TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:915051681
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.187.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200701.795
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

I just a few days ago purchases the "3 user" version of the Zone Alarms security Suite.

We have two Windows 2000 SP4 machines,
    They are both Shuttle-X computers, in case that matters..
    I installed
    Zone Alarm on mine
    first.
    Aside from an apparent cash during install, It seemed to work OK, except it
    keeps calling RAdmin a virius.
    When I tell it to "Ignore always" it ignores me, and complains every time it runs a scan.
    Annoying, but I can live with it.
    Then the next day, my husband installed
    Zone Alarm
    on his machine.
    It was very badly behaved.
    zlclient.exe and vsmon.exe were running almost all the time, and consuming 97% -100% of the CPU.
    It he brought up Zone Alarm (clicking on the icon in the lower right of the task bar, it would start to come up and then freeze, and it was impossible to close it or do anything with it.
    With or without Zone Alarm frozen on the screen, EVERYTHING else ran painfully slow, as there was only about 2-3 percent CPU time available.
    He fiddles with it for a couple days, and then gave up and unistalled it.
    This morning, mine started doing the same thing.
    The only way I can get anything else to run (Eudora, Explorer, SpamArrest, Excel, IE, anything) is to close Zone Alarm, and that can take several minutes of locked up keyboard before it actually shuts down.
    We both ran a previous paid version of Zone Alarm a couple years ago on these very machines, with
    very little
    problems (I believe we renewed twice) but then let it expire (not sure why).
    I have done a search on this forum, and only found one reference each to these two files, and one of them seemed unrelated to performance.
    Nevertheless,
    as it is now, we can not use Zone Alarm, and my husband has gone back to AVG and something else for SPAM and SpyWare protection.

I am close to doing the same, since the only way I can use my computer is to disable Zone Alarm
    :-( and I really want it to work.
    Can any one tell me what might be going on.

Thank you,pbibb

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

pbibb Guest

Default Re: zlclient.exe and vsmon.exe consuming all cpu time

My apologies.
    Apparently I was clueless about how to do a search.
    I did it agian, and there are several complaints about vsmon.exe taking too much cpu time.
    And I have reinstalled it several times.
    I actually got a clean error free install the last time I did it, and it seems less happy than it ever was on my machine.
    If
    zlclient.exe is the
    GUI, why is it running when the GUI is Not running?
    Thank youpbibb

neilch Guest

Concerning ZA using too much CPU time.
    I installed version 70.337 on a 2.5 GHZ machine with 512 RAM and it ran fine.
    CPU usage was around 33% down to 7% with variations.
    When I downloaded Version 70.462 I experienced the same problem you did.
    CPU usage pinned at 100% most of the time.
    The machine was unusable.
    I uninstalled 70.462 and reinstalled 70.337.
    Luck was that I had a disc and didn't rely on downloads for version 70.337.
    I just checked my useage and it was 4%.
    Something is terribly wrong with version 70.462.
    I hope it can be fixed because I really like Zone Alarm Products.

demare Guest

I have a similar issue and I too, am running version 7.0.462.
    A slight variation on mine makes it a little more liveable, however.
    Mine only goes into overload periodically;
    often, but not exclusively,
    when I initiate a mail check in Eudora.
    Then vsmon.exe suddenly begins using about 98% of my CPU cycles as reported by Task Manager and Eudora is completely unresponsive.
    Everything else is very sluggish.
    This state usually persists for about 45 seconds to two minutes, after which Eudora comes back to life and everything else begins to respond normally.
    The System Idle Process will then be back to 95% or so in task manager.
    Since it's not continuous, I haven't uninstalled ZoneAlarm yet, but I'm not sure how much longer I'm willing to put up with this nonsense.
    I've had ZoneAlarm Pro for many years and now have switched to the ZA security suite on all my computers.
    Another recent "feature" was that one of the files related to Microsoft Visual Basic was reported as a virus for a month or two even though it was a perfectly, clean, valid file.
    That seems to have been corrected in the latest versions of the virus signatures.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>neilch wrote:
    Concerning ZA using too much CPU time. I installed version 70.337 on a 2.5 GHZ machine with 512 RAM and it ran fine. CPU usage was around 33% down to 7% with variations. When I downloaded Version 70.462 I experienced the same problem you did. CPU usage pinned at 100% most of the time. The machine was unusable. I uninstalled 70.462 and reinstalled 70.337. Luck was that I had a disc and didn't rely on downloads for version 70.337. I just checked my useage and it was 4%. Something is terribly wrong with version 70.462. I hope it can be fixed because I really like Zone Alarm Products.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Do you have any other Security programs installed other than Windows Firewall (Whick ZA turns off Windows Firewall) and Windows Defender?Tips: For first time users of ZoneAlarm - <LI><LI>

1- have you properly un-installed any previous firewall and/or anti-virus?? = this needs to be done - http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154. Most new pc/laptops come with pre-installed security software, which should be properly un-installed prior to installing any ZoneAlarm firewall product. <HR>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<HR>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.</LI>Please Download the Current Update to ZASS 7.0.470.000 for WinXP SP2 /Win2000 SP4..

The latest ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite release is 7.0.470.000. For release histories that apply specifically to products used on the Windows Vista platform, go here.<P class=headblack2><A id=7.0.470.000 name=7.0.470.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 7.0.470.000

Note: these notes also apply to ZoneAlarm Pro, ZoneAlarm AntiVirus and ZoneAlarm (free firewall) when applicable. For example, improvements to anti-spyware do not apply to our AntiVirus product, but do apply to Suite and Pro that both include anti-spyware features.<UL class=body><LI>Usability improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed the issue where in some cases the client would lose settings, causing user to respond to alerts that otherwise would not appear <LI>Prevent unnecessary error dialog to be displayed for non-Admin users <LI>Client can now be started in safe mode (with networking only) for antivirus scan and removal </LI>[/list]<LI>Compatibility improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Enable content filtering and privacy when ForceField is active <LI>Fixed the Spy Doctor Gate to only gate for 5.0 and earlier <LI>Free ZoneAlarm firewall and ZoneAlarm Pro can now co-exist with Kaspersky AV </LI>[/list]<LI>Various other stability and performance improvements </LI>[/list]<P class=headblack2><A id=7.0.462.000 name=7.0.462.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 7.0.462.000<UL class=body><LI>Performance improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Improved system boot time <LI>Included a new anti-spyware engine <LI>Fixed problems with AV on dual-core and hyper-threaded machines. </LI>[/list]<LI>Stability improvements in anti-virus: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed occasional hangs in advanced dialog window <LI>Fixed occasional hangs during scan <LI>Fixed occasional hangs in after repair of archive (or similar) on CD. </LI>[/list]<LI>Additional Stability improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed occasional crashes in vsmon <LI>Fixed occasional hangs during shutdown <LI>Fixed occasional hangs in UpdClient. <LI>Fixed various install and upgrade issues <LI>Fixed window activation issue associated with automatic updates <LI>Compatibility: Fixed compatibility issue with Intuit Software </LI>[/list]<LI>Anti-virus improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed anti-virus signature versions not showing, <LI>Don't reschedule AV updates after initial update completes </LI>[/list]<LI>Anti-spyware improvements: <UL class=body><LI>New anti-spyware engine <LI>Fixed issue where AS updates reported the client up to date when the client had no internet access </LI>[/list]<LI>Ease-of-use improvements: <UL class=body><LI>New: Added Automatic Network Configuration to Wizard (will automatically add Domain Controller, DNS, DHCP, Network Printers and, mapped network drives to trusted zone) <LI>Changed update frequency default to every 3 hours </LI>[/list]<LI>Customization improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Made AV/AS update frequency configurable <LI>Added Global Reset-to-Default feature (invoked via Ctrl+Shift+right click on ZA icon in system tray). <LI>Various other fixes and improvements </LI>[/list]</LI>[/list]http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html
    Before Installing the New Upgrade, Go into ZA Main Menu Overview/Preferences and Un-Check "Load ZASS on Startup"the Reboot Computer and Click on the New ZASS Install file..I recomend Clean Install over Upgrade Install..Accept the defailt Setting and Auto-Learn Mode andTurn on Anti-Virus..When Asked about WhatZone to be in Select Trusted Zone and not Internet Zone..Please Report back with your progress Report..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite Beta version:7.0.470.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.470.000
    Driver version:7.0.470.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:947402926
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200803.3535
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security