Thread: newbie help

mi_k Guest

Default newbie help

Hi,I have a dell M4300 laptop running WinXPsp2.
    ZoneAlarm version:7.0.462.000
    When my computer comes out of standby/sleep ZA blocks my connection to the internet.
    I use a wireless connection to a switch, then router, than DSL modem.When I come out of standby, the computer shows a good connection strength.
    Renewing the address doesn't help.
    If I shut down ZA, everythings works.
    If I shutdown ZA, connect to a website, and then reactivate ZA, I can't connect to anything else.
    Only solution thus far is rebooting, which is quite time consuming.

Can one of you ZA guru's help?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: newbie help

<blockquote><hr>mi_k wrote:
    Hi,I have a dell M4300 laptop running WinXPsp2.
    ZoneAlarm version:7.0.462.000
    When my computer comes out of standby/sleep ZA blocks my connection to the internet.
    I use a wireless connection to a switch, then router, than DSL modem.When I come out of standby, the computer shows a good connection strength.
    Renewing the address doesn't help.
    If I shut down ZA, everythings works.
    If I shutdown ZA, connect to a website, and then reactivate ZA, I can't connect to anything else.
    Only solution thus far is rebooting, which is quite time consuming.

Can one of you ZA guru's help?

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)

<hr></blockquote>

Normally I would say the PC/ZA is losing the connection to the DHCP server, but this is not the case.
    When the PC goes into sleep, if the harddrive shuts off, then the ZA is effectively stopped and cannot resume where it left off.
    Just change the sleep settings so the drive does not **bleep** off and reboot and see if the PC/ZA still has a connection.
    Sleep mode does a few other things such as possiblely disabling the network card (in the network connection properties | advanced) and this too can have an effect on the state of the connection and to resume.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

mi_k Guest

Thank you, Oldsod for your reply.
    My network card is definately shut down in standby, as the pop up to tell me I'm connected reappears on &quot;wakeup&quot;.
    What still confuses me is, if I shut down ZA and restart it, why wouldn't that solve the problem,
    instead of requiring a reboot?

Not really, if the dhcp server connection has been dropped since it would take a reboot to send out a new broadcast and get reconnected. So maybe the dhcp server's connection does get dropped and this may help to resolve the problem:

Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Extra help is found at Guru Hoov site for the DNS/DHCP.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

hammernu Guest

Would it help to release and renew your Internet connection?
    Go to a command window and enter the commands:ipconfig /releaseipconfig /renew

I myself put the following commands into a batch file, then create a shortcut to it which runs it minimized. That way, I can click on the shortcut to do the dirty work:REM Release and renew local network connection
    REM
    ipconfig /release
    ping -n 1 127.0.0.1 &gt; nul
    ipconfig /renew

<blockquote><hr>HammerNU wrote:
    Would it help to release and renew your Internet connection?
    Go to a command window and enter the commands:ipconfig /releaseipconfig /renew

I myself put the following commands into a batch file, then create a shortcut to it which runs it minimized. That way, I can click on the shortcut to do the dirty work:REM Release and renew local network connection
    REM
    ipconfig /release
    ping -n 1 127.0.0.1 > nul
    ipconfig /renew
    <hr></blockquote>

It wouldn't do any harm to renew the IP.
    But usually if the PC is direct to internet, it will not change the assigned IP as by the provider.
    If on a private network, the PC will still have to accept the IP as assigned by the DHCP server of the local network.

It can be useful to remove a self assigned IP or the wrong IP (if the correct IP is known), but still the dhcp client service has to obtain an assigned IP from the dhcp server.

If the broadcast to the local network are blocked or stopped, that too can also be the problem with re-establishing the connection with the dhcp server. (and not just the usual UDP traffic between the bootps and bootpc ports).

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-16-2008 04:20 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information