Thread: ZA refuses to allow me to VPN OUT !!!

markiesa Guest

Default ZA refuses to allow me to VPN OUT !!!

Hi all,

ZA is driving me up the wall, it simply refuses to allow me to VPN out from my Home PC running windows Vista Ultimate (and no it's not Vista causing the problem, I will explain later).
    When I turn my wife's laptop on (she's not running ZA) it does VPN out to the location I'm trying to connect to.
    I uninstalled ZA completely today from my Vista machine, rebooted and low and behold I could VPN out, categorically it's ZA that is causing the problem.
    Before I explain any further, yes I have ticked the box "Allow VPN Protocols", out of frustration I've also ticked "Allow uncommon protocols at high security".
    This is what I've done to try and make it work with no success:-
    Turn off ZA.
    Disable ZA Firewall.
    Added my Work public and private ip address's to the trusted zone.
    Created a Expert rule to allow all traffic outbound to my office's public IP address.
    In the Internet zone and Trusted Zone I've simply ticked allow all out now, i.e. DNS, ICMP etc.
    I've added TCP port 1723 allowed out

Each of the above mentioned was a separate step on it's own, i.e. first
    turn off ZA, try VPN, fails, turn ZA on again and turn of the ZA firewall, try VPN, still fails.
    When I first uninstalled ZA today and tried to connect the only thing I could see in the logs was:-
    Medium, Date, Firewall, ICMP (type:3/subtype:2) program = nothing, source is my IP source, destination is my Public ip address of the VPN gateway, Direction outgoing, action taken = BLOCKED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh this sounds easy to fix, allow ICMP out, nope that didn't fix it, now it logs Action Taken "Allowed"
    One thing that is highly noticeable is that I open up ZA to view the little Internet traffic monitor and as I click connect to my VPN the little red graph goes mad however nothing is logged, all I see in the logs is allowed ICMP outbound to the public address.
    Another
    thing I've noticed is that in the help file it says when you connect to a VPN ZA will popup and ask you how would you like ZA to configure the VPN for you, with a fresh install of ZA I am yet to see this pop.
    PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!
    This is my version of ZA:-Zone Alarm Security Suite version:-
    7.1.248.000True Vector security engine version:- 7.1.248.000Driver Version 7.1.248.000

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Ultimate
    Software Version:
    7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by MarkieSA on 03-09-2008 01:21 PM

Default Re: ZA refuses to allow me to VPN OUT !!!

If your having a problem with VPN, Try this:I would suggest you review the detailed information given here that refers back to the manual:http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...55646/VPN.htmlYou should also be aware that Cisco based VPN use ZA technology (mini firewall) in their main VPN.So, you need to install VPN software after having installed ZASS and not before.The procedure would be: uninstall VPN, install ZASS, install back VPN and ZA should recognise your VPN..For any futher issue I would reccomend you contact ZA technical support: www.zonelabs.com/tsform
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

markiesa Guest

I don't have any 3rd party VPN application installed, it's the Microsoft built in VPN client.Just to prove this theory wrong I did uninstall ZASS completely then re created my VPN connection through Windows, and it doesn't work however your article is pertinent to 3rd party applications.
    Thanks for your help and suggestions anyways.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>MarkieSA wrote:
    I don't have any 3rd party VPN application installed, it's the Microsoft built in VPN client.Just to prove this theory wrong I did uninstall ZASS completely then re created my VPN connection through Windows, and it doesn't work however your article is pertinent to 3rd party applications.
    Thanks for your help and suggestions anyways.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Thanks for your Feedback..Sorry I don't have a solution for you, youcan contact ZA tech support Directly for Free

<A href="http://www.zonealarm.com/tsform" target=_blank>www.zonealarm.com/tsformPlease Post Back with your progress report..

Message Edited by GeorgeV on 03-09-2008 08:37 PM
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

laughingjohn Guest

Markie,

I have the same problem and have reported it - suggest you do the same. I found that setting the internet zone on the firewall to medium security allowed me to connect. Not ideal, but at least a work around and not such an issue if you are sitting behind a router with a firewall built in.

LJ.

laughingjohn Guest

Markie I just tried a suggestion from my own post and added the VPN server address to the trusted zone and this has sorted the problem for me. Go to the zones page and click the add button and then type the url or IP address.

Good luck.
    LJ

Thread Information