Thread: Unable to correctly install my new and first time purchase of ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 2008

jweller Guest

Default Unable to correctly install my new and first time purchase of ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 2008

So far have spend about 2 hours trying unsuccessfully
    to get a correct install of Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite 2008 install.
    So many problems...where to start. sigh
    Insert the CD and the screen says to download updates BEFORE installing.
    The link directs be to Zone's advert site asking me to purchase the software.
    Sigh =/.
    So I decide to ignore this and just proceed with the install.
    All's well until...2.
    "invalid license key".
    I type in the stupid license key 20 times, with hypens, without hyphens, caps, lowercase, no success.
    I they figure try signing out of the administrator-equivelent account I'm in and log in as THE Administrator account, tada license key success.3.
    I start getting that Red Windows shield icon in the system tray saying virus protection is turned off.
    I can't make it go away and Zone alarm doesn't give me any clues as what to do.
    I guess I'll have to live with it.4.
    I then go to the zone alarm's preferences/update screen to do a zone alarm update.
    The update box pops up saying it is connecting to the update site, but after 15 minutes, nothing.
    Sigh =/.
    So I cancel and manually go to the zone alarm site and after a very confusing tech support webpage journey I finally find the latest update and download it.
    I run it and get an error saying that it can't shutdown the True Vector service and that I should manuall shutdown any other true vector services.
    True Vector? how the **bleep** do I know what that means.
    I finally figure out to go to the Admin Tools Services utility and, ah, there is the true vector server.
    But, it is already "stopped" so I can't turn it off. Sigh, another dead end =/5.
    So I go the the tech support website dungeon and use the "instant support" option and digging down into the true vector help it says I should uninstall zone alarm, sigh, oh god
    >:|.
    So this is where I sit.
    I'm going to try another install and keep my fingers crossed.
    I will never purchase Zone Alarm again.
    I am so frustrated and unhappy right now with this garbage-ware.

I decided to not get McAfee this time and try Zone Alarm for the first time.
    This experience has showed me WHOA! how big a mistake that was.
    After just spending $49 I might just have to toss it in the garbage if this next install attempt doesn't work.
    Fry's electronics doesn't take software returns, only exchange for the same software.
    I switched out of McAfee this year because
    it has
    a horrible record for virus detection.
    I has never detected anything on any computer I've ever used it on.
    Very disappointed.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Unable to correctly install my new ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 2008

Let's try this: un-install whatever ZA you have now is an 'in-complete, probably corrupted install' and then we will have to properly re-install ZA.<hr>1 - first un-install ZA - click here and follow &gt; http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...tallNonNT.html&gt; [on your current ZA &gt; go to &quot;Overview&quot; &gt; Preferences &gt; General - &quot;uncheck the box for&quot; = 'Load ZoneAlarm at startup' &gt; click once, wait - it may take a few minutes for it to register, but it will clear the box. Restart/ reboot. = this clears the true vector issue you have.]
    <hr>2 - if you had McAfee security software - it is urgent for you to use the McAfee Removal Tool - to properly remove all McAfee (the Windows Add/ Remove - not good enough)Tips: For first time users of ZoneAlarm - [*][*]

1- have you properly un-installed any previous firewall and/or anti-virus?? = this needs to be done - click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154
    . Most new pc/laptops come with pre-installed security software, which should be properly un-installed prior to installing any ZoneAlarm firewall product. [ SuperTip: if you have used any free trial/ pre-installed
    security software &gt; please be sure to cancel your account -
    see/ click here &gt; http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...l?tk=nl_coxcol
    ][*]Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<hr>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<hr>3 - read thru this &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73645
    = follow guidelines and tips.
    [*]

instead of using the CD-Rom go directly to the latest version by going to ZA website - download 7.0.470 ZA Suite and enter the key. Don't use the CD-Rom. Use link provided in ^ above link. Enter key.
    http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...d=17403#M27205
    .<hr>:8}NaiveMelody NYC 3-22-08 - All You Wanted - Michelle Branch

<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 03-23-2008 07:05 PM<ul>[/list]

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 03-23-2008 07:05 PM[/list]

Thread Information