Thread: File sharing is on in limited user account in Vista Ultimate but not in administrator account

cbr Guest

Default File sharing is on in limited user account in Vista Ultimate but not in administrator account

Hi, I am using the latest version of Zoneralarm security suite for vista ultimate. I want to set file sharing off for all users that use the computer. When I login in as a limited user in vista and go to Vista control panel > windows firewall > network and sharing center, I notice that the file sharing is "on" and it says you can use your firewall program to change this setting. May I ask how can I change that setting in zonealarm security suite? But when I login as administrator and go to Vista control panel > windows firewall > network and sharing center, I notice that the file sharing is "off". I am confused. Please help. I want to set file sharing off for all users that use the computer.

My second qwuestion is, I also nptice that windows firewall is always off automatically when I use my computer with zonealarm security suite on, may I ask if zonealarm security suite automatically turn that off? I thought I can use both at the same time??

Operating System:Windows Vista Ultimate
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: File sharing is on in limited user account in Vista Ultimate but not in administrator account

Hi!File sharing is controlled by ZAunder the firewall zone.
    In my case it is ON both the limited account and the administrator account. This should be the case if everything works as it should.So I don't why in your case one if OFF and the other is ON. Probably some tools you are running on the administrator account that you are not running on the limited access account?Or modification, registry cleaning, etc.. that you did on the administrator account that you have not done on the limited account?No idea...Do you want to share files with other PCs on your LAN? This is done in the firewall tab of ZA by adding their IP to the firewall trusted zone.Please have a look into the ZA manual for details about your internet zone, your trusted zone and the functions of the firewall.http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/med...ser_manual.pdfAlso see here how to set your home network and share resources:http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...p;lid=zasupp_hIf you are concerned about sharing of files within the same PC. Just click on "Show me all the files and folder I am sharing" (in the same network window as the ON settings), right click on the folder(s) --> Push on Share and adjust permissions.WARNING: You cannot run two firewall at the same time. Thiswill cause conflicts and serious problems.Only one. Also you cannot run two antivirus at the same time, they will fight for resources and access to your system ending up blocking each other.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

cbr Guest

Default Re: File sharing is on in limited user account in Vista Ultimate but not in administrator account

Thanks for your reply. May I ask how can I set it up in zonealarm security suite to disable file sharing? I cannot find that option. I do not want to enable file sharing at all.

I did not use any software to change'clean registry and I installed vista ultimate (clean install) about two days ago. I did not add many softwares yet. I am wondefing if this is because vista ultimate is different from vista home premium etc? This is the first time I use vista.

Hi!
    it was explained in my previous post. :-)
    Set you firewall zones to internet and remove permissions to folders.

Easy and fast. Disregard the ON switch. Sharing is governed by ZA.

Cheers,
    Fax

cbr Guest

Thanks for your reply. I went to firewall setting > internet zone security > I clicked on the "custom" button, and I do not see ther option to disable file/folder sharing, I only see the red checkmark besides "allow broadcast/multicast"?

Hi!as far as I understood you want not to share anything with anyone right?Then go to ZA firewall tab --> Zones tab --> and then double check that your network card is to "Internet"Leave all the rest (DNS, DHCP and Loopback) as trustedThis way you DO NOT share any resources with external PCs.The go to control panel --> Network and Internet --> Network and sharing --> Scroll down the window and click on "Show me all the files and folder I am sharing" --> right click on the folder(s) --> properties --> sharing tab -->Share --> and select "stop sharing".This way all folder(s) will not be shared within the PCCheers,Fax

cbr Guest

Many thanks for your help. I did the first step but for the second step, I went to control panel --> Network and Internet --> Network and sharing --> Scroll down the window and click on "Show me all the files and folder I am sharing" --> it showed a folder named "Shared By Me", I tight clicked on that folder --> properties --> but I cannot find the sharing tab and thus I cannot finish the step. I am using Windows Vista Ultimate.

Hi!I don't have that folder... but check inside.It is empty? Than you should not worry.Fax

cbr Guest

Thanks!

Thread Information