Thread: ZA and ftp downloads

isabellevt Guest

Default ZA and ftp downloads

I am unable to download drivers, etc. from sites which have links to their ftp downloads; e.g., Epson "ftp.epson.com". I have the same problem with downloads from sites such as APC (software for their battery backups).

Is there a way to configure ZA to allow those downloads without compromising security? I am not a computer expert and would appreciate any help you can provide, in dummy language.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ZA and ftp downloads

Hi!
    ZA should not block those downloads.
    Do you receive any specific error message that makes you think is ZA blocking FTP downloads?

Cheers,
    Fax

Message Edited by fax on 04-25-2008 05:39 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

isabellevt Guest

No, fax--no specific message from ZA (Epson and APC Support both assure me it's my firewall blocking it). Nothing happens when I click on the download button except that the browser busy icon keeps churning away and then my browser (both Firefox and IE) give me a message "can't open data connection".

Hi!shutdown ZASS (right click on the ZA icon near the clock) and try again to download.Does it work? If not, its not ZA...Which version of ZASS are you on? ZA 7.0.470?Cheers,Fax

Hi!the only thing that could block your FTPare settings in the ZA privacy control.Go to ZA privacy control tab --> Turn OFF mobile control if it is ON.Otherwise it may be other wrong/corruptedZA settings but if this is the case it will more difficult to track them remotely.Cheers,Fax

isabellevt Guest

Mobile was off and can't download with ZA off.

I'm using the latest ZA. I had the same problem with my old computer with an older version of ZA. A friend who knows computers tried FileZilla FTP and he couldn't get the download that way, either. Must be something unique to the way my computer(s) is configured or something on their (Epson, APC) end, so will probably have to live with it. I didn't think it was ZA because I got no warning --but thought I'd check here in case. I don't have any problem with any other type of download.

Thank you very much for your help,fax--I appreciate it.

Uuuhm, no idea... sorry If you got the problem even with ZA off then it must something different...Cheers,Fax

psthomas Guest

It sounds to me like your router is the problem. Do you have DSL?

loveyouforever Guest

Hi Isabellevt,

Try to reset the network (winsock) stack. Here is a technote from Microsoft on how to do this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/242468

Because NETSH is a command-line tool, open a command prompt by clicking the start button of task bar, selecting "Run..." and typing "cmd" (without quotation marks). Then click OK. On your screen you'll see a black window, titled "Command Prompt", some text within and a blinking cursor. Now please enter the following again without quotation marks. (Please press the ENTER key after each command and let NETSH modify your system by confirming each of the following operations in ZoneAlarm, if it might "complain".)

netsh interface reset all
    netsh interface ip reset resetlog.txt

If your XP system does feature service pack 2 you add may the following line as well:

netsh winsock reset

When you're finished, please reboot your system and check out your download(s) again. Good luck!

Best regards,

loveyouforever

Thread Information