Thread: Not remembering Accept or Deny

Hybrid View

dabigkahuna Guest

Default Not remembering Accept or Deny

I have Zone Alarm Security Suite (lastest update) along with Windows XP.

For some time, including at least before the last update and maybe earlier, ZA does not remember an instruction to always remember what I tell it to do.

Sometimes it is a minor annoyance with a single item when I boot.

But other times it is a complete nightmare such as today. It apparently started to go into a scan and, for virus scans, it seemed to ask me to accept or deny for each and every item it scanned! Marking the check mark to remember did no good at all. After some effort, I was able to get the scan to stop, but when it did the spyware scan, the problem was similar - except it didn't ask for every item.

While trying to get it to stop the scan, I've not always been able to do anything except shut the computer off - couldn't even do a proper shutdown!

After rebooting, I tried to run the scan manually with similar problems. However, after turning off the power again and booting, it came up with a message saying it was scanning (as I was typing this). It didn't take very long though before it said it was finished. I do not know whether it was trying a virus or spyware scan though.

So, how the heck do I get it to remember when I accept something?

Default Re: Not remembering Accept or Deny

Hi!
    as you describe it seems really that your ZA settings are corrupted.
    Try to reset them and do not restore any previous settings you have created.

Also try to keep your ZASS to default settings especially the Program Control.
    Is your XP updates to the latest patch? ZA does not support XP SP1.

This way:
    1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

ZA database corruption usually happens for the following reasons:
    - Recent PC hangs/crash
    - Cold shutdown (improper shutdown of the machine)
    - Malware infections
    - Conflicts with other tools (spyware scanners, antivirus, firewall, etc...)

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

dabigkahuna Guest

Yes, I have the latest XP version.

I followed the instructions, though I'll have to do a little testing with it before I can be sure it worked. I can say that when I rebooted, I didn't get the pop-up I have always gotten recently in that situation so that's a good sign.

I'm not sure (this problem goes back a long time), but I think the first problem I had with this was when using Realplayer to play some streaming video. It would periodically ask me to act as a server (no idea why). For awhile I would deny it, but not make the setting permanent to make sure the video still came through. Since it always did, I told it to remember the setting - but it would still come up with the same question periodically. I started wondering if Realplayer was somehow changing the setting on ZA since it didn't happen all the time. But eventually I started having all those other problems so maybe that wasn't it.

Thanks.

Good!Thank you for taking the time to report back.Cheers,Fax

dabigkahuna Guest

For the record, I've now rebooted a total of 5 times and never had that initial pop-up show up - which was the most consistent problem. Don't know if Realplayer will prompt again yet about being a server - that one was not every time. Likewise with the scanning problem. I am running the ZA scans right now and not getting any pop-ups, but that has sometimes worked before too.

But I noticed something else. ZA has almost always been the last icon to show up in the task bar. Until I reset it, it has taken a LONG time to do so - never timed it, but it would be measured in minutes after the next to last icon. Since the reset, it only takes about 25 seconds.

Thanks again.

Yep, thank you.
    Sounds like really your settings were corrupted.

Cheers,
    Fax

Thread Information