Thread: TrueVector & antivirus disabled when visiting webpage

grashdur Guest

Default TrueVector & antivirus disabled when visiting webpage

I was visiting a lot of webpages, researching information on various companies. I was at the website www.waldecks.com (an office-supply store) and clicked on one of the links from the homepage, and _presto_! Suddenly my computer's connection to the internet is blocked, and the ZoneAlarm tray icon is replaced by an X!

I reboot the computer, and still have the same problem: ZoneAlarm antivirus is disabled, and the option to reactivate it is greyed out. And I still have no connection to the internet. And now when I go into the ZoneAlarm window, I see red text warning me ominously, "System Error: Please Reboot."

However, my other computer (which runs Linux) has no problem accessing the internet, and it can still access files through my network on the computer that's having the problem.

ZoneLabs' tech support line is closed on weekends (and it's pretty expensive!). Anybody have any idea what's going on here and what to do?

specifics: The system in question is a Gateway desktop computer running Windows XP Media Center Edition. 1GB of RAM, 180GB HD. I'm using ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 7.0.470.000.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:Other ZoneAlarm Product

Default Re: TrueVector & antivirus disabled when visiting webpage

Usually when this happens you got hammered with a lot of incoming attempts to get into your computer. Disable the start on boot option in ZA, reboot and try to start it manually and see what happens.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

grashdur Guest

This is weird -- the last time I came here, there were two postings responding to my problem. Now only one.

First, I tried Hoov's suggestion but it didn't work: The box for choosing whether to start ZoneAlarm at bootup could not be unchecked.

Second, I tried loveyouforever's suggestion: I went to the link suggested, and downloaded the updated ZoneAlarm (version 7.0.743). I copied it to the computer in question, installed it, and rebooted, and now everything appears to be normal again.

Just one problem: Where is the virus that caused this problem in the first place? I scanned for viruses, and none were found. I wanted to try scanning in safe mode, as I've heard that's a good idea, but I can't find any way to get into safe mode: pressing F8, F10, F2, F11 at the start of the bootup process -- none of these works on my computer now. Some time last year I managed to get into safe mode once, but then ZoneAlarm would not run in safe mode.

So do I still have a virus? Or was it just a defect in ZoneAlarm, rather than a virus? Any ideas?

I doubt if it was a virus. It could be what I said, or something on the website, or just cosmic radiation.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

Thread Information