Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cannot access ZoneAlarm Pro client from system tray or directly

murraye Guest

Default cannot access ZoneAlarm Pro client from system tray or directly

Suddenly today I cannot get to the Zone Alarm Pro program from the system tray notification area or by trying to restart zlclient.exe. This is on a Windows XP Pro SP2 + all Windows updates.

The TrueVector Service vsmon.exe is running -- and taking on the order of 35% - 50% of CPU time! And zlclient.exe is running, but there's no icon for it in the system tray notification area. so I cannot get to the program's interface.

If I kill zlclient.exe and then restart it, the same thing continues to happen.

I even tried using Task Manager to kill vsmon.exe and zlclient.exe, and then restarted zlclient.exe, which in turn restarts vsmon.exe. Still, no Zone Alarm Pro accessible from the system tray (and hence not accessible to me as administrator user).

I tried rebooting, but this did not fix things.

Help!

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: cannot access ZoneAlarm Pro client from system tray or directly

In XP: > 'right click' on any open space of system tray bar, >
    Properties, &gt; Taskbar, &gt; Customize..., &gt; make sure Zonealarm... &quot;is 'Always show' in the Current Items section, &gt; Apply, &gt; OK. Restart.<hr>Alternative to open ZA if tray icon does not appear: lower left 'Start', &gt; All Programs, find ZA and right click &gt; open.<hr>Another alternative: use a &quot;desktop ZA icon&quot; (which you can put on you left side or actually anywhere on your screen) and once you have that up you also 'add' a
    &quot;Pin to Start menu&quot; ZA
    icon to the 'Start' on lower left. So you will always find a way to open ZA.<hr><hr>Question: have you recently updated ZA? do you have two instances of 'zlclient' in task manager? I would suggest 'you not kill vsmon nor zlclient' in task manager to fix problems - there are other ways.

murraye Guest

<blockquote><hr>NaiveMelody wrote:
    In XP: &gt; 'right click' on any open space of system tray bar, &gt; Properties, &gt; Taskbar, &gt; Customize..., &gt; make sure Zonealarm... &quot;is 'Always show' in the Current Items section, &gt; Apply, &gt; OK. Restart.<hr>Alternative to open ZA if tray icon does not appear: lower left 'Start', &gt; All Programs, find ZA and right click &gt; open.<hr>Another alternative: use a &quot;desktop ZA icon&quot; (which you can put on you left side or actually anywhere on your screen) and once you have that up you also 'add' a &quot;Pin to Start menu&quot; ZA icon to the 'Start' on lower left. So you will always find a way to open ZA.<hr><hr>Question: have you recently updated ZA? do you have two instances of 'zlclient' in task manager? I would suggest 'you not kill vsmon nor zlclient' in task manager to fix problems - there are other ways.
    <hr></blockquote>
    I am not a newbie, and and none of your suggestions work:

First, there are no customizations of system tray items whatsoever -- the Taskbar's &quot;Hide inactive icons&quot; is unchecked. But if I now check that and look at the Current Items, ZA is not even listed!

Second, as I believe I said in my original po
    st, I DID try running ZA from the start menu -- the item being &quot;Zone Alarm Security&quot; -- and I still see NOTHING! I even went directly to the ZA program directory itself and tried directly executing zlclient.exe; nothng seemed to happen. I even tried executing what I believe may just be a stub, zonealarm.exe, and still nothing happens.

So putting a shortcut to ZA on the desktop is hardly going to accomplish anything, is it?

Windows Task Manager shows both vsmon.exe and zlclient.exe as running processes, and Zone Alarm as a running Application. Yet I cannot get user access to the program!

The version of zlclient.exe is 7.0.462.0, dated 14 November 2007.

murraye Guest

<blockquote><hr>NaiveMelody wrote:
    <hr><hr>Question: have you recently updated ZA? do you have two instances of 'zlclient' in task manager? I would suggest 'you not kill vsmon nor zlclient' in task manager to fix problems - there are other ways.
    <hr></blockquote>

I forgot to answer that question: No, I do not have two copies of zlclient in Task Manager, just one (and one of vsmon.exe). I don't recall any recent update -- I gave the version in my previous response.

Could some other start-up program be causing this, e.g., some change with an update to the Norton Antivirus PROGRAM?

Hi!
    something wrong happen with the ZA settings governing the good functioning of ZA.
    Try to reset them and do not restore previous backups.

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

If the above fails you may need to remove completely ZA with the /clean switch and reinstall

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

murraye Guest

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:
    Hi!
    something wrong happen with the ZA settings governing the good functioning of ZA.
    Try to reset them and do not restore previous backups.

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

If the above fails you may need to remove completely ZA with the /clean switch and reinstall

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Fax
    <hr></blockquote>

There is NO ZoneAlarm icon near the clock -- that's the trouble I reported from the beginning of this thread!

Ok then, that does stand to reason. Instead, try do the ZA database reset procedure this way:
    [*]Boot your computer into the Safe Mode[*]Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder[*]Delete the backup.rdb, iamdb.rdb, *.ldb and the tvDebug files in the folder[*]Clean the Recycle Bin[*]Reboot into the normal mode[*]ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

Lets see if this gets fixed.
    Best regards, Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

sanpaff Guest

Hello !
    I think my ZA PRO 7.0.462.000 data base it's corrupted (when I works in Program Control Settings) the program not respond anymore.
    So I want to follow the istructions you give in this thread.

I have a question:
    when you told:
    &quot;ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data&quot;

if I make a backup in a XML file and after the delete of files in the c:\windows\internet logs folder I restore the file .xml may I retrieve my settings ?
    Thank you for your support !!

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>sanpaff wrote:
    Hello !
    I think my ZA PRO 7.0.462.000 data base it's corrupted (when I works in Program Control Settings) the program not respond anymore.
    So I want to follow the istructions you give in this thread.

I have a question:
    when you told:
    "ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data"

if I make a backup in a XML file and after the delete of files in the c:\windows\internet logs folder I restore the file .xml may I retrieve my settings ?
    Thank you for your support !!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    You have a question:
    whenwe told You:
    "ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data"That is the Purpose of Resetting your Database when It gets Corrupted..If you Reset the Database then Restore your old Setting, you risk restoring some of the Corrupted Files?
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

sanpaff Guest

Thank you GeorgeV for your reply,
    but I am always in doubt.
    My question is:
    the file xml that i produce with the function overview&gt;preference&gt;backup what does contain ?
    Because i would like to reset the data base but retrieve my informations like firewall zones (ip address).
    Thank you for your support.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information