Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memory Leak in Vsmon Zone Alarm v. 7?

kotjinx Guest

Default Memory Leak in Vsmon Zone Alarm v. 7?

Vsmon's memory usage (as indicated by Window's task manager) continually increases. After reboot, it starts at around 35MB. But then, pretty much every time task manager updates its info (every 1sec?), mem usage increases (usually by 4 -8kb / tick).

Seems like nothing but this slow trickle has led vsmon to use well in excess of 600MB of memory many times in the past.

Anybody experienced similar behavior? Any suggestions on how this can be fixed (other than occasionally rebooting the computer)?

Thanks in advance
    Pawel

ps. I am currently using ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 7.0.462.000.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Memory Leak in Vsmon Zone Alarm v. 7?

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>kotjinx wrote:
    Vsmon's memory usage (as indicated by Window's task manager) continually increases. After reboot, it starts at around 35MB. But then, pretty much every time task manager updates its info (every 1sec?), mem usage increases (usually by 4 -8kb / tick).

Seems like nothing but this slow trickle has led vsmon to use well in excess of 600MB of memory many times in the past.

Anybody experienced similar behavior? Any suggestions on how this can be fixed (other than occasionally rebooting the computer)?

Thanks in advance
    Pawel

ps. I am currently using ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 7.0.462.000.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hmmm.. This sounds like something that needs to be reported Directly to ZoneAlarm tech Support.. as a ZASS User you can Contact them for Free at www.zonealarm.com/tsformPlease provide as much detail and error messages etc. that you see on your ComputerMonitor..2.) have you tried the New ZASS Update 7.0.470.000 English update?
    7.0.470.000 was released to the public on March 20, 2008. For changes in this version, click here. To download this version, click here.

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html<P class=headblack2><A id=7.0.470.000 name=7.0.470.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 7.0.470.000

Note: these notes also apply to ZoneAlarm Pro, ZoneAlarm AntiVirus and ZoneAlarm (free firewall) when applicable. For example, improvements to anti-spyware do not apply to our AntiVirus product, but do apply to Suite and Pro that both include anti-spyware features.<UL class=body><LI>Usability improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed the issue where in some cases the client would lose settings, causing user to respond to alerts that otherwise would not appear <LI>Prevent unnecessary error dialog to be displayed for non-Admin users <LI>Client can now be started in safe mode (with networking only) for antivirus scan and removal </LI>[/list]<LI>Compatibility improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Enable content filtering and privacy when ForceField is active <LI>Fixed the Spy Doctor Gate to only gate for 5.0 and earlier <LI>Free ZoneAlarm firewall and ZoneAlarm Pro can now co-exist with Kaspersky AV </LI>[/list]<LI>Various other stability and performance improvements </LI>[/list]--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite Beta version:7.0.470.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.470.000
    Driver version:7.0.470.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:947345191
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200803.3535
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

kotjinx Guest

Hi GeorgeV,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try updating to the newer version (not sure why this didn't happen automatically, but will do it manually) and will contact tech support if the problem persists. Will post the results here.

Pawel

ps. I've noticed that vsmon stops increasing in size as soon as I disable my wireless network card/connection which I normally use to access the internet. So, I guess I could just keep it on, when I really need to use the internet. Hardly a satisfactory, long-run solution though ;-)

kotjinx Guest

Just checked - the update solves nothing. Will contact tech support.

Pawel

kotjinx Guest

Followed the advice from Zone Alarm's support team and managed to solve the problem.The advice was: use msconfig (from Start-&gt; run -&gt; MsConfig.exe) to disable all non-microsoft and non Zone Alarm applications being loaded at startup. Reboot and check if the problem persists. It didn't in my case. Then start selectively allowing those apps you need. I did and the problem didn't reappear (touch wood).
    The only two applications which I had loading
    @ startup and now don't were acrotray.exe and apdproxy.exe - both of which are apparently legit Adobe programs (and neither of which cause problems on other computers).
    The only explanation I can think of is that this has something to do with Acrobat's updater being corrupt on my PC (this has happened a couple of months back and causes all updates to fail). Perhaps other bits of the Adobe package (I have the master collection installed) have gone corrupt as well and were causing this rather unexpected interaction with vsmon. Ah well, might have to reinstall Adobe in the future.
    Hope this is of some use &amp; thanks for the help (I guess the thread is ready to be closed).Pawel

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>kotjinx wrote:
    Followed the advice from Zone Alarm's support team and managed to solve the problem.The advice was: use msconfig (from Start-&gt; run -&gt; MsConfig.exe) to disable all non-microsoft and non Zone Alarm applications being loaded at startup. Reboot and check if the problem persists. It didn't in my case. Then start selectively allowing those apps you need. I did and the problem didn't reappear (touch wood).The only two applications which I had loading@ startup and now don't were acrotray.exe and apdproxy.exe - both of which are apparently legit Adobe programs (and neither of which cause problems on other computers).The only explanation I can think of is that this has something to do with Acrobat's updater being corrupt on my PC (this has happened a couple of months back and causes all updates to fail). Perhaps other bits of the Adobe package (I have the master collection installed) have gone corrupt as well and were causing this rather unexpected interaction with vsmon. Ah well, might have to reinstall Adobe in the future.Hope this is of some use &amp; thanks for the help (I guess the thread is ready to be closed).Pawel
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for your Feedback to this user forum..Please send a followup Report with your New details about Adobe to Zone Alarm tech Support so they can add that yo their To-do list of things to check for..www.zonealarm.com/tsformThank you..
    GeorgeV

a_m Guest

I have a similar problem, requiring me to stop and restart ZA every couple of days, or it will eventually consume all available physical and virtual memory.

Working with tech support proved fruitless, since I already know that the &quot;cause&quot; of the problem is the (large) amount of internet activity present on this machine (I have 20-30 connections per minute to various services). Disabling those activities clearly solves the problem, but that is clearly not a useful solution.

Here's the strange part - I was one of the first to apply the MS DNS patch and have ZA fail yesterday morning, and reduced my Internet Zone security to Medium as a fix. At the moment, vsmon is using only 15Mb of memory (VM of 27Mb), despite not having been restarted in over 24 hours. I therefore suspect that either the leak occurs only under the &quot;High&quot; security setting only, or one of the MS patches fixed the problem.

I should be able to confirm which it is after installing the new 483 version tonight and switching back to High.

installing the new 483 versionThis Morning and switching back to High. Works Fine for me..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.483.000

TrueVector version:7.0.483.000
    Driver version:7.0.483.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:954885423
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200807.4235
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV

a_m Guest

<blockquote><hr>A_M wrote:
    ...Here's the strange part - I was one of the first to apply the MS DNS patch and have ZA fail yesterday morning, and reduced my Internet Zone security to Medium as a fix. At the moment, vsmon is using only 15Mb of memory (VM of 27Mb), despite not having been restarted in over 24 hours. I therefore suspect that either the leak occurs only under the &quot;High&quot; security setting only, or one of the MS patches fixed the problem.

I should be able to confirm which it is after installing the new 483 version tonight and switching back to High.
    <hr></blockquote>

Unfortunately, after installing 483, Medium security no longer solves the memory leak problem.
    The good news, though, is that I isolated the leak specifically to FTP uploads. In short, every upload of a file of more than trivial size results in vsmon allocating about 10-20% more memory than the size of the file (up to 128K) and then free-ing only half that amount after the upload. So, every time you use FTP.EXE to PUT a 110KB file, VSMON.EXE grows by 128K and then shrinks by 64K after finishing, resulting in a net growth of 64K. This continues until ZA is restarted.

Additionally, I found that, the first time you check for virus/spyware updates after starting ZA, it will grow by about 65MB permanently (until a restart).
    This has all been reported to ZA. We'll see if they work on it now.

a_m Guest

What do you mean? Did you have the memory leak problem and did 483 solve it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information