internet. version 7.462. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

watcher Guest

Default Re: Password not recognized

Dear efhii:

I'm assuming you meant the password for your ZAISS edition. I saved this document from CheckPoint's web site. Here is the text of that document.

ZoneAlarm Customer Care

This Information Applies to:

All ZoneAlarm Products

Summary:

If you have a password problem or can't remember your password, the ONLY way to remove a ZoneAlarm password that is forgotten, corrupted, or will not work is to remove the database files associated with TrueVector, as follows:

Please note that this will remove your program permissions and Trusted Zone settings (so you may want to make note of them, or make a backup in version 4 or later).
    Reboot your system into either Safe Mode or to a Command Prompt. The method is determined by your OS, but most systems will boot into Safe Mode by either pressing F8 at the beep or holding the CTRL key during boot-up.
    For more information on rebooting your specific system in Safe Mode, click Start, then Help. Click the Search tab, and type in Safe Mode. Double-click Start Windows in Safe Mode for the instructions. Open the Internet Logs directory (in 9x/ME this will be c:\windows\internet logs , in NT/2000 it will be c:\winnt\internet logs, in Windows XP it could be either of these folders).
    Delete all files that have the extensions .RDB, .LDB, or TMP.
    Empty your Recycle Bin.
    REBOOT

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

efhii Guest

Thansk for the response, this is the same information that has previously been posted and yet did not work. In addition to what you suggested to do I had to do:

Clear the registry entry with the steps below:

- Go to Start -> Run

- Type in regedit and press OK

- On the left find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Click on the plus next to this and make it a minus.

- Find the SOFTWARE folder; click on the plus and make it a minus

- Find the Zone Labs folder; click on the plus and make it a minus

- Find the TrueVector folder; click on the plus and make it a minus

- Find the Store folder; click on it

- On the right, locate and left click on the 'upwval' entry

- Press delete and then say yes to the alert that pops up

I hope this can be of help to all.

watcher Guest

Dear efhii:

The Store subkey doesn't exist in that location. Mine has 2 subkeys for the TrueVector subkey, LocalStoreDir and LogStoreDir. They merely point to the Internet Logs subfolder location.

If followed correctly, deleting those files in the Internet Logs subfolder should have deleted your configuration database, removing ANY configuration you may have had. You will probably have to uninstall ZAISS, using its uninstaller off the Start menu(rather than Add or Remove Programs, and reinstall it. The info for doing this should be posted on this forum. If not, let me know and I will post it for you.

WATCHER

efhii Guest

It did for me. That is the EXACT procedure I had to due to get it working again.

Thread Information