Thread: Constant Traffic

edangp Guest

Default Constant Traffic

I just installed ZA Pro on my second system, a Pentium D. This system is only hooked up to the internet for short periods of time.
    The ZA tray icon always flashes that it has traffic . I never have seen the normal icon (Z) for more than 3-5 seconds. I have tracked the problem down to the Intel Desktop Utilities (iptray.exe).
    Intel states that this is a Zone Alarm Problem and refuses to help me.
    I need to have the Intel Desktop Utilities program running, so I cannot just disable this. Google shows no problems in this area that I could find. I am trying to start a home business and this is my work computer so it is important for me to find the problem.

Does anyone know what may be causing this?
    Thank you

XP Pro with all the current updates
    Zone Alarm Pro 7.0.462.000
    True Vector 7.0.462.000
    Driver version 7.0.462.000

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: Constant Traffic

Hi!
    Its the first time I hear about this problem.
    Better you contact ZA technical support directly at: www.zonealarm.com/tsform

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

zaswing Guest

ipsec.exe
    http://www.microcenter.com/understan...l_cooling.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/23...ktop-utilities

Seems to be a monitoring utility. It does not need to run at all except when you want. It's probably probing the local host 127.0.0.1 constantly. Just shut it off from starting when computer boots.

Does it monitor/report things like internet, LANs, NIC cards besides the processor temperature?

How did you pin it down on that and not something else? There was a version of AntiVir, for instance, that constantly chattered with the local host and ZA reacted to every packet.

Edit:
    From http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...p;DwnldID=7532 =eng
    Intel
    Desktop Utilities is a system monitoring application that is essential for the system user who does not have the support of a large IT department. Intel Desktop Utilities provides you with the means to monitor system temperatures, voltages, fan speeds, and hard drive health; view detailed system information, and test your system hardware for common errors. Intel Desktop Utilities will display and log alerts if system parameters deviate from optimal setting to let users take preventative action.

That 'detailed system information' is a red flag to me.
    And they can't even spell "preventive" correctly

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 01-29-2008 09:12 PM

joeschmoe Guest

This a real problem. I have the same issue with the intel desktop utilities (IDU). The offending part of IDU is the program awtray.exe or also known as Adminworks tray program. This program appears to be constantly sending probes to the loopback port 127.0.0.1. For me, uninstalling is NOT an option, because I need this program to monitor my processor temperature. Occasionally, my enclosure air filter may become clogged causing the processor temperature to rise a bit out of specification, because I am in a relatively warm environment. As a result, I REQUIRE this monitor program to be running to alert me when things are amiss with the processor temperature so I can take whatever action is necessary (such as cleaning the filter) to keep temperatures down to avoid damage to the processor, actually, the throttling of the processor that occurs when the temperature gets too high.

I have had the same response from Intel---basically nothing.

It appears the zonealarm does NOT play well with the IDU. I had issues where things stopped working when I first installed zonealarm, and I had to remove and reinstall IDU, and ever since, its been constantly probing my loopback port at about a 1 Hertz rate. It seems to me that this is not proper behavior, but then prior to installing zonealarm, I had no idea that it was happening. It doesn't appear to be harmful, since I have zonealarm set to block any access to the net by this program, but at worst, it causes a slight slowing in local net bandwidth due to these constant accesses. Don't know what the solution is, but one possibility is to install another monitoring program. There is a program called "Speedfan" that can monitor the processor temps also. I installed it with the IDU still installed, and the temperatures and voltages that Speedfan reports appear to agree with the IDU. If it also has alerting capabilities, it may be a viable substitute for IDU.

zaswing Guest

This is a very old thread you just hooked into.

On the Firewall zones tab, is your loopback address 127.0.0.1 in the trusted zone? it should be.
    In the Programs list, do you allow those monitoring programs or awtray.exe program a green checkmark for the trusted zone? you should. And if they talk back they may need Trusted server rights.

Thread Information