Thread: Is ZoneAlarm causing my Call of Duty 4 Multiplayer Lag?

kenshinfx Guest

Default Is ZoneAlarm causing my Call of Duty 4 Multiplayer Lag?

Is my ZoneAlarm responsible for causing extreme lag during Call of Duty 4 on my PC?

I'm using a Linksys wired-router:Model: BEFSR41 V3Firmware Version: 1.04.8
    Internet Connection: AT&T DSL: 3264 kbps
    My router is connected to a desktop and a laptop computer.
    I play Call of Duty 4 on my laptop.
    Laptop Specs:CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 7200 @ 2.0 GHzMemory: 2 GB DDR2 400GPU: nVidia 7900Go GTX 512 MB
    Windows XP SP2 Professional

Call of Duty 4:Minimum requirements:
    CPU: Intel
    4 2.4 GHz, AMD
    Athlon 64 2800+ processor
    or any 1.8Ghz Dual Core Processor or better.
    RAM: 512MB RAM (768MB for Windows Vista)
    HD: 8GB Free SPace
    Geforce 6600, ATI
    9800Pro or better
    I shutdown all non-essential programs before online play and have nothing downloading in the background.
    The problem:
    During multiplayer games, I get huge lag spikes only during airstrikes.
    My frames-per-second (FPS) can go from 125 then suddenly down to 10 FPS within a split second!
    only occurs
    when someone calls in an airstrike.

I can play fine at 35-50 FPS with all the video settings on high, except AA, at 1280 x 768.

So it makes no sense that when I turn all the video settings to low
    or even off, decrease my resolution to 800x600, that I experience a huge frame-rate drop and extreme lag with said airstrikes.
    This lag
    resolves as soon as the airstike ends (ie: all the bombs have dropped).
    So, it's not a computer hardware problem.
    I have friends with
    much lower
    hardware specs compared to mine and they have no lag during airstrikes.
    The game actually has a "lag-o-meter" which displays how well you're in sync with the hosting game server.
    During the airstrikes, it shows that I'm out-of-sync with the game server.
    I've read that other
    anti-virus programs such as Vet Antivirus/CA Antivirus are
    the culprit in causing the airstrike lag.
    When they are placed in sleep mode or told to exclude COD4, the lag issue resolves.
    However, even when I turn-off/disable my ZoneAlarm software from the system tray, it makes no difference.
    Again, I highly doubt a computer hardware issue based on my system specs and the fact that I can play at very high graphical settings during M.P. without issue.
    In addition to experienceing that same problem with everything turned down or turned off and playing at very low resolution.

Question:Is there some feature of ZoneAlarm that is still running in the background
    and blocking/interferring with the airstrike packet flow between the game server and my PC even when it's suppossedly disabled?
    Is my only solution to uninstall ZoneAlarm on my laptop?
    Note: I haven't been able to find any similar mention of airstrike lag with ZoneAlarm, so I've decided to post here.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Antivirus

Message Edited by KenshinFX on 04-29-2008 08:42 AM

hammernu Guest

Default Re: Is ZoneAlarm causing my Call of Duty 4 Multiplayer Lag?

You're in luck (maybe)! I also run under Windows XP Pro and play Call of Duty 4. First, you're using an old version of ZoneAlarm Pro. Nevertheless, I run ZA Security Suite (the firewall is the same) and until the prior release (7.0.470.0) I had excessive lag in online games and many other applications. The solution: change the setting of Program Control > SmartDefense Advisor from Auto to Manual (I hope you have SmartDefense Advisor). Until I did this, ZA would cause exessive disk I/O to the point where it would take almost every program up to 10 or more seconds to load, plus other programs such as games would get excessive I/O while running to the point where they would hang for seconds at a time.

Thread Information