Thread: Duration of scanning is way too long!

n_dine Guest

Default Duration of scanning is way too long!

Perhaps the size of my filesystem is unusually large, but I doubt that it is unusual at all for this day and age. I am continually frustrated by the duration of scanning by Zone Alarm, when starting scans at 1:00 a.m. does not finish before the start of my day, and since scanning monopolizes cycles on my machine. I wish for a more user-friendly set of configuration options. Am I missing them?

Perhaps I am not configuring Zone Alarm correctly. I would expect it to be able to accept a configuration that would let it skip right on past files that (and even folders the contents of which) have had no changes subsequent to the last full scan. Is this possible? Are there reasons for not making it easy to do?

Another example: it seems to me to be an elementary notion to let users SAVE multiple scanning configurations, AND to be able to schedule multiple partial scans rather than just a single configuration for scanning, so that, for example, a user might have rotating partial scanning done every day, with the entire hard disk being scanned over the course of the week. The simplest implementation would be to let users schedule scans of different hard disks (or logical drives) for different days of the week. Of course, for persons with just one large c: drive, it would be necessary to let them select folders/directories to scan on some partial scan basis.

Here is another thought: TEMPORARILY pausing a scan ought to be configurable as well, so that a paused scan would automatically resume after some period of time. This would let me regain temporary control of a useable machine mid-scan without worrying about having too long an interruption of the scanning, and could ensure me that scanning would resume when the machine is idling after I finish whatever priority work I needed to get done.

Has Zone Alarm ever included such features? Are they coming (soon?)? I suspect that everyone whose drive congestion is growing would welcome such features. Are there add-ons or overlays in after-market products which offer such features for Zone Alarm?

first2000+sysadmin.software.zonealarm AT fastmail.us is an off-forum email address for anyone who wishes to communicate directly with me.

Any help will be appreciated.

Daniel

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Duration of scanning is way too long!

Hi!this forum is not monitored by ZA staff, we are only users here.If you want to get in contact with ZA please write to www.zonealarm.com/tsformand report about your problems and suggested improvements.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information