Thread: 99% CPU usage

kalina Guest

Default 99% CPU usage

Running WinXp sp2 Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite 7.0.4700.000
    Problem is that when ZA first starts all is ok but after a few hours the Scanning Process shows 99% even with nothing else running. It sometimes takes 4-5 minutes then to open a program or close on if it happens to be open.
    What is cause of this? I have ran all kinds of spyway, malware, virus scans and see no problems. Very aggrevating! Help please.
    Thank you.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: 99% CPU usage

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Kalina wrote:
    Problem is that when ZA first starts all is ok but after a few hours the Scanning Process shows 99% even with nothing else running. It sometimes takes 4-5 minutes then to open a program or close on if it happens to be open.
    What is cause of this? I have ran all kinds of spyway, malware, virus scans and see no problems. Very aggrevating! Help please.
    Thank you.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..
    If you would Describe your Computer Setup/OS and Version of Zone Alarm that you are having a problem with
    and what difficulty you are having, and what Previous Version of ZA and Norton, McAfee or other Security programs that you have installed,
    there are several very knowledgeable Volunteer Participants willing to help you try solving your problem with Zone Alarm..Please provide as much detail and error messages etc. that you see on your ComputerMonitor. 1.) If you have any other Security programs other than Windows Firewall (Which ZoneAlarm Turns Off by Default), installed or running real time in addition to ZoneAlarm Security Suite, and conflict with ZoneAlarm and waste CPU and Memory Resources..I have seen many different explanations, from NERO applications to Nvidia control center, nvdia nTunes, Spysweeper shields, Spyware doctor,AMD machines, not updated drivers, Catalyst Control Center, microsoft desktop search, low memory, and so on...2.) some Computer Users think that if one Firewall and anti-Virus is good, two or three different ones running at the same time must be better?

3.) have you properly un-installed any previous firewall and/or anti-virus?? = this needs to be done - http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154. Most new pc/laptops come with pre-installed security software, which should be properly un-installed prior to installing any ZoneAlarm firewall product. <HR>

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<HR>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel. Please post back with more details about what you have installed on your computer..
    Please Right Click on the ZA Tray icon on the Lower Right and Click the "About" Option this will pop up a windows with all the Info about your Version Of ZA including the complete Version Number.. Click the "Copy to Clipboard" and Paste that information Here in the Forum by pressing the "CTRL-V" key..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.473.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.473.000
    Driver version:7.0.473.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:953178370
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200805.4105
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

<blockquote><hr>Kalina wrote:
    Thank you.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>

It could be there are too many security programs running all at the same time.
    Each of these will have many kernel and user hooks into the windows and they will cause issues with the operating system.
    It could be you have too many un-needed services running with windows or too many applications starting up with the windows startup. This can also casue issues.

When the scanning process starts to use the high cpu, are you using any archives or zips or cab files or rars or any stored compressed folder on the drive as by windows?

Do you have sufficent RAM for the computer, and have performed a disk check and system file check and a defragmentation recently for some regular maintenace?

Is the ZA Program Control slider set at High or Medium?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

kalina Guest

The only Security I have running is the ZA Secuity Suite
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.470.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.470.000
    Driver version:7.0.470.000
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:953316490
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200806.4125

Using Thunderbird and Firefox
    I do not have un-needed sevices running or many programs in the startup.

I have 512MB of RAM
    And not using zips or cab files or rars when CPU slows
    I regularly do cleanups: Spybot, Ad-aware, CCleaner, Eusing Free Registry Cleaner, Disk Cleanup and Defragmenter.

Program Control is set to High

Try it without enabling the spybot s&d tea timer.
    Turn off the adwatch in the ad-aware.
    How many programs are running, as seen in the taskmanager?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

kalina Guest

I have not got ad-aware of Spybot set to run.
    I did clean out a ton of ZA logs.
    Also turned off the Real time protection in Windows Defender and since doing both, 2 days now, it seems to running much better. CPU is up and down as it should be and not sticking at 99%.
    Thanks for help.

You are welcome.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

greek_teacher Guest

<blockquote><hr>Kalina wrote:
    The only Security I have running is the ZA Secuity Suite
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.470.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.470.000
    Driver version:7.0.470.000
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:953316490
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200806.4125

Using Thunderbird and Firefox
    I do not have un-needed sevices running or many programs in the startup.

I have 512MB of RAM
    And not using zips or cab files or rars when CPU slows
    I regularly do cleanups: Spybot, Ad-aware, CCleaner, Eusing Free Registry Cleaner, Disk Cleanup and Defragmenter.

Program Control is set to High

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++

You might have some strange thing in the background taking all your system resources. I suggest to start by downloading a dynamite system utility that will most likely allow you to see exactly what is taking all your resources. First do a ctrl-alt-del, and choose the option Task Manager. Task Manager will show most system operations, and often the exact process taking the 99%. If it is a &quot;System&quot; process, it will not allow you to kill it, or reduce its Base Priority, which would likely allow you to navigate under most circumstances.

A super utility at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...84cb9e2f5.aspx called Process Explorer will allow you to kill MANY more processes that Task Manager will not allow, and allow you to see specific subsystems below the main tree level. You can find this at:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx
    The name of it is Process Explorer.</blockquote>

kalina Guest

It was ScanningProcess.exe that kept going to 99% usage. I did all the cleanups and it was
    ok for a few days but then it started again. I then uninstalled Windows Defender and it has
    been much better since...not going to 99% as it was. I have not reinstalled the windows
    defender and don't think I really need it anyway. I cannot find anything else that is using
    so much of the systems resources.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Kalina wrote:
    It was ScanningProcess.exe that kept going to 99% usage. I did all the cleanups and it was
    ok for a few days but then it started again. I then uninstalled Windows Defender and it has
    been much better since...not going to 99% as it was. I have not reinstalled the windows
    defender and don't think I really need it anyway. I cannot find anything else that is using
    so much of the systems resources.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Click on Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware section, Click Advanced Option..1.) set Scaning Priority to "HIGH"2.) Click Scan Modes..Choosed Normal Scan or Deep Scan, But Turn Off Ultra Deep Scan as that Only needs to Run Once in a while..3.) Click OK..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information