Thread: Cannot delete my history, cookies, or temporary internet files from Internet Explorer 7

Hybrid View

aps Guest

Default Cannot delete my history, cookies, or temporary internet files from Internet Explorer 7

I Cannot delete my history, cookies, or temporary internet files from Internet Explorer 7 unless I shut down Zone Alarm Pro. I did find one possilbe fix on the forum to go to safe mode, Internet Logs, and delete all *.LDB,*.RDB, and *.TMP files. I did this but still cannot delte these files.
    Any one have any ideas?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

watcher Guest

Default Re: Cannot delete my history, cookies, or temporary internet files from Internet Explorer 7

Dear aps:

What error message are you getting(verbatim)? Also, what program permissions do you have for IE7?

There are 3rd-party disk sanitizers that can clean out IE's caches such as CCleaner(free) or Webroot's Window Washer(commercial). The latter cleans out almost 50 predefined locations on your hard drive with a click of a mouse. You can add custom locations and the program can overwrite these locations up to 35 passes making it impossible to recover any data there.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

aps Guest

Default Re: Cannot delete my history, cookies, or temporary internet files from Internet Explorer 7

Dear Watcher, There are not any error messages. When I open up IE, Tools, Internet Options,Delete Files, etc.nothing happens.
    In ZAPro I have Internet Explorer set to Auto. Is this what you mean by settings?

I do have CCCleaner, however I would really like to figure out what setting in ZAPro is causing this. When I shut down ZAPro then everyhting seems to work.

watcher Guest

Dear aps:

These are the program permissions SmartDefense Advisor assigned for IE6, found in Program Control panel, Programs tab:

Trust Level=3 green bars(Super)
    Access-Trusted=green checkmark(Allow)
    Access-Internet=green checkmark(Allow)
    Server-Trusted=green checkmark(Allow)
    Server-Internet=blue question mark(Ask)
    Send Mail=green checkmark(Allow)

I don't think the problem is with ZAPRO. More likely, a problem with IE.

To verify whether IE files are being deleted, check their default locations where cookies and Temporary Internet Files subfolder are found. This would be in C:\Documents and Settings\(user profile)\Cookies and C:\Documents and Settings\(user profile)\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

aps Guest

Dear Watcher, Thanks again. I have all my settings checked as per your advice.Trust Level=3 green bars(Super)
    Server-Trusted=green checkmark(Allow)
    Send Mail=green checkmark(Allow)
    Before I changed these settings my settings were:Trust Level=1 green bars
    Server-Trusted=blue
    question mark(Ask)
    Send Mail=green checkmark(Allow)Deleting my history,cookies, temporary internt files, from IE now appears to be working.

watcher Guest

Dear aps:

Glad it worked. Now that you've changed the permissions, the SmartDefense Advisor will NOT change them back to the permissions it has in the online database that Checkpoint maintains. SmartDefense Advisor is a excellent tool but isn't correct in all its settings for some programs. That's why its a good idea to check the assigned program permissions for a program, especially if that program is malfunctioning. Eventually, Checkpoint's database will be updated for IE7 and no editing of permissions will be necessary.

WATCHER

Thread Information