Thread: Since ZA update to 7.0.470.000 Norton Protection Centre reports no firewall active

gdefina Guest

Default Since ZA update to 7.0.470.000 Norton Protection Centre reports no firewall active

Since ZA updated to 7.0.470.000 my Norton Anti-Virus v15.0.0.58 no longer recognises ZA as a valid firewall.It was working fine before.I've tried uninstalling Norton and reinstalling, but that didn't fix things.I've tried re-enabling windows firewall and allowing ZA to disable the firewall, and that has Norton start ok, but then report that I've turned off my firewall.
    Any suggestions on how to get Norton to recognise this new update without throwing away Norton or Zonealarm.
    Norton's support desk tell me to disable Zonealarm and use Windows firewall.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

drobison Guest

Default Re: Since ZA update to 7.0.470.000 Norton Protection Centre reports no firewall active

I had a similar problem after reinstalling ZoneAlarm ISS 7.0.337.000, except that it was Windows XP Security Center showing no ZA firewall or virus protection running (even though they were). I found that the "Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions" service was stopped. After manually starting it, the Security Center saw both the firewall and virus protection (no reboot required). I just did this tonight and haven't rebooted. If this really fixes the problem, I'll change the service to start automatically on boot-up.
    Perhaps you already know this, but you can see Windows XP's services by opening the Control Panel, double-clicking "Administrative Tools", and double-clicking "Services". You can start or stop a service by right-clicking it and selecting the desired option.

gdefina Guest

Default Re: Since ZA update to 7.0.470.000 Norton Protection Centre reports no firewall active

Thanks for that.After several reboots (without starting the service you mentioned, which is stopped and manual on my system also) Norton Protection centre is now happy with ZoneAlarm. I did re-enable the Windows Firewall and let Zonealarm turn it off on startup (as described in another thread in the zonealarm forum).

bkollar Guest

I am having the same problem with Norton not recognizing the firewall "ON" in ZoneAlarm.
    However, Windows security does reflect that there is a firewall on.
    I tried turning of the ZoneAlarm firewall but the Norton RED FLAG is still there.
    Is the next step removing ZoneAlarm?

drobison Guest

Glad your system is working. After rebooting my system, the service I mentioned earlier is off (as expected since I didn't set it for automatic startup). The good news is that the Security Center continues to recognize ZoneAlarm. So I guess what I did was just another shot in the dark that caused something to change that fixed the problem.

alangloi Guest

Another shot in the dark solution:
    Verify that the "Load auto-protect during system start-up" option is checked.
    If you hit the page default button (or by default) this option
    is un-checked.
    By: start Nortons
    Protection Centerclick Options (on the bottom left side)select Nortons Antivirusclick Real Time ProtectionSelect Auto Protectmake sure the Load auto-protect box during system start-up is checkedclick Apply or OKreboot
    worked on my XP SP3 and free ZoneAlarm 7.0.473.000 that has had the Advanced Firewall Not Active falsely indicated by Norton 2008

Thread Information