Thread: wireless: blocked, outgoing, "air.setup"

lacewing Guest

Default wireless: blocked, outgoing, "air.setup"

Only when using wifi access do I occasionally see that ZA is blocking outgoing messages to 192.168.11.1 (normal wifi DNS address) for Destination DNS air.setup. It never happens on dial-up.

I think I need to know what the heck this is all about because not long after the block(sometimes right away, sometimes an hour later) firefox "cannot find the server" -- apparently DNS is failing. The block may occur repeatedly for different ports; it sometimes repeats on the same port. The wifi admins are not really available and seem not to know more about wifi than I do, which is very little. They run on AT&T. I use a Broadcomm internal modem.

I don't know what program is launching this air.setup message that ZA is blocking and I don't know what air.setup is for. Could it be iTunes or QuickTime or some other Apple thing not suitable for my Win XP desktop?

Google has been no help. Can anyone here help me out?

Please and thank you . . .

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: wireless: blocked, outgoing, "air.setup"

"Only when using wifi access do I occasionally see that ZA is blocking outgoing messages to 192.168.11.1 (normal wifi DNS address) for Destination DNS air.setup. It never happens on dial-up."

Is the 192.168.11.1 set as Trusted in the Zones along with your own dialup DNS(s) and DHCP servers?

"I think I need to know what the heck this is all about because not long after the block(sometimes right away, sometimes an hour later) firefox "cannot find the server" -- apparently DNS is failing."

If the browser is failing immediately I would suspect a DNS or damain name host lookup failure, But one hour after could suggest a DHCP connection failure.

"The block may occur repeatedly for different ports; it sometimes repeats on the same port. The wifi admins are not really available and seem not to know more about wifi than I do, which is very little. They run on AT&T. I use a Broadcomm internal modem."

The normal DNS outbound connections are the local ports of 1000- 5000 of your PC's IP and the remote port 53, by UDP of the DNS's IP.
    But most often the DNS server will maintain the connection to the PC and occasionally send a keep connection alive type of UDP to the PC. This would be seen as the remote IP (spurce)of the DNS going to the IP of the PC (destination) and coming from remote port 53 to the local ports of the 1000-5000 range.

" don't know what program is launching this air.setup message that ZA is blocking and I don't know what air.setup is for. Could it be iTunes or QuickTime or some other Apple thing not suitable for my Win XP desktop?"

If the air.setup is on your PC, then do a Search for it and see where it is located on the PC. Open the Properties of the file(s) and find out the time/date, vendor, version , etc info about it.

Some how I suspect it is related to the gateway or the provider. Which you probably do not need to install to use a connection.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 02-19-2008 04:37 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

lacewing Guest

Okay, I searched for "air.setup" in file name and/or file contents and got no hits. I should have at least had a hit on ZA's log file, but didn't even get that. Oh, well. Wifi works some of the time as is; guess I'll keep on with the hit-and-miss access and maintain my dial-up account for the rest of the time. It would be nice if I could get the program name from ZA in the log file. I wonder if there's some process tracing program to be had.

Thanks, Oldsod. That was a good idea anyway.

Open the ZA and open the Program list. Right click the air.setup in the list and open the Properties. There will be information.

Open the ZA Logs and Alerts. In the Log Viewer, take a look at the Firewall, Program and OSFirewall lists. You may wish to change the default Show Last value to 999 to increase the number of events.

If there is no entry due in the Log Viewer due to the not being recently events, then open the WINDOWS\Internet Logs folder and examine the ZALog~.txt. The ZALog.txt will have the information.
    The found fwpktlog.txt is the traffic or network log.

Also when using a any LAN network that provides wireless connections, please set the new network as Internet and then add the DHCP and DNS as following.

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Extra help is found at Guru Hoov site for the DNS/DHCP.

Since you use dialup at home, the network should be set also as Internet, but again the individual DNS and DHCP from your provider's network should be added as Trusted.

Cheers, Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

lacewing Guest

Thank you, Oldsod. I'll print this out and use it for further investigation.

air.setup is not a program. In the Alerts and Logs, it is listed under the Destination DNS column for svchost outgoing messages (blocked) addressed to the DNS. With XP's taskbar showing multiple svchost instances, I have no clue which progam is doing it, and none of the processes in the taskbar indicate which program launched them anyway.

Also, I seem to be getting (blocked) incoming messages from my neighbors. Other than these things, wifi works most of the time. Until I know what these messages are for, I'll not let them go through. (ZA "more info" on the web says it could be that someone else is trying to share my files/printer.) If it weren't for the coincidental mega-slowdown of wifi when this failed "air.setup" call occurs, I'd leave it alone.

I wonder if something is operating behind ZA's back. I let iTunes have anything it asked for during installation. I wonder if it's trying to make an iPhone out of my PC! Or, the neighborhood wifi admins are setting things up wrong. It should be like Starbuck's, but they also use it interoffice for their own purposes. Maybe one router and one hotspot is not enough for both their private intranet and their customer internet access.

Your last message gives me a better understanding of how ZA works, however. That's good, good info.

Ok LaceWing. Are you using a wireless at home?
    With a wireless modem or wireless router?

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

lacewing Guest

Internal modem on my win xp desktop: US Robotics 5417. The trailer park where I live has the AT&T DSL account, a main antenna and only one repeater. My signal is usually adequate. Often get 11 mps speed that drops to 5.5 without much problem, and then back up to 11 again, and I don't see that signal or noise are worse than usual, as per the connection monitoring program. We have substandard lines here, no optical fibre network available. No cable available way out in the hinterlands. I think the router is a Buffalo Air Station.

The real glitch is that it drops to 1 mps speed and hangs there forever, which is about a third as fast as dial-up. (signal still adequate) The admins don't/won't/can't publish guidance on how I should set up my software. (the way starbucks does for instance.) I let the modem driver do its own thing to create the connection when installed and after upgrading the driver. I recently turned off "microsoft client" in the properties dialog for the connection. When I did that, ZA stopped reporting that it had to block outgoing messages to other computers. I think I can adjust just about any wireless connection setting with the driver control software, but I won't without knowing why and whether such changes would wreak havoc on my system, of course.

I'm wondering if XP sort of thinks I'm running a private network, but can't remember what I saw to make me wonder that. It may have been the Connection Setup Wizard, or whatever it's called.

(I was a programmer in the very old days. Such jumping through hoops just annoys me now. End user documentation is hard to find. It grinds my gears that ZA gives me so little clue as to what's going on before the error, because I'm guessing with more hooks at load time, the info could be tracked and reported. Might be unfair of me.)

<blockquote><hr>LaceWing wrote:
    Internal modem on my win xp desktop: US Robotics 5417. The trailer park where I live has the AT&T DSL account, a main antenna and only one repeater. My signal is usually adequate. Often get 11 mps speed that drops to 5.5 without much problem, and then back up to 11 again, and I don't see that signal or noise are worse than usual, as per the connection monitoring program. We have substandard lines here, no optical fibre network available. No cable available way out in the hinterlands. I think the router is a Buffalo Air Station.

The real glitch is that it drops to 1 mps speed and hangs there forever, which is about a third as fast as dial-up. (signal still adequate) The admins don't/won't/can't publish guidance on how I should set up my software. (the way starbucks does for instance.) I let the modem driver do its own thing to create the connection when installed and after upgrading the driver. I recently turned off "microsoft client" in the properties dialog for the connection. When I did that, ZA stopped reporting that it had to block outgoing messages to other computers. I think I can adjust just about any wireless connection setting with the driver control software, but I won't without knowing why and whether such changes would wreak havoc on my system, of course.

I'm wondering if XP sort of thinks I'm running a private network, but can't remember what I saw to make me wonder that. It may have been the Connection Setup Wizard, or whatever it's called.

(I was a programmer in the very old days. Such jumping through hoops just annoys me now. End user documentation is hard to find. It grinds my gears that ZA gives me so little clue as to what's going on before the error, because I'm guessing with more hooks at load time, the info could be tracked and reported. Might be unfair of me.)
    <hr></blockquote>
    Ok Now I understand a little better.
    It is possible the air.setup is part of the wireless or part of a server/relay before the wireless.

The only way to find out is note the IP and the ports used by the air.setup.
    This will be in the ZA alerts (set alerts to the High) and in the Logs in the Log Viewer.
    Once we have the exact IP and ports, we can determine a lot and have a possible remedy.

Another concern which you seem to indicate, is the network is open to many and possible mischief. This too can be remedied.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 02-19-2008 11:45 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information