Thread: Performance problems with Zone Alarm

jcarmichael Guest

Default Performance problems with Zone Alarm

Hello,

I'm running ZoneAlarm Anti-virus version 7.0.40.000 on Windows XP operating system. ZoneAlarm is dramatically slowing the performance of my computer unless I run my utilities program and correct miscellaneous registry and program errors first. I've cleared over 50% of my hard drive space, defraged my HD and cross checked any competing programs. The ZoneAlarm program is the culprit. This is a relatively recent problem...I've run ZoneAlarms Anti-virus for the last four years with out significant problems.

Any suggestions?

john

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus

Default Re: Performance problems with Zone Alarm

Did a system file check and a complete disk check?
    Cheers.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

jcarmichael Guest

Yes. The OS, hardware and programs (with the exception of ZoneAlarm) are running fine.

Analysis of the registry regularly reports problems related to ZoneAlarm such as, but not limited to:

ZAMailSafe(*zme);HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ZAMailSafe\Defa ultIcon points to missing icon.[note after "*" a variety of files are noted; 53 on last analysis].

It appears ZoneAlarm is not loading properly and hanging up normal processes. When ZoneAlarm is shutdown the computer and all programs function normally. ZoneAlarm will only function properly once I run my utility program analyzing the registry for invalid references and missing program files needed by applications.

Thanks for the interest.

john

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ZAMailSafe\DefaultIcon registry key is not of any importance. If it is deleted, the ZA will always create a new key upon windows bootup or restart. It is not the source of the problem or the issue.

What was used for security before the ZA was installed and was this properly uninstalled and cleaned up are important. Such as the previous firewll and antivirus solution.
    And what else is running along side of the ZA for security at the present moment? Please list.

Try a database reset and see if that helps to fix the problem:
    [*]Boot your computer into the Safe Mode[*]Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder[*]Delete the backup.rdb, iamdb.rdb, *.ldb and the tvDebug files in the folder[*]Clean the Recycle Bin[*]Reboot into the normal mode[*]ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

Cheers.
    Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-05-2008 01:30 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

frankmobs Guest

Well I have the same problem with Zonealarm Pro since 7.0.470 now.I used Zonealarm Pro as Firewall and **bleep** 10 AV for 2 years and hadno problems. But since 7.0.470 Zonealarm slows down my system.If I deinstall Zonealarm according the guideline from zonelabs the systemruns properly and with good performance.But if I change something in the system, e.g. installing updates from microsoftthis slowing down starts again.Even worse zonealarm lost its configuration after a while.

beep 10AV has firewalling features and this will interfere with any software firewall. beep 10 AV is good, but they want you to but the entire suite. With beep, it is all or nothing.

Disable all of the firewalling/site blocking/cookie filters/etc in beep and then reset the ZA database and reboot. Once the conflicts from beep are gone the ZA will finally be able to work properly and do it's job.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

frankmobs Guest

No, everything but Antivirus is disabled. So that's not the reason for this
    behaviour of zonealarm. After a clean installation zonealarm works well for
    a while and then it slows down XP extremly. I have the speculation it happens
    when you install new programms.
    And beside of slowing down the system zonealarm lost its configuration so you
    have to learn everything new ??

Even though the extra features are disabled in the antivirus, the drivers and files still installed.These still can cause issues.

If the ZA lost it's configurations, then the there are other things besides application conflicts to be concerned about. It was a hard shutdown (hard manaul turn off) or a windows mini crash (do a system file check) or hardware issues (do a disk check or maybe the hdd is failing) or even perhaps a bad memory card.

Actually I would recommend to skip the latest ZA free v7's and go back to the ZA free 6.5 It does not have the hidden ZAISS installer driver/files and it more or less based on the ZA Pro.
    Download from here

Do a " /clean" uninstall in the safe mode:

- Click on Start -> Programs -> Zone Labs
    - RIGHT-click on Uninstall ZoneAlarm, then select Properties
    - Under Target you will see the following line (the actual drive may
    be different on your system):

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe"

Change it to:

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean

(first add a space and then type in the /clean)

Use the Apply and OK in that window.

Then startup in the Safe ModeNow the Zone Alarm is completely off and none of it's driver have not been started.

-Open to the Uninstall ZoneAlarm in the Zone Labs of the All Programs
    - Click OK to run the uninstaller, and OK any security alerts that
    pop up.
    - say "Yes when being prompted for the removal of all files.
    - Reboot
    - manually remove the files found inside of these folders:
    [*]WINDOWS\ Internet Logs[*]Program Files\Zone Labs[*]WINDOWS\system32\ Zonelabs[*]</Windows\Temp folder[*] and the Temp folders found in the Document and Settings

- reboot

- download the latest version from here. Please do not use any web accelerators or download managers! to download the ZA installer. These will corrupt the ZA installer!

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-08-2008 08:52 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information