Thread: Problems with Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0??

hedera Guest

Default Problems with Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0??

I'm having a problem with Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0.
    This is a Dell Windows XP Professional system, SP2, with a 3 GHz CPU and (recently installed) 4 GB of memory (I used to have just 1 GB).
    I installed Elements 6.0
    last October and used it successfully for several months.
    Then I quit doing photo edits for awhile.
    During the lag, I changed internet security suites from Norton to ZAISS.
    Now, when I try to use Elements 6.0 to edit photos, it hangs when I try to go from the default edit mode to a different mode.
    However, it works correctly, and doesn't
    hang, on a newly created test ID on my system, which Adobe tech support suggested I set up.
    Adobe tech support suggested that something about my preferences or permissions has become corrupted and needs to be reset to default status;
    but they don't know what.
    I don't remember whether I had the hang problems with Elements before I installed ZAISS.
    I searched this forum for Photoshop Elements 6.0 but couldn't find anything conclusive.
    In the ZA Program Control section, all the columns have green X's for both Photoshop Elements 6.0 and Photoshop Elements 6.0 (Editor).
    Is there any special settings I need to be using for this program?
    Are there any known problems with this program?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Problems with Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0??

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>hedera wrote:
    I'm having a problem with Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0. This is a Dell Windows XP Professional system, SP2, with a 3 GHz CPU and (recently installed) 4 GB of memory (I used to have just 1 GB). I installed Elements 6.0last October and used it successfully for several months. Then I quit doing photo edits for awhile. During the lag, I changed internet security suites from Norton to ZAISS. Now, when I try to use Elements 6.0 to edit photos, it hangs when I try to go from the default edit mode to a different mode. However, it works correctly, and doesn'thang, on a newly created test ID on my system, which Adobe tech support suggested I set up. Adobe tech support suggested that something about my preferences or permissions has become corrupted and needs to be reset to default status; but they don't know what.I don't remember whether I had the hang problems with Elements before I installed ZAISS. I searched this forum for Photoshop Elements 6.0 but couldn't find anything conclusive. In the ZA Program Control section, all the columns have green X's for both Photoshop Elements 6.0 and Photoshop Elements 6.0 (Editor). Is there any special settings I need to be using for this program? Are there any known problems with this program?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Welcome back to the ZA User Forum..It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

1.) Are there any Error message?

2.) if your shut down ZASS does Adobe Photoshop Element 6.0 work OK?

Based on the information you have provided, here is a simple solution that may fix the problem, if the Adobe Configuration Data got Corrupted in the ZA Database..

First, make sure Adobe PhotoShop is shut down, then Go into ZASS Program Control/Program Tab and "Right Click" oneach the Listings for Adobe Photoshop and Click "REMOVE", this will remove Adobe Photoshop from your ZASS Database..

once all references to Adobe Photoshop are removed close the ZASS Menu..

Fire up Adobe Photoshop Element 6.0 and let ZASS pop-up a new Alert and Put check mark in the Remember this setting and Click apply or OK on the Alert..

Now play around with different elements of Adobe PhotoShop, to see how it works and see of any other ZASS Alerts pop-up..

Next Go back into ZASS Menu Program control and Look up the New listings for Adobe Photoshop and Give it Three Green Bars for Super Trusted and 2 Green check marks for Trusted and Internet Access....

Next.. Right Click on each Adobe Photoshop Listing and click "OPTIONS", now put a check mark in the in Both Advance Control options and Authenticate Components, no click OK..

Please Post Back with your progress Report..

--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.473.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.473.000
    Driver version:7.0.473.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:950228419
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200805.3815
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

hedera Guest

Default Re: Problems with Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0??

Thanks for the suggestions, GeorgeV - I went through your steps and did what you suggested. Things have improved a little. I'm not sure Elements was actually hung: I pulled up Microsoft Process Explorer (a GREAT free tool) to monitor it and discovered that it was actually using CPU from time to time when I thought it was hung; so I waited, and eventually it did come live. It can be used, you just have to wait a Very Long Time for it to load. I timed it at 3 min. 19 sec. to bring a photo to editing status. This was after I had made the ZASS changes. So I may simply not have been waiting long enough; but it's true that now, once it does load, it works reasonably well with normal response time. On the other hand, in the test account it the load and response are both sub-second, so something is obviously still wrong. It's better than it was.

I'm afraid my next step is to go through Adobe's ghastly technote on troubleshooting &quot;system errors or freezes&quot; on WinXP. I may have some corrupt registry entries. But I think I've done what I can with ZASS, and thanks again for the advice.

By the way, as I was going through your steps, ZASS never popped a single alert, so whatever Elements does, it doesn't annoy ZASS much at all. The new entries automatically came up with all green X's.

Thread Information