Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Option to "Uninstall" programs lost from Programs&Features after installing ZA 7.1.248

Default Re: Option to "Uninstall" programs lost from Programs after installing ZA 7.1.248

OK, after kicking it around a bit, I am going to suggest a reinstall. But we are going to do it a bit different than you may have done previously.

First reformat your hardrive, in fact If you have just one partition on your harddrive, I am going to suggest doing and FDISK the drive and partition it into 2 sections. One is for all the software you install, and the other is for all of your data. If you do this, you can even make your e-mail client, and other software look to the data section for their files. I have been doing this since Windows 95, and it makes the reinstallation, or upgrade of the OS real easy, as well as backing up your data to a CD or DVD.

Either way, once you get the HD formatted, install the OS, then do a windows update right away. Once that is done, then create a restore point. Next install your firewall and Virus scanner, make sure they are updated, and create a restore point. Next install Windows Office, and update it, then create a restore point. Continue this until everything is installed.

After each time you do a restore point, then reboot the computer, and then look into the uninstall page (the one you did a screen pic of) and see if all the data is still there. If the data disappears, then you will know for sure what is causing the problem, and you will have a good restore point to go back to.

You mentioned a problem with installing Firefox, there appears to be a known issue with TalkBack (add-in)/Thinkvantage Password Manager (take a look at this.

Sorry I could not come up with an better way to fix your problem. This is the best way to find out what exactly is at fault and at the same time give you someway to go back without having to reinstall everything.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

riceorony Guest

Default Re: Option to "Uninstall" programs lost from Programs after installing ZA 7.1.248

Thanks a million for the help Hoov!
    If I just put up with my computer to reformat in the summer, do you think that will be ok?
    Everything runs fine, and I will most definitely do the restore points on the next format (in June), but do you think I can do nothing till then?
    I've done scans with bit-defender, ZA internet security, pandasecurity, counterspy v2, hijack this, superantispyware, and avg antispyware (nothing comes up).
    You don't think it is a virus/trojan/spyware related right?

if everything works normal, then I would just let it go. Make sure you keep your virus scanners and malware scanners updated.

You could try running Panda's ActiveScan and perform a full system scan.
    - Once you are on the Panda site click the "Scan your PC" button
    - A new window will open...click the big "Check Now" button
    - Enter your Country
    - Enter your State/Province
    - Enter your e-mail address and click send
    - Select either Home User or Company
    - Click the big Scan Now button
    - If it wants to install an ActiveX component allow it
    - It will start downloading the files it requires for the scan (Note: It will take a couple minutes)
    - Click on "Local Disks" to start the scan

The other thing you can do is download and run RootkitRevealer
    Unzip it to your desktop.
    Open the rootkitrevealer folder and double-click rootkitrevealer.exe
    Click the Scan button (bottom right)
    It may take a while to scan (don't do anything while it's running)
    When it's done, go up to File > Save. Choose to save it to your desktop.
    Open rootkitrevealer.txt on your desktop and copy the entire contents and paste them here.

NOTE: Before performing a scan it is recommended to do the following.
    Physically unplug the cable from the PC to the internet connection.
    Close down All Scheduling/Updating + Running Background tasks etc.
    Launch and run the program.
    While it is scanning DO NOT use your computer at ALL until the scan has been completed.
    Save your Log File, and then Enable those things you closed down, or Reboot, and ONLY then Reconnect to the Internet.
    This will ensure you have a simpler and clearer log file to analyze.

You could also try a repair of Vista, I can give you a link to those procedures, but to be totally honest my experience with doing a repair of windows has been less than stellar. You say you are not having problems, so other than maybe running the scans, I would just let it go as is.

riceorony Guest

Happy sunday Hoov,

I did a scan with pandasecurity, all clear except cookies.

RootKitRevealer really stinks on my computer by showing 110,000+ incidences (every single file on my computer is listed as "Visible in Windows API, but not in MFT....&quot

tried scans 3 times, turning off counterspy v2 and ZAIS and disconnecting from the internet while doing it.

I used Blacklight rootkit revealer by F-secure and it comes up clean.

I would say you are clean then. Wait till you can, then do the reinstall.

riceorony Guest

Thanks for your help and having patience with me, much appreciated!

You are welcome!

riceorony Guest

After zeroing the HDrive and reinstalling the OS, all is clear and normal after installing all updates, etc. I created 2 system restore points just in case (right after installing windows updates, and then after installing ZAISS)

So that is a very peculiar incident... but oh well at least it's fixed.

Thanks again Hoov and OldSod!!! :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information