Thread: Zone Alarm Pro and Windows XP's notification area (icons missing!)

Hybrid View

asheem Guest

Default Zone Alarm Pro and Windows XP's notification area (icons missing!)

My problem is when XP first shows the deskop and starts the process of
    loading icons in the notification area (that's where the clock and other protection, IM icons are located).
    Very often, not all icons are loaded or maybe are loaded but do not appear in
    that area. In the worst case, I'm left with ZAP's icon and Skype only. Not even
    audio control (which if needed, can be accessed from command line, by typing sndvol32). The problem sorts itself after 3 or so reboots, or if I wait a long time whilst entering my XP login and password (at that screen, somehow XP is working really hard at this stage and if i enter my login/pwd too quickly, I know that i will have a problem with my icons loading up).
    I did uninstall ZAP and tried other stuff such as: Kaspersky and afterwards, F-Secure. With them two, I don't have the missing icons problem. Right now, I'm back to ZAP 7 with NOD32 AV.

Thanks for any information.

My computer's specs:--------------------------------I use a VAIO FE21s (OS: XP MCE (SP2)) and

the Vaio
    icons are: Wifi/Bluetooth Controller, Battery Metre and Mouse Pad. On top of that I have icons for Skype and Intel PROset wireless controller. As for XP, it adds the Volume Controller, LAN and WAN icons.
    As for my internet security I use a combo of ZAP7 and ESET NOD32 AV.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: Zone Alarm Pro and Windows XP's notification area (icons missing!)

Hi!
    this is a known XP issue... VISTA seems to have sorted it out.
    Either you wait before login (as you mentioned) or after the boot, you log-off (not restart) and log back in.

Try to defrag your HD and clean your system/registry to improve performance.

Cheers,
    Fax

Message Edited by fax on 05-05-2008 04:11 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

I agree with Guru Fax..Here is something else to Check on WindowsXP..Right Click on the Taskbar, now Click "Properties.."a new window will pop up..Make sure that these two Options are Un-Checked..1.) Auto-Hide the Taskbar2.) Hide inactive Icons--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.473.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.473.000
    Driver version:7.0.473.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:950366533
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200805.3815
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

asheem Guest

Hi Guru Fax,
    I had no idea that it was an XP problem. I've been a Zone Alarm user since 1999-ish, turned to the Pro version about
    4 yrs ago (i was using XP back then)
    but only had this problem with XP MCE (over the last 1.5 years).
    Am kind of annoyed because for the first time ever, this year, I uninstalled ZAP and tried separately,
    trial-versions of: F-Secure and Kaspersky. And the missing icon problem didn't occur.

Cleaning the registry doesn't help either (I've tried PC Tools' Registry Mechanic). So far, I am not entirely positive but
    i feel it's a bug in ZAP which interferes with the loading sequence.
    Hey GeorgeV, I've also tried to uncheck the following but still no luck:1.) Auto-Hide the Taskbar2.) Hide inactive Icons
    ...maybe i need to upgrade to Vista (not that i want to).

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>asheem wrote:
    Hi Guru Fax,I had no idea that it was an XP problem. I've been a Zone Alarm user since 1999-ish, turned to the Pro version about4 yrs ago (i was using XP back then)but only had this problem with XP MCE (over the last 1.5 years).Am kind of annoyed because for the first time ever, this year, I uninstalled ZAP and tried separately,trial-versions of: F-Secure and Kaspersky. And the missing icon problem didn't occur.Cleaning the registry doesn't help either (I've tried PC Tools' Registry Mechanic). So far, I am not entirely positive buti feel it's a bug in ZAP which interferes with the loading sequence.Hey GeorgeV, I've also tried to uncheck the following but still no luck:1.) Auto-Hide the Taskbar2.) Hide inactive Icons...maybe i need to upgrade to Vista (not that i want to).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for your Feedback..Here is a Forum Link to read before you try upgrading to Vista..http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=162---------------------------------------
    My Vista Configuration:

----------------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.1.254.000
    TrueVector version:7.1.254.000
    Driver version:7.1.254.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:950443830
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200805.3815
    AntiSpam version:5.0.0.8843
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Second Computer Vista Home Premium SP1