Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help with new install firewall

eaglewhu Guest

Default need help with new install firewall

Installed free firewall, installed great, tested and passed all, wished i chose zonealarm before using como**. Just having 1 issue, i use spy sweeper weebroot, and on zonealarms system area spy sweeper is allways there flashing and not flashing above programs, when i point with mouse it says "spy sweeper engine". In program control spy sweeper engine, access trusted allowed and internet allowed, can anyone help please. Many thanks eagle

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: need help with new install firewall

Shut down SpySweeper's Email shield. Mine is shut off.<HR>Webroot SpySweeper 5.5 that now includes a new "E-mail shield" that may conflict with several brands of firewalls and anti-virus. See - click here &gt; http://www.webroot.com/land/personal...all_config.php &lt; - plus a number of other FAQS you may need to know. Pleasecheck Webroot's Support for more information.<HR>Spy Sweeper 5.5 E-mail Attachment Shield
    and Personal Firewall Configuration

Some firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware, or anti-spam products running on the computer may conflict with Spy Sweeper's E-mail Attachment shield. If E-mail communication issues are observed after installing Spy Sweeper 5.5, it may be necessary to modify or disable the third-party application or Spy Sweeper's E-mail Attachment shield.

The following Firewall products have been tested by Webroot Software Inc. for compatibility: [click on the underlined software for additional information on adjustments you need to make]<UL><LI>Norton Internet Security 2007 <LI>McAfee Total Protection 2007 <LI>Windows Firewall <LI>Zone Alarm &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; <LI>Trend Micro's PC-cillin <LI>Panda AV + Firewall 2007 <LI>Armor2Net <LI>Commodo <LI>AVG Internet Security ....continues - seelink above.</LI>[/list]
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

eaglewhu Guest

Thanks for that, also since instaling firewall, my Gmail notifier dosent let me know when a email has arrived, i have it in my active programs access trusted and internet ticked, any clues, worked fine before. cheers eagle.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>eaglewhu wrote:
    Thanks for that, also since instaling firewall, my Gmail notifier dosent let me know when a email has arrived, i have it in my active programs access trusted and internet ticked, any clues, worked fine before. cheers eagle.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Do you also have the Send Mail ticked?mine also has three Green Bars for Supper trusted and Custom lable..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.473.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.473.000
    Driver version:7.0.473.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:949924481Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200804.3805
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV

eaglewhu Guest

in
    program control
    i have gmail ticked in access, trusted and internet but windows explorer and windows defender, zone alarm client, service executable, application layer g.., i have not ticked any of them they just have blue question marks for trusted and internet as i am not sure what they should be. My emails are working fine now. any clue on the other which i wrote above. cheers for all your help eagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>eaglewhu wrote:
    inprogram controli have gmail ticked in access, trusted and internet but windows explorer and windows defender, zone alarm client, service executable, application layer g.., i have not ticked any of them they just have blue question marks for trusted and internet as i am not sure what they should be. My emails are working fine now. any clue on the other which i wrote above. cheers for all your help eagle
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks for your Feedback..here is some other forum links that may answer your other items..http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=77921
    http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73645--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.473.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.473.000
    Driver version:7.0.473.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:949924481
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200804.3805
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV

naivemelody Guest

Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..
    Double Left Click on the Zone Alarm icon in your System tray will display the main menu of Zone Alarm
    On the Left side are all of your Options for Control and Configuring Zone Alarm..
    Just to the right of those Options is a brief description of each Option,and if you click on an option on the left, the description of that option will change to fit that option..
    You might benefit from reading these descriptions..
    anytime that you Allow or deny access to a Program or function that ZA pops-up an Alert,That information is stored in the &quot;PROGRAM CONTROL&quot; Option under the &quot;Program&quot; tab
    Click on Program Control, this will display a new page, at the TOP of that page Click the &quot;Program&quot; tabThat will open a new page.. on the left is the names of the files and programs being controlled..
    Look down the list for whatever program you are having a problem with....
    in the &quot;Trusted Level&quot; Column of
    (that program name)
    LEFT Click and Click on SUPER, this will place 3 Green Bars in that ColumnThe next Column is &quot;ACCESS&quot; Left Click in that Column and change Red X's to Green Check marks for &quot;Trusted&quot; and &quot;Internet&quot; accessChange all other Marks on that Line to &quot;?&quot; Question Marks for Ask..
    Now you should not have anymore problem with
    (That Program)
    or any other program listed in Program Control..
    NOTE: Make sure all of the following Programs have Trusted and Internet access (2 Green Check Marks):
    a.) All Microsoft and Windows Programs have Green Check marks for Trusted and Internet Access..b.) Generic Host Process for win32 Services (svchost.exe) also allow Trusted Server Rights (no Internet Server Rights)c.) IE Crash Detectiond.) Internet Explorer or FireFoxe.) Malicious Software Removal Toolf.) True Vector Service
    (If it is listed)g.) Zone Alarm Clienth.) Zone Alarm Updating Clienti.) Your Email Client needs Trusted, Internet access
    and Send Mail all need Green check Marks..<hr>Right click ZA tray icon &gt; see &quot;Help&quot; = this is your User Guide. Please read thru to familiarize yourself with the normal set-up, customizations available to you. <hr>See/ click here for more info. on programs &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...id=90693#M9487
    -<hr>

eaglewhu Guest

Many thanks for your reply, so when i go in to program control and click one of the programs it tells you what they are ie. windows explorer it says product name:microsoft windows operating systems

File name:C:\windows\explorer.exe

File name C:\windows\system32\alg.exe

etci would allow access trusted and internet to this because i know this is being used by my pcAlso my anti virus is there AVG would i allow thiswhat is the difference between access and serverMany thanks for your help as u can see i not very clued up with firewalls as i have always used xp firewall, i did try comod* but when i explained in the forum about my problems they got a bit tech with me i didn't know if i was coming or going especially with s**host allow one day, then someone else said
    don't allow next day in the end i removed it.but i found zonealarm very user friendly and the forum.if there is any thing else you can think of i would be very grateful, all the best, Eagle

naivemelody Guest

Click here here for more info. &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...=100321#M24892<hr>For the most part Server column will usually have more &quot; red X or ? &quot; instead of green checks. Exceptions as described in link above include: on-line video game playing, web cams, listening/ watching any 'live' radio/ videos, etc.
    - If you use MSN Livemail/Hotmail, AOL -AIM, Gmail, OutLook,
    any email software-program &gt; will need a green check in &quot;Send Mail&quot; column.
    - If your not sure of a software/ program you can do a search with the 'red box' on top of page and see if there are any posts that will offer insights; or you can search in the internet with: processlist.com, processlibrary.com, etc. - to find out what a program does and if it's a legit or malware file.
    - Again, read thru the User Guide as I had previously mentioned. Check 'trouble-shooting' chapter &gt; sub chapter 'third-party software' for additional info. for specfic situations and conditions/ settings.
    - If a program/ software appears to stop working; maybe 'adjustments' with the program control will help.

eaglewhu Guest

Many thanks for all your help and advice, just one thing you said you have send mail column in program control, programs but i haven't, is it because i have the free firewall.All the best Eaglewhu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information