Previous post:<blockquote>vsmon is locking up my computer even though Task Manager shows it is only using 10-20% of CPU time.Running on XP SP2, 2.8G Pentium D, 1G ram, ZASS ver 7.0.470.000
Each time I try to start a new application vsmon grabs control and will not let anything else run unless it is already running on the desktop (not minimized on the task bar).
It doesn't even let the screen update to release the &quot;button&quot; (eg &quot;start&quot; that was &quot;pressed&quot;.

Looking at TaskMgr, there is a jump in activity to 10-20% for about 85 secs followed by a drop to near zero for about 3 secs and then another cycle of 10-20% for about 85 secs.
Net result is a three minute wait to do anything.
TaskMgr shows huge I/O read for vsmon - currently about 180 GB - about twice the used space on my C: drive.
I have turned off on-access-scanning, but it appears that vsmon is scanning continuously even though not scheduled for a month.

This is worse than any virus I have ever seen - what can I do?</blockquote><blockquote>

Operating System:
Windows XP Home Edition SP2
Software Version:
Product Name:
ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
</blockquote>

I would love to give you a set of instructions as the site Guru's do, but unfortunately I don't know which of the following actions was truly responsible for fixing it.

One suggestion was that I should reset ZASS by ctrl-shft-rightclick on the Z icon.

I did this without seeming to fix the problem.
I then turned off the AV which seemed to get the offending vsmon out of the way and restored performance, but not necessarily an attractive long-term solution.

I ran this way for a day +, then updated to Win XP SP3, updated the AV .dat file and restarted.
I then turned on AV and ran a full scan to see if I had caught anything.

Interestingly, vsmon was barely active (0-1%, instead of 10-20%) and two copies of ScanningProcess.exe were running (one per core?) at a civilized level of 1-2%.
In the middle of a full AV scan I now had way more performance than I previously had when idling!!

At the completion of the AV scan the two ScanningProcess's had each done about 1.5 GB I/O reads and vsmon about 0.5 GB.
Previously, vsmon would rack up 3 or 4 GB's and no significant activity on ScanningProcess.
Could be that the &quot;old&quot; (not sure it changed in the update) ScanningProcess.exe file was bad and vsmon was doing whatever it's scan support role was without the scan taking place??

Don't know, but things seem better - hope this may help someone else.....:8}

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
Software Version:7.0
Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite